Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/5giPQP2r

The second PS4 dev kits seem to have an AMD APU 3870k with a Radeon 6850 + discrete GPU Radeon 7900 and the RAM has been raised to 4 Gb.

I´ve also read at pastebin that Xbox 3 will arrive with a 6 core IBM CPU, 2 GPUs and 4 Gb of RAM. However, the first rumor seem more realistic than the Xbox one.

So the ps4 has 3 gps?? Or have I read that wrong and the 6850 is a misstype and is just the fusion gpu :/...either way if that is even remotely true we are looking at consoles in the region of 15-20x real world performance...taking into consideration efficiency and the ability for more advanced and modern graphical wizardry :)

Just had a look..that pastebin has already been discussed some pages back.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the ps4 has 3 gps?? Or have I read that wrong and the 6850 is a misstype and is just the fusion gpu :/...either way if that is even remotely true we are looking at consoles in the region of 15-20x real world performance...taking into consideration efficiency and the ability for more advanced and modern graphical wizardry :)

Just had a look..that pastebin has already been discussed some pages back.

The 6850 is the APU GPU.

A lot of rumors are flying around about next gen consoles. Most of the rumors have some truth to them, based on what I have seen, worked with, or heard. However I am extremely annoyed by all the bitching and moaning that is going around the Internet atm about how pathetic rumored spec's are. So much that I have to reveal SOME of the things that are really going on behind closed doors.
Spec numbers that IGN posted are from first/early dev kits that have been replaced in mid January. Now I repeat what I know is based on second dev kits that DO NOT represent the final product. Kits will mosT definitely change. Before I reveal SOME of the specs let me tell you that based on what we have heaRd in our studio from our publisher is that Sony was undecided if they should go for a high end machine and take On MS or go for 1.5 leap. According to rumors a couple of Sonys first party studios are asking for high end machine to make games that are going to have noticeable generation leap. While Hirai and other heads over in Japan think it's time to think about profitability. For now "fight" is some where in between, edging more towards higher end. RAM has been raised from 2GB to 4GB when most of bigger publishers and first party studios that have saying went mental.
CPU yes it is true Sony is moving away from the CELL. Will there be BC? Our publisher doesn't care and we haven't heard a word about it. Again since these are dev kits we can't know more than that 99% ceLL is done and dusted. Second dev kit uses APU design AMD A8-3870k redesigned to have HD 6850 on board. And yes SI rumors are true. APU is paired with the HD Radeon HD 7900. No HDD rumors are untrue since it has aLready been confirmed that just like PS3, every "Orbis" SKU will have large HDD since Sony is very eager to make Orbis the media hub. O and one more thing Orbis will support 4 layer BR discs from day 1.
Next dev kit is hitting after E3.

Emphasis by me... those "typos" spell "Troll lo". Dunno what to make of it.

I dissagree.... A dual 3rd Gen Flagship APU (4 core cpu + 7950 equvilent) with a custom interconnect would be ideal.... the multi chip solution would give a greater overall surface area which is easier to cool... because it is a fixed platform programming the issues associated with crossfire and SLI are a moot point.... regardless I believe Microsoft won't take any chances and they proved last Gen that their custom GPU solution was the better choice... I see a bright future for Gaming...
Is this really true?

Of course not. Devs would obviously have lower level access to the hardware but the physical limitations of multi-GPU rendering remain.

It might be false, but I doubt it is for the bad spelling.
It's not bad spelling. The spelling is perfect. The punctuation is very good, except for these rogue capital letters. How can a person either type those capitals in the wrong places accidentally when they can type all the other words perfectly, or how can they edit their punctuation mess to refine it this well and yet miss these rogue, very obvious misplaced capitals, to spell 'TROLL'?. If it was just random errors (improbable given a capital 'R' in the middle of 'heaRd' in the middle of a sentence being practically impossible to accidentally type, and all the acronyms being capitalised correctly and consistently - 'APU', 'GPU', 'RAM', 'HDD', 'IGN', 'CELL' - except for one 'ceLL'), the probabilties of these errors spelling a word related to trolling or forgery is vanishingly small.

This isn't a case of TheWretched picking a subselection of false capitals to spell one of many possibilities; this is a clear seeding of clues.

