[PS3] Demon Souls

LOL he thinks there's gonna be a sequel. A hardcore RPG without any animu aspects to attract the usual Atlus niche. I'm just happy we got a game like this in today's easier game development ways. Just beat the first boss and am loving it. I can already tell it's going to be second only to Vagrant Story in my favorite RPGs ever.

I'm certain there will be a sequel. Sony may not have had faith in Demon's Souls originally, but it's turned out to be a sleeper hit and Sony gave it a lot of exposure by giving it a spot for a while in the top row of the What's New section. Of all the large scale games I've seen promoted in the What's New section, only Uncharted 2 has been there longer.

You mean run out of stamina... ?
No I get hit when trying to avoid them in close combat, or when I do the roll towards them to attack them from behind, about half the time I fail and get hit :(

Got a real nice sword in 4-1, thanks to betan's tip, but I haven't gone far enough for the shield, the enemies were just too fast and too powerful for me, I stopped after seeing the tutorial boss there. I always wear the thief ring, otherwise I cannot kill the red eyed versions of guards, I spam soul arrow, run away out of sight, and repeat 10 times. This works well for the red eyed guard in 1-1 as well. I also got the purple flame shield for now.

It was the fire lizards that killed me in 2-1, when 3 dropped from a ceiling and blocked me from both sides so I couldnt run away.

I see that you're fighting the skeleton warriors. ^_^

You can try lock-on, move backwards and circle the rolling skeletons. Takes a little practice. When they are close to you, they would stand up to strike you. At that moment, you could circle behind them (No need to roll). If you roll, they may also start rolling again. Then hilarity may ensue. 8^P

I always soul arrow fire lizards. You're in that room with lot's of fire lizards when you died ?

EDIT: Nowadays because I have much longer health bar and cooler weapon ^_^, I could go in anytime and one-hit the skeletons. They are still nasty enough to take out most of my health if I am not careful though. Cannot let my eyes off the enemies.

I prefer to hit them as they start rolling towards you. Dragon claymore +2 (or was it +3?) is a one hit kill for the regular terminators in NG. With a claymore you have a pretty good reach so if you time it right they never get close enough to hit you.

btw, dragon weps are probably the best for NG. Dragon claymore +5 does almost 400 damage and you can get that relatively early in the game by farming ores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I wanted to build a Dragon Claymore + 5 the other day. My Dragon Sword + 4 is ok, but deals short of 200 damages. I am trying out Demonbrandt now. It delivers 480-490 damages, but the swing is too wide/far. Great for open area but could get myself killed in narrow corridors.

I finished the game yesterday at soul level 90 (morning at about 3 AM), I had a fantastic streak killing 4 demons in a row without dying (+one invading black phantom who was poisoning/plaguing me in 5-2, good luck with that my friend ;-) ).

Just fantastic.

As I begun new game plus I started to read the guide and I must say I missed maany things (even one NPC who teaches you spells :oops: )... I even managed to finish the game without getting any non-demon trophy (hoped I will find at least all the rings, but seems I did not; I was playing an "good knight" in character so I never invaded any world etc., this is probably a additional reason I missed quite a few items and NPCs too).

Also, I have many demon souls unused, I was always like, lets wait to decide what I will choose (spell or miracle etc.) until I have problems with some monster...

My feelings about the game, after playing it through:

+perfect art design and feeling 5-x spoiler:
After I killed Garl Vinland, the maiden killed herself with a accusing sentence! Fantastic!
+finally a game which does not assume that I am an idiot
+great controls and ways to fight/make your char
+underrated story, it is good you just need to work for it and fill out the blanks by yourself
+the acting was criticized, IMO, it is good, I like the non-overacting voiceovers

-so,so engine et al, in my opinion average
-bad camera/lock on problems
-stupid "I cannot see where I jump down to" moments
-IMO, the difficulty level is not fine tuned at all; I had more problems with certain "normal mobs" then with some big demons; although
the summoned players of the monk killed me about 10 times ;) , I was cursing like mad- one killed me with some explosion like spell in one shot (was in soul form)
-too many guessing; many basic things are not explained enough
-why not learn from the big studios like Naughty Dog, if you have good CG sequences, let us replay them after we saw it in game
-no behind the scenes, I want to learn more about the designers, programmers and producers of such an unusual (and great) project

Have fun and good luck!

Hey, I want to build a Dragon Claymore + 5 the other day. My Dragon Sword + 4 is ok, but deals short of 200 damages. I am trying out Demonbrandt now. It delivers 480-490 damages, but the swing is too wide/far. Great for open area but could get myself killed in narrow corridors.

How do you get 480-90 damage? I thought Demonbrandt has no stat modifers except for white character tendency. I have white character tendency and it still deals considerably less damage than a Dragon Claymore +4 (NG).

I have no idea. I used it to farm 4-* last night. Will double check. Demonbrandt should be 130 + 110 according to the guidebook but the damage I saw was greater than 400 sometimes.

How do you get 480-90 damage? I thought Demonbrandt has no stat modifers except for white character tendency. I have white character tendency and it still deals considerably less damage than a Dragon Claymore +4 (NG).

