PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info

Brimstone said:
My feeling is they'll include the hardrive to reduce load times along with all the other nice benifits of having a HDD standard. The Blu-Ray drive will probably be 1x speed.
it would have to be at least 1.5x to play blu-ray movies.

They have already announced downloadable content (older games at least) so HDD will be the only storage place for such data. Or 4 GB memory stick pro duos... :D

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/detail.asp?ReleaseID=4153&NewsAreaID=2

Press Releases

15/03/2006
Comment from David Reeves, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe on the announcement of PLAYSTATION 3 launch;

"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas. This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globallyâ€￾

wco81 said:
Basic version better at least include online play. No lame lobotomized setup like XBL Silver.

If they try to charge for online play, then screw them.:devilish:

not sure what much else besides online play could be included in a membership above a Basic?

I'm thinking that they see money on the table with online play and they will make some too. Maybe cheaper price than Live but why else have a "basic membership" if it was all free?

I'm sure when the date is closer, we will see a pricing structure for this.

one said:
"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas. This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globallyâ€￾

LOL I'll believe it when I see it ... this will be the first Australian launch that doesn't get screwed over if so. I don't think the X360 has launched here yet :cry:

And kudos to MS for pushing the "worldwide launch". Looks like they've set the trend. All the more reason why competition is a great thing.

Tap In said:
not sure what much else besides online play could be included in a membership above a Basic?

I'm thinking that they see money on the table with online play and they will make some too. Maybe cheaper price than Live but why else have a "basic membership" if it was all free?

I'm sure when the date is closer, we will see a pricing structure for this.
Isn't it said that the Nintendo Revolution WiFi service, also with Gamespy involved, is free for online play? The already do it for free with games on NDS.

one said:
Isn't it said that the Nintendo Revolution WiFi service, also with Gamespy involved, is free for online play? The already do it for free with games on NDS.

They'll be different networks though, no doubt. It seems its a SOE/Gamespy thing, and DS hardly utilises everything Gamespy alone could offer. We'll see what happens.

Also, that's it apparently, no games were shown or anything. Not too surprising given that the conference was only opened to the media in the last minutes.

one said:
we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas.
Australia, fuck yeah!

A worldwide launch that is actually WW? Maybe. Slightly less hyped now, so much promise has sprung forth from your posts one, thanks x 1 million.

one said:
I'm not saying that it's not possible but by reading the wording "Basic membership" will be free, I of course assume that there is a pay structure otherwise he would have said "Our Online service will be free".

Going one step further, I just can't imagine what a membership would include besides online play that would be worth paying for.

reading people's meanings and intentions from limited information is a hobby. :p

Tap In said:
I'm not saying that it's not possible but by reading the wording "Basic membership" will be free, I of course assume that there is a pay structure otherwise he would have said "Our Online service will be free".

Going one step further, I just can't imagine what a membership would include besides online play that would be worth paying for.

reading people's meanings and intentions from limited information is a hobby. :p

Well, MMORPGs will probably cost. Might be they are planning a micropayment marketplace thing as well for indie games/music/movies/add-ons which wouldn't be considered "free". Or maybe you have to upgrade to a premium service to access the Sony Connect media anywhere stuff.

So far, it sounds like the harddrive will be required to play games, but is a separate purchase. That's one way to make the price sound lower than it actually is, except for people who will only use it as a BR player.

Titanio said:
IGN has the article.

Ah! Found it.

So the only thing that's left for E3 is the price.

Nintendo could steal some hardware thunder in May then...

For the big guys it'll mostly be about the games. Interesting.

Brad Grenz said:
Well, will probably cost. Might be they are planning a micropayment marketplace thing as well for indie games/music/movies/add-ons which wouldn't be considered "free". Or maybe you have to upgrade to a premium service to access the Sony Connect media anywhere stuff.

ahh yes
Sony connect and MMORPGs makes sense

I thought of micropayments but it doesn't really have anything to do with a membership. I'm guessing that purchasing access will be included with the Basic membership , like Silver LIVE. They wouldn't want to charge people access just to to sell them stuff. or would they? :p

I really can't see the BR specs/security or whatever be the problem. I mean, wasn't final dev tools supposed to be out in december or something. Now they are comming out 6 months later, so all this must have had to do with the hardware it self, which leads to the question, how do they know that they will be abe to produce 1 million consoles a month whne they apparently not until now been able to produce a single one yet...

thatdude90210 said:
So far, it sounds like the harddrive will be required to play games, but is a separate purchase. That's one way to make the price sound lower than it actually is, except for people who will only use it as a BR player.

that could make sense.

it's an interesting strategy.

Platon said:
I really can't see the BR specs/security or whatever be the problem. I mean, wasn't final dev tools supposed to be out in december or something. Now they are comming out 6 months later, so all this must have had to do with the hardware it self, which leads to the question, how do they know that they will be abe to produce 1 million consoles a month whne they apparently not until now been able to produce a single one yet...

RSX is in the present iteration of the dev kits; all that the 'final' versions are missing - to our knowledge - are the Blu-ray drives and whatever Cell and RSX revisions Sony may have seen fit to make pre PS3 launch. But the fabs for the chips are online and churning is the word. Obviously for Cell they have been for quite some time now.

Back