Shifty = poirot :)
TheWretched called it. I never even followed the link, until he said. At least this fraudster had the decency to label it as such and save a little misplaced discussion. ;) I guess their point is anyone can post something meaningful sounding on PasteBin.

edit: That should also be Poirot. :p

As I understand things, Nvidia has ex-Intel CPU engineers that joined them after Stexar folded.
Still they are a far stretch to have teams as experience as the one at AMD.
AMD cpus guys, no matter all the people leaving, are far from.sucking. The fact that they are fighting against Intel bends perception imho, all the companies would fail against such a beast of a company.
Microsoft providing OS support for ARM is helping Nvidia, and I can easily see Nvidia desiring a strong relationship with Microsoft going forward.
It's not only helping Nvidia but also more potent companies from Samsung to Qualcom.
Definitively it makes sense for nvidia to try to develop a special.relationship with MS.
Tegra is in the ms upcoming tablet but we heard nothing about a specific partnership between both companies.

Is AMD Fusion + Discreet GPU too far fetch for next generation consoles?
Anything's possible. Over the course of this thread, we've shifted our understanding of the probabilities based on news and rumours, so a Cell in PS4 is now low probability where once it seemed like a comfortable option, and Larrabee is off the cards as it never materialised. The introduction of APUs slides them into the options space, and if they lack the GPU grunt wanted by the console comapny, they could be paired up with a discrete GPU. Such a paired GPU could be anything from low end support to a high end powerhouse where the APU offers support of game GPGPU. There's no obvious reason to rule out the option that I can see.

There is some rumours of amd jaguar cores being fitted with avx 256 bit simd engines with 32kb. L1 2MB L2 (per core? More likely per 4 cores cluster).....

Now if we consider 6-8 of those jaguar cores @2-2.5ghz (xbox720) ...and pair it up with 8mb L2 and a load of edram shared between cpu. And gpu....that should be very very usefull in a console would it not?

How would that compete to a dual module steamroller incarnation at 3.5ghz? (Ps4?)

There is some rumours of amd jaguar cores being fitted with avx 256 bit simd engines with 32kb. L1 2MB L2 (per core? More likely per 4 cores cluster).....

Now if we consider 6-8 of those jaguar cores @2-2.5ghz (xbox720) ...and pair it up with 8mb L2 and a load of edram shared between cpu. And gpu....that should be very very usefull in a console would it not?

How would that compete to a dual module steamroller incarnation at 3.5ghz? (Ps4?)

There is a memeber in GAF that claimed Sony switched to Jaguar cores for the APU in PS4. But he said he was no insider, but has a room mate that works at Ati. lherre told in the spanish forum where he is more active that the Xbox 3 dev kits have an 8 low speed core CPU (low end cores) with 8 Gb of RAM, and a DX10 GPU with some DX11 features. According to him, EA said BF3 already runs at mid settings at 30 fps with DX11 effects.

This might indicate bgassassin was accurate when he told a GAF member we does not think Durango is a beast compared to anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's hope it comes with a hd 8870 level gpu...a few notches down from the most powerfull card of 2013...but thoroughly modern and more than powerfull enough for a console.

Not sure that 8gb ram is needed when it will likely have poor bandwidth? Would rather have 4gb super fast gddr 5..

Well let's hope it comes with a hd 8870 level gpu...a few notches down from the most powerfull card of 2013...but thoroughly modern and more than powerfull enough for a console.

Not sure that 8gb ram is needed when it will likely have poor bandwidth? Would rather have 4gb super fast gddr 5..

Yep, but 4 Gb od super fast GDDR5 might be much more expensive than 8 Gb of DRR3. Mind MS will be the RAM for the services they plan to have like the TV services and the apps,

I think a good solution could be the pastebin rumor is true and the PS4 comes with an APU+discrete GPU and with 4 Gb of GDDR5.

I think a good solution could be the pastebin rumor is true...
What's your reason to ahving any faith in that pastebin rumour? It's clearly marked as fake. Unless that's a cunning double bluff where it's real info mislabelled as fake, but why would the paster do that? It won't save them from an NDA breach lawsuit.

What's your reason to ahving any faith in that pastebin rumour? It's clearly marked as fake. Unless that's a cunning double bluff where it's real info mislabelled as fake, but why would the paster do that? It won't save them from an NDA breach lawsuit.

No no, I don´t expect the pastebin rumor to be any true. If people here say it´s false I believe them. I just say it would be a good solution to have an APU + discrete GPU.

Okay. I guess an APU+GPU combo would see the APU as a heavy-lifting processor via GPGPU. If the APU is running graphics in parallel with the GPU, I don't see the advantage versus a monolithic GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back