Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Aegis in response:

Everything I've heard from reliable sources makes your series of guesses, particularly about total teraflops, impossible. Save for the DDR3 guess, which I'm worried might be true. Which would be incredibly stupid.

I think aegies doesn't really know that much when it comes to tech, some of his posts on the GAF thread seemed to showt he can't ascertain whether the AMD China rumours tie in with his own specs.
Eg:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46197475&postcount=556

Though he is talking about total teraflops, which is CPU+GPU flops, which might well put Durango above 2TF.

Any estimates on the FLOPS of the 8 1.6GHz Jaguar cores?

I can imagine what three blocks they're talking about, and at least two of them will help with graphics, although one is more general purpose. I have a special fondness for the third, since I spent many hours coming to terms with it's idiosyncracies.

I bet it's an AWE64. (8x8!)

That's a nice bike. Dunno about the puncture resistance though, are you sure that one is right? :)
Ohh, thanks for liking my bike mate, looks like it's almost ready. Well about the tires, they have two other models, one that's 1300 miles puncture resistance codename (Junior) and the other more higher end one is 2500 miles PR code name (Boss), I saw a pair on ebay the other day that has 2000 miles PR code name (Uncle) for sale so maybe I should go with ebay. What do you reckon:)? Uncle sounds good with a good price point too.
8 metres of suspension travel, huh? That'll soak up them bumps! However, I'd rather have shorter travel but more response from the suspension. 400 mm of travel with a complete motion in 250 ms is way better for handling potholes than than long, slow forks.

Ah another bike fan in the neighborhood, how nice of you to share your expertise and I couldn't agree more with your suggestion. But from the look of things I might have to switch company for that kind of suspension travel, who knows right?:)

Ohh, thanks for liking my bike mate, looks like it's almost ready. Well about the tires, they have two other models, one that's 1300 miles puncture resistance codename (Junior) and the other more higher end one is 2500 miles PR code name (Boss), I saw a pair on ebay the other day that has 2000 miles PR code name (Uncle) for sale so maybe I should go with ebay. What do you reckon:)? Uncle sounds good with a good price point too.

Ah another bike fan in the neighborhood, how nice of you to share your expertise and I couldn't agree more with your suggestion. But from the look of things I might have to switch company for that kind of suspension travel, who knows right?:)

I'm sad that I'm too dumb to work out what is being said here....

I can imagine what three blocks they're talking about, and at least two of them will help with graphics, although one is more general purpose. I have a special fondness for the third, since I spent many hours coming to terms with it's idiosyncracies.

Wasn't bkilian an audio engineer at MS?
If so, it's probably an audio DSP.

Of the two that help with graphics, if the one in the GPU is ESRAM what could the other be?

I think aegies doesn't really know that much when it comes to tech, some of his posts on the GAF thread seemed to showt he can't ascertain whether the AMD China rumours tie in with his own specs.
Eg:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46197475&postcount=556

Though he is talking about total teraflops, which is CPU+GPU flops, which might well put Durango above 2TF.

Any estimates on the FLOPS of the 8 1.6GHz Jaguar cores?

He quoted and replied to someone who specifically mentioned only the GPU FLOPS, not the combined amount for the system.

Aegies is going by what he has been told effectively "off the record", and he probably doesn't have exact numbers (i.e. an exact flop rating he can consult), all he's saying is from the specs been told about, it seemed possible... that's a pretty reasonable statement.

He quoted and replied to someone who specifically mentioned only the GPU FLOPS, not the combined amount for the system.

Aegies is going by what he has been told effectively "off the record", and he probably doesn't have exact numbers (i.e. an exact flop rating he can consult), all he's saying is from the specs been told about, it seemed possible... that's a pretty reasonable statement.

What exactly is he saying seemed possible? AMD guy's specs or Rangers specs with the 1+TF GPU?

Well Aegis is definitely right on the money when it comes to the gpu specs between too good to be true. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Jaguar cores 1.6Ghz = 1 CU 800mhz = 102.8Gflops
pretty much so more people can do the calculation by themselves as it is pretty simple and works with GPU.
number of core or CUs X SIMD width or number of stream processor/cuda core (4 for a jaguar core, 64 for CU) x 2 (FLOPS FMA) x clock speed.

For jaguar: 8x4x2x1.6= 102.4 GFLOPS
1 CU: 1x64x2x0.8=102.4 GFLOPS

pretty much so more people can do the calculation by themselves as it is pretty simple and works with GPU.
number of core or CUs X SIMD width or number of stream processor/cuda core (4 for a jaguar core, 64 for CU) x 2 (FLOPS FMA) x clock speed.

For jaguar: 8x4x2x1.6= 102.4 GFLOPS
1 CU: 1x64x2x0.8=102.4 GFLOPS

Thanks, isn't that a bit low then since Xenon apparently has 115 GFLOPS, is that wrong?
Or will x86 Jaguar cores with OoOE be that much more efficient than Xenon?

Obviously flops aren't a sole indicator, but why would they have a CPU in there that can do less floating points than their previous console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back