PS2 -> PS3 "It is not just a game console." Ken K.

FYI, this isn't the first time a manufacturer has tried to shove limited codec support down our throats. You remember back in the day when Sony ruled the music player market. Then they brilliantly decided to not support mp3, instead supplying software that would convert them the atrac format which is all their music players supported back then. How well did that work for them?
It failed, and they've now abandoned it. They've also embraced many formats in hardware and software. PS3 (as the other machines) and the media hub concept is still a WIP, but we can see the improvements and where their headed. Again, this isn't a 'PS3 is tha' greatest media hub evar!!!!' argument, nor a 'consoles are the death knell of media PCs' argument, but a 'consoles doing more than just playing games is kinda cool and useful' argument. Or do you disagree with that and wish XB360 and PS3 could do nothing more than play games?

Most people sitll don't have HDTV.When wii people will one day plug their console in a hdtv,some chasm will open wide.
Then , probably people will stop counting wii in the same market segment than the other consoles.

Most people don't have HDTV but most people have seen the PS3 and 360 displayed on a HDTV, whether from a friend or an instore demo.

Most people that don't own the PS3 or 360 or personally know someone who owns a non HDTV PS3/360 have probably never seen the PS3 or 360 on a non HDTV display.

Its hard to believe that the percentage of people who has only been exposed to the HD PS3/360 is anything but small.

In my experience, there is no foolproof media playback solution for all media types today.

Fundamentally I'd say you are wrong, due to the simple fact that any media ultimately gets created and/or edited on a pc, and hence must be playable on said pc. Ergo, pc's can play every single known format because of this. Now I realize that drm will probably rule some out, but the pc is still king of the playback devices.

I'll say this much, my pc plays every single one of my videos, and believe me I have videos in tons of different formats. It was cake to set it all up, but maybe I got lucky, who knows.

The kids set all that up for them! I know I was the one that always took care of any a/v needs for my parents :) In any case, do you think non savvy parents will be able to setup a ps3 on their own and have it actually play their movies? What do they do when they try to play a >4gb movie file from their hdv video camera? ...
is that 4GB Limit for ALL Formats - even .mp4 ? Pretty ridiculous then.

On PC as Media Hub - considering PC aint synonym to "Windows" here
I agree that Windows is the easiest by far for playing back random media - you can playback nearly anything with ffdshow & MPC. I was shocked to see media playback in Linux though, GStreamer & VLC refused to play any of my Movies containing subtitles (fixed now, wrote vlc patch myself), all Frontend for Mplayer are a horrible mess (atleast those blending in with GNOME), AVC in GStreamer horribly stutters (while consuming little CPU at the same time). Gahhh, I gave up bothering long ago.

It failed, and they've now abandoned it. They've also embraced many formats in hardware and software. PS3 (as the other machines) and the media hub concept is still a WIP, but we can see the improvements and where their headed. Again, this isn't a 'PS3 is tha' greatest media hub evar!!!!' argument, nor a 'consoles are the death knell of media PCs' argument, but a 'consoles doing more than just playing games is kinda cool and useful' argument. Or do you disagree with that and wish XB360 and PS3 could do nothing more than play games?

Heck no, I want consoles to become media hubs as well! My posts stem more from frustration than anything else. I've looked into so many of these so called stand alone media boxes and they've all failed in one way or another.

Whats extremely frustrating though is that I think, for the first time ever, there is finally a machine that got it all right on the hardware side, namely the PS3. It's loaded with everything it needs, as a media player, to easily last ~10 years or even more. Built in wifi, gigabit ethernet, quiet operation, oodles of cpu power, bluetooth remote that works even under the covers (very important if you're watching videos with your sweetie), standard hdd, bluray, etc. For a media machine Sony totally nailed it, it's effectively hardware complete as a stand alone a/v box, more so than anything else out there.

So why the frustration? Because I keep seeing good old Sony limiting what it can do. They've already done this with the PSP. I've got one and I love it, but lets face it, that thing should be able to play every SD format out there. Of course it doesn't, and instead you have to jump through 10 rings of fire to get stuff playing on it. I see the same thing happening with the PS3. They have everything they need to become the ultimate media hub, but they won't. I fear there is still too much pigheadedness in the upper ranks to ever let this happen. Hence, I don't expect it to ever be anything more than a limited media player that only plays sony approved media. Which is a damn shame, but so it goes.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Fundamentally I'd say you are wrong, due to the simple fact that any media ultimately gets created and/or edited on a pc, and hence must be playable on said pc. Ergo, pc's can play every single known format because of this. Now I realize that drm will probably rule some out, but the pc is still king of the playback devices.

