[PS3] Demon Souls

Kinda annoying, yeah. Still, as far as environments in games go it's as creepy as they come if you ask me.

Seriously, Survival Horror games could learn a couple of things from Demon's Souls. It makes most of the "real" horror games look tame and amateurish.

Yeah, DS has a lot in common with a good horror game. Worlds 3 and 5 especially. The atmosphere is really great. Seeing things move through the darkness, knowing that every mistake can cost you. The paranoia from being invaded.

The believability also helps a lot. Each world makes sense in it's own twisted way. Most games feel artificial because everything is design around the player. Whereas in DS the world stands on it's own, and your merely passing through.

World 3-1 is the best for me. Freaking scary. I happened to watch an invader teleport to my world. I thought he was some in-game event. XD

Didn't think the developers would create the GANTZ-like teleport effect in the game.

Sigfried, taking on the Maneaters is fun if you have Warding. I enjoyed it more than Flamelurker. I would like to try the blind hero if I have the time.

Cornsnake, I believe all 2-handed weapons can be wielded on 1 hand if your stats is double the requirements (or more)

Cornsnake, I believe all 2-handed weapons can be wielded on 1 hand if your stats is double the requirements (or more)

No, it's the other way around. You can use a weapon 2-handed if you only have half the required stats, but you'll need the full requirements to 1-hand it. And that only work for the strength stat. Technically you can still 1-hand it without the required stats, but you'll do a lot less damage.

Ah, may have remembered it wrongly ! :oops:

I thought Dragonbone Smasher is a two-handed weapon, but apparently it's a one handed gear. Some people carry one in each hand. I made the wrong conclusion based on my memory of the 2-hand rule. ^_^

I just fought Old Hero.
Ugh, I feel like I've dirtied my hands by killing a total noob. He never managed to hit me even once, I mean how could he, the guy is blind.

Getting to him was a much better challenge. Tricky Reapers hiding in a corner, attacking you while your distracted.

I was going to ask if he has a one-hit kill ^_^
I was told he can sense your location if you attack him. He could also hear your armor and footstep. I basically strip and attack him steathily. From your description, it sounds like you were wearing the leather armor ?

EDIT: I'll be at the real Pantheon tomorrow ! :)
Really look forward to see it. I visited Sam Gimignano the other day, and it reminded me of Demon's Souls too. Very cool !

Yep, leather armour, and a thief's ring. I felt sorry for the guy. I could just stand there safely, while he was just randomly hitting things. After he hits something, walk in and hit him a few times, and he still didn't know where I was. I could easily stay behind his back while he was probably attacking where I used to be.

Yeah, sounds about right.
I heard he can be very tough if you wear a noisy armor to his battle. I haven't tried it myself. Like you, I felt sorry for him during both my encounters in NG and NG+

I'm burning through the game now. :p

I killed the following.

The Storm King. Pretty cool fight, it's a shame the Stormruler's special attack only works in that level.

Satsuki. I gave him the Makoto. I'm not sure why I deserve to get closer to black character tendency for killing that dumbass in selfdefence. Easy fight.

The Red Dragon. Killed with only 2 arrows. :oops:

Penetrator. I got through the whole level and killed him without dying. Had some great fights against those Red Eye Knight's along the way.

Also, one of the followers of Saint Urbain decided to go and rescue him. I thought it was pretty cool that he actually went. But now I've saved Saint Urbain, beaten every boss in world 4, but he hasn't returned. He's not coming back right?

It's not going as fast now. But I have just made some excellent progress. :cool:

I killed the Blue Dragon. Which took significantly longer then the Red Dragon. I had to use well over a hundred arrows, and only just managed to kill him before Biorr died.

Old King Doran. Haven't killed him yet because I only needed the Demonbrandt. Killing him also would have pushed my character tendency towards black.

BP Satsuki. I lost my white character tendency by killing his body from. So it's fitting that killing his BP from should restore it. Pretty good fight. I died a bunch of times before killing him.