I have 480:

Physical: 130 +130
Magical: 110 +110

Yemeth, is that two handed or regular damage ?

Also specwarGP2, since you completed NG, is Northern Regalia worth it ? I think that's the best sword in the game. I heard Meat Cleaver is strong but too slow.

I tried Dragon Bone Smasher. All the regular enemies literally dove head first into the ground when I hit them. The upgraded DBS + 5 has 280 basic damage. Too bad it requires strength 30 and is super heavy. I'm still trying to up my endurance to roll with it freely (I have strength at 30 now).

For some reason, Makoto didn't click with me although it probably is the most damaging sword.

EDIT:
specwarGP2, my character tendency is pure white.

Patsu - I did finish the game but like an idiot I forgot to pick up soulbrandt on my way out :oops:

How did you get pure white tendency? I never killed any NPCs except for Yurt.

Check the archstone map. The statue in the middle is your character tendency. Mine is bright and white, so I just assume it's pure white.

The wiki says:

Killing invading or named Black Phantoms moves your character towards White, and killing harmless NPCs/vendors or being a BP invader moves you towards Black.

I have killed over 15 human Black Phantoms (and fell off cliffs 3 times). So I should be bleachy white. :p
Old King Doran is not counted as an NPC. I killed him and nothing happened to my character tendency.
I think Yurt should be like a black tendency character, so it's ok to kill him too.

EDIT:
Ha ha, you forgot to pull out Soulbrandt...
I think you can make Northern Regalia from either Soulbrandt or Demonbrandt.

What is your character tendency? Are you playing NG or NG+?

NG+, but it was way over 400 in the first playthrough too. I wrote those numbers off from the weapon stats screen...

I just never used it (only on one chap in 1-4 :) ) as I have below 50% equip weight with Crescent Falcion Scimitar + Gloom Armor + HP regen shield+Talisman of God. My character tendency is, I think, as pure as it gets even though I died in NG+.

BTW, got 618 (strong one handed hit) while hitting the enemies in 2-1. As I do not see that any stat is affecting it, I assume that your soul tendency is not as white as ours ;) .

Did you kill any invading black phantoms (I saw that a invading BP kill can make your char glow even whiter), demons etc.?

The whole WT and CT is driving me mad it is too unclear, I have missed many things because I gave up trying to understand it by myself and feared of reading too much because of spoilers. But now I will read everything I can...

BTW, never found that Makoto nor Dragon Bone Smasher too, at least
BP Satsuki
dropped the 4th useless (with my playstyle that is) Hiltless after fighting him for the 5th time (and literary sweating while fighting him) on Halloween... :)

BTW 2, patsu I glanced the whole time until I finished DS if you will maybe play it at the same time (so we can team up/trade whatever), but it was always offline or life with playstation (don't remember) :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently being chased by a lot of people thanks to Demon's Souls. Also missed my kid's school functions. :devilish: I feel sleepy too !

I play offline these few days to try to clear out some WT events. I am sure I will die a lot when facing that Blue Dragon in 1-3 (1-4 ?).

I will stablize my life again once I have the False King's head. He's like a big customer account or a major SVN check-in now. I need to complete it. :no:

Makoto is in 4-2 (where Patches was first found). You need Pure White world tendency to grab it from the cave below (on the ground). If the WT is not Pure White, the sword will remain unreachable on top of the "spike".

DBS is in the 2-4 boss fight. You need Pure White WT also. Take a left immediately when you enter the Dragon God arena. If the WT's not Pure White, the DBS sword will be blocked by obstacles.

I'd suggest after killing the big bosses and may be some invading BPs, check the archstone map. I got Pure White WT that way.

If not Demonbrandt, what do you use in a narrow corridor ?

EDIT: If I'm in "Life with Playstation", that means I'm working. :)

Yemeth I like your style - props and a shout out to the non-guide players! :) Sounds like you had a similar run of 'non' finds as I did, even though I daresay you may have found more of them than me... who knows. I ended the game with a ton of unused demon souls as well though. That is, as always, the golden rule of playing without referencing external materials: when you have something at all resembling cool, save it until near the end of the game when you'll be able to make your best informed decision!

Patsu, Yemeth,

I haven't encountered a single human BP yet, let alone killed one. I have been playing quite a bit of the game offline though to try and get all the black and white world tendency events to occur. I've got most of them...

As for WT events... its easier to get the world to pure white by killing bosses then shift it back to black than the other way around. The key to not screwing up white tendency is to immediately go back to the nexus and kill yourself when you get your body back

Select > Write Message > Other > Now I've done it :)

Quick question - how I do I play offline? I can't find the menu option... do I need to fully sign out of PSN?

Yes.
Online is pretty great in this game though. I love reading/writing messages, seeing other ghosts fighting around you and blue phantoms who are very helpful.

If black phantoms are your concern, I think you can log out of PSN when someone arrives (haven't tried that though) and reload the game. The game has excellent checkpointing even though it hides it very well.

I did scripted NAT server instead (pvp session ends, PSN stays) when I carry too many souls (sorry invaders, I have no interest of loosing 200K souls of mine because I'm on NG+ 1-1 )

Back