No.

Movies can be captured via other devices too. Movies also get edited via different software that may not be fully compliant with the standards. Movies may also get converted by converters with bugs. Beyond the media domain, Windows itself can introduce nuances into the run-time. Once something goes wrong, it may be hard for an average users to know what exactly is going on. I suspect this is what happened to me.

I'll say this much, my pc plays every single one of my videos, and believe me I have videos in tons of different formats. It was cake to set it all up, but maybe I got lucky, who knows.

You're lucky. I have seen some movies that refuse to play or convert properly.

is that 4GB Limit for ALL Formats - even .mp4 ? Pretty ridiculous then.
If you have a camera that can record to BD-RE or you have a BD burner, you can put a >4GB mpeg2 file on it and play it on a PS3. Plain mp4 is limited to 4GB.

Also .m2ts in AVCHD (which is a MPEG4/AVC format for HDV camera) should work over 4GB for streaming.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&message.id=98284#M98284

So buying an HDV cam that supports AVCHD is the easiest way for non-savvy people I guess.

Well with ffd en vlc together you'll have a hard time finding a file from a decent source that wont play properly.

Ironically, this was what happened to me exactly. After installing WMP, ffdshow, AVISynth, and a hordes of media software and codecs on my XP over a few months, it stopped playing some movies -- even after I have unstalled and reinstalled them.

Heck no, I want consoles to become media hubs as well! My posts stem more from frustration than anything else. I've looked into so many of these so called stand alone media boxes and they've all failed in one way or another.

Whats extremely frustrating though is that I think, for the first time ever, there is finally a machine that got it all right on the hardware side, namely the PS3. It's loaded with everything it needs, as a media player, to easily last ~10 years or even more. Built in wifi, gigabit ethernet, quiet operation, oodles of cpu power, bluetooth remote that works even under the covers (very important if you're watching videos with your sweetie), standard hdd, bluray, etc. For a media machine Sony totally nailed it, it's effectively hardware complete as a stand alone a/v box, more so than anything else out there.

So why the frustration? Because I keep seeing good old Sony limiting what it can do. They've already done this with the PSP. I've got one and I love it, but lets face it, that thing should be able to play every SD format out there. Of course it doesn't, and instead you have to jump through 10 rings of fire to get stuff playing on it. I see the same thing happening with the PS3. They have everything they need to become the ultimate media hub, but they won't. I fear there is still too much pigheadedness in the upper ranks to ever let this happen. Hence, I don't expect it to ever be anything more than a limited media player that only plays sony approved media. Which is a damn shame, but so it goes.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah Sony can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

The way that video files have to given a certain name before the PSP will play them is crazy. I only found that out after I bought it!

PS3 seems a bit more flexible in that respect, but still some video files are not supported. It would also help if they support larger AVI files in the future.

The way that video files have to given a certain name before the PSP will play them is crazy. I only found that out after I bought it!

PS3 seems a bit more flexible in that respect, but still some video files are not supported. It would also help if they support larger AVI files in the future.

Argh, yes ! PSP has very fragmented media playback capability. Initially, they charged for the PSP Media Manager software too, leaving the users to fudge with special folder names, and unofficial converters.

Sony really needs to review PSP's media functions end-to-end (like Apple !). Limiting PSP's media functions is unlikely to promote UMD sale anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, yes ! PSP has very fragmented media playback capability. Initially, they charged for the PSP Media Manager software too, leaving the users to fudge with special folder names, and unofficial converters.

Sony really needs to review PSP's media functions end-to-end (like Apple !). Limiting PSP's media functions is unlikely to promote UMD sales anyway.

Yup UMD is pretty much dead as a film format (I never understood why retailers put so much faith in it in the first place! I could perhaps see films being sold for under £5). To be fair, hardware sales of the machine are very strong worldwide, but as mentioned before it could do so much more.

I think someone else also mentioned PSP getting cellphone coverage for remote play with PS3. Now that would be awesome. Over to you Sony.

Actually, that's not necessary anymore, just use the Video folder instead of the defunct MPROOT (or whatever it was called) folder.

Thanks Arwin, I'll try that out tomorrow (its gone midnight now).

Another thing that annoyed me the other day, was that I downloaded the HD trailer of Cloverfield from the PSN. I tried to copy it to the Pro Duo I used in my PSP (its 4GB so capacity wasnt an issue) and I got a file error message.

Anyone know why this might have happened? Thanks in advance.

Is your USB connector 1.x or 2.0 ? I encountered file errors quite frequently when transferring large (and many) files to a USB thumbdrive or memory stick on USB 1.x.

Back