False King Allant. It took about 7 or 8 attempts, and I lost a few Soul Levels while fighting him. I switched strategies a few times before finally beating him. I used my light armour again, the Demonbrandt and Dark Silver Shield, and the Warding spell for added protection. That didn't go too well. So I got the Second Change miracle, and used that instead of Warding. I had to use a ring to get the extra miracle slot to be able to use it. I almost killed him once like this. When I did kill him I used 2 Uchigatana's, no shield, Second Change once, (which I only then found out can't be used simultaneously with Warding) and Warding after Second Change was used up. Awesome fight.

Now there is only Old Monk left before the end game. But before that I want to all the world tendency events. So I can hopefully get a real player against Old Monk when I start playing online again.

I actually haven't tried Stormruler at all. :(

Knew King Allant would be a good fight for you. Old King Doran should be difficult too.

Also BP Satsuki, how did you kill him ? (As in what approach did you take ?)

Also, one of the followers of Saint Urbain decided to go and rescue him. I thought it was pretty cool that he actually went. But now I've saved Saint Urbain, beaten every boss in world 4, but he hasn't returned. He's not coming back right?

I forgot how it goes already. Didn't even remember Sir Urbain had 2-3 followers in the Nexus. :oops:

I actually haven't tried Stormruler at all. :(

Knew King Allant would be a good fight for you. Old King Doran should be difficult too.

Also BP Satsuki, how did you kill him ? (As in what approach did you take ?)

I forgot how it goes already. Didn't even remember Sir Urbain had 2-3 followers in the Nexus. :oops:

I tried fighting Old King Doran. Hit him once and did 27 damage, which looks like nothing on his health bar. So I'll hold off on that fight for now.

On BP Satsuki I used the same strategy he did. Light armour, Uchigatana +10, and a shield. A direct hit would instantly kill me, so I either had to block or dodge his attacks. By constantly moving around, and only attacking him after he has to recover from his attacks, and always leaving enough stamina to block or dodge a few times, I beat him. That's usually how I approach most boss fights.

I found the answer to whether or not Saint Urbain comes back on the DS wiki. Apparently he's always gone after you rescue Saint Urbain.

On BP Satsuki I used the same strategy he did. Light armour, Uchigatana +10, and a shield. A direct hit would instantly kill me, so I either had to block or dodge his attacks. By constantly moving around, and only attacking him after he has to recover from his attacks, and always leaving enough stamina to block or dodge a few times, I beat him. That's usually how I approach most boss fights.

Pretty much ! After a few failures, I decided that armor is useless. Took off everything and attacked him repeatedly without break until he fell. Because I had nothing on, I could regain my stamina faster than he could recover. :p

Never done that again. I gave up on King Allant the moment he sucked one level out of me (AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH !!!). Killed him slowly with posion cloud instead. :oops:

I never cared much for losing soul levels. Everytime it was the Dexterity stat that I lost. Which I had plenty of to begin with. And gaining soul levels is easy, pure black 4-3, killing those Manta things with the Stormruler.

BP Scirvir is starting to annoy me. He kills me everytime in one shot. Even using Water Veil. Hopefully Miralda's armour will have enough fire protection.

Edit:
I killed BP Scirvir. I played a game of dodgeball with him, dodging his fire magic until it ran out. After that it was easy. I thought the Talisman of Beasts would be nice to have, but now I don't have the stats to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully someone has an answer to this. I bought the spell Light Weapon, but it won't let me use it on about half the weapons I have. Is that normal? Because it seems pretty arbitrary to me which weapons can, or cannot, use it.

Edit: Found the answer. It's completely arbitrary. Stupid game and it's idiotic rules. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think each type of weapon has slightly different behavior. What does Light Weapon do ? I never use it. :oops:

It adds magic damage to a weapon.

I found a list on the DS wiki of which weapons can, or cannot, be enchanted. Some of the upgrade paths can, others can't. Some of the special weapons can, others can't. The weapon I bought it for can't. :devilish:

Well,
Old King Doran is dead. I got sick of his nonsense and backstabbed him to death. Which oddly enough is the only way to do any reasonable amount of damage on him. Any other way and my weapons had their damage reduced anywhere between a factor of 5 and 10.

Maybe I'll try fighting him properly in new game+. For now I'd rather finish up the last few things I need to do before beating the game.

Back