Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
but look at the female. her hand is nowhere to be found.

I though of that... But her shirt seems looser than the guy's, so perhaps it's interfering too much for it to detect the hand? (That is... assuming that the contour on the guys hand were done by some sort of tracking algorithm and it's not a shadow from the IR)

More than that, it seems it is able to see fingers even when your hand is in contact with your body... Considering how thin a finger can be that can say a lot about the precision of the new camera.

I though of that... But her shirt seems looser than the guy's, so perhaps it's interfering too much for it to detect the hand? (That is... assuming that the contour on the guys hand were done by some sort of tracking algorithm and it's not a shadow from the IR)
I'm pretty sure that's an edge detect on a depth delta. With the guy's hand in front of him, it's outlined to show a notable change between the fingers and the body. the same edge is around the legs and torso. On the woman, her hand is touching or close to her tummy presenting a minimal delta between depth values, so the edge isn't detected.

I don't know what the grid's about, but that finger-level resolution is what I'd expect from Kinect 2, and I'm pretty excited. If they can get the latency down, it'll be superb for computer vision. If only devs knew what to bloomin' well do it!

Note this is the next-gen prediction tech thread. Discussion of Durango/Orbis probably belongs in their rumours threads. (telling myself off too ;))

But if we discuss D and O in separate threads then what will we discuss here? :/
Those threads are discussing all the rumours, whereas this thread is only about the hardware. Unless someone is posting points about the console hardware driving Kinect 2, Kinect 2 discussion belongs in the overall system discussion rumours.

She could have her hand behind her back I.E. to show that the camera can handle that too?
You are right. She definitely has the hand behind her back. One can clearly tell from the color (which codes distance). His arm gets greener (closer to the camera) to the hand, her arm gets more into a cyan touch compared to the body meaning a larger distance. So clearly behind her back. I guess the image is supposed to show that one can indeed distinguish these two cases.

You are right. She definitely has the hand behind her back. One can clearly tell from the color (which codes distance). His arm gets greener (closer to the camera) to the hand, her arm gets more into a cyan touch compared to the body meaning a larger distance. So clearly behind her back.
Her arm is the same colour as the side of her body and leg; you can't tell whether it is behind or in front as it's just close enough to be indistinguishable. As I say, there's an edge detect showing deltas of a notable amount, enough that the chin isn't being highlighted. A hand against the body in front won't be outlined. Given that the pose appears to be the traditional coordination test of rubbing one's tummy while patting one's head, I even expect the hand to be in front. This is of course immaterial as the presence of the man's hand shows that the resolution is enough for finger detection. We aren't being given temporal resolution though, nor any indicator what hardware will drive this. As Kinect 2 is supposed to be incorporated in all XB3's, that may have an impact on the hardware if aiming for a particular price. That is, a lower spec'd CPU+GPU combo to offset the cost of Kinect 2, maybe.

It will be nice when we get some substantial rumors. As of right now almost all of them carry about the same weight and little has significant confirmation.

So, after six years and 558 pages I will sum up everything we know about any of the next gen consoles below.

_

I am going to try sneak into Microsoft Studios and catch glimpses of Durango in action. Hopefully my blue card allows me access.

So, after six years and 558 pages I will sum up everything we know about any of the next gen consoles below.
Well, we know esoteric hardware is pretty much off the cards. We know they'll be conventional boxes, and there are unlikely to be any major surprises. We also have some weight to the idea that neither box will offer cutting-edge performance.

Other than that, we shouldn't be surprised at a lack of progress. We can only speculate, and I'm sure no-one could have predicted any other console. Who'd have given XB2 a US eDRAM part back in a 2000 prediction, or that Sony would change from the straight-forward design of PS1 to the freaky hardware of PS2 to the mishmash hardware of PS3? Or that Nintendo would overclock their PS2 competitior to make a PS3 competitor?

The value of this thread probably only really becomes apparent when the console specs are released, and we can reflect on who guessed right and how.

What is the guestimate for Wii U main memory bandwidth? Will it go much beyond 128bit GDDR3 700? If it dosent there is a big problem brewing that increased memory amount might not help much on eye candy

Last edited by a moderator:

_

we know that this thread is the spawn point for "expert prediction of console noobs" to join the forum post crap for 20-30 posts then get banned :D:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back