Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its worth keeping in my that, as BRiT state in another thread (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1635186&postcount=22) the Nintendo Wii U will have to pack more capable hardware in the console, even if the only want to equal the Xbox360 and PS3, because the first Wii U games will be largely unoptimised and developed on an system Nintendo's first and third party game developers are unfamiliar with, compared to late in the general games from Nintendo's competitors whose developers have learned the intricacies of extracting the maximum performance from the Xbox360 and PS3 over a number of years.

I am pretty sure Nintendo wil suprise you and come up with an architucture a lot less powerful than what you are describing but a lot more efficient and especially a lot cheaper to produce. since GC Nintendo become genius in inctroducing day 1 efficient profit making hardware. people were comparing GC performance wth that of xbox1, but xbox1 was more expansive and loss making for microsoft, the GC was less expansive and day1 profit making....

I predict WiiU would have the same power of ps360 but be a lot cheaper to produce than the ps3 slim or the new slim 360; and that is genius in hardware design ! we will see how nintendo will do it.

I think this is the priority for Nintendo : produce a same level of performance ps360 hardware but the cheapest possible way.

if anyone in this forum could bare this challenge better than nintendo engineers, let him show us !
Could you define what you mean by efficiency?
Does any time a product meets a success it has to be because of "genius" hardware design?
What with the 3ds?

Cheerful thought: some of the WiiU rumours talk about the system having 768MB or 1.5GB of ram.

Three DDR3 1600 mHz chips on a 96-bit bus perhaps? :eek:

The eDRAM logic does cost a bit more than standard CMOS logic processes too, but... I have no reference to specifics. It's just a more complicated process.

That's a point, I was assuming that IBM could "do" edram on the 45nm SOI process because they put so much of the stuff on their Power7 CPUs. Are they just building the whole chip on a more expensive process? That would kind of torpedo my cost-driven CPU+GPU+EDRAM SoC dreams... :(

Imagine if wii U is powerful enough, their Mario, Zelda, Pokemon games would look like something out of Pixar. Nintendo definitely have the cash for a monster system, it's a pity they don't prefer to push the tech envelope like Sony and MS do.

If Nintendo pushed the tech envelope like Sony and MS have done (so far) they'd probably be rummaging through bins for their dinner like Sega are.

I dont believe any of this anonymous leaks and I will give you an example.

They first said the GPU, because GPU is a questionmark and they can feed with that, till E3.

Secondly they speak about CPU power, and we all know, as IBM referred as well, that wii U will use a much newer cpu equal of power7 quad core. http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/photo/34681.wss

We all know that this power7's (2.4-3.3 ghz) have 4 cores and 16 threads. The funny part is, the latest leaks about PS4 - orbis are, that is using an AMD A8-3850 cpu and a 7650 gpu. The cpu that orbis rumors speak about, is much much weaker than the power 7 cpu, it is a non recommended cpu for pc gaming in many games!..

That shows the next gen consoles, will be about the same horse power, even wii U will be equal or better in some aspects. Because both xbox720 and sony will use AMD cpu's..

Sony and microsoft speak about dual gpus too, maybe they refer to the cpu that is combined with gpu as well, but surely is not going to be used in the games, but in the screen controllers instead.

We all know that this power7's (2.4-3.3 ghz) have 4 cores and 16 threads. The funny part is, the latest leaks about PS4 - orbis are, that is using an AMD A8-3850 cpu and a 7650 gpu. The cpu that orbis rumors speak about, is much much weaker than the power 7 cpu, it is a non recommended cpu for pc gaming in many games!.

:?: Since when? The 3850 is a fine CPU for PC gaming with more than enough power to handle any games available today (when coupled with a discrete GPU). Per core IPC is roughly on par with Phenom2 / Penryn and is quite a bit higher than Bulldozer.

I'm not convinced a quad Power 7 would be better for gaming at the same clock speed but it would certainly use a lot more power.

If the ps4/amd rumor is true, given the timeframe is very possible that the cpu will be based on kaveri and the gpu a sea island derivate, so leveraging the hsa unified memory.
Plus the ps4/kaveri can be produced by tsmc on a sony contract.

And about the supposet choose of A8-3850, if i'm not wrong, is the fastest llano desktop stock cpu so maybe is only a fall back waiting for a faster trinity and then the real cpu at 3GHz+ based on kaveri.

The truce between intel and amd permits to sell a design with an x86 cpu?

Yes Kaveri or Trinity as a minimum seems obvious. Llano would only be used now as it's the closest thing available to simulate those APU's.

I's be interested to understand how they plan to achieve more performance out of the the Piledriver based cores compared to the Husky cores in Llano. I assume they can only use 2 modules in an APU and Piledrivers IPC doesn't sound like it'll be much higher than Bulldozer. I expect the performance increases in that case will likely come from much higher clock speed.

The 3850 gets crushed by quad core sandy bridge CPUs and does not look crash hot against even the duel core i3s.

Power7 is a bit faster than Sandy Bridge, would make a far better choice.

Frankly, if the PS4 has only a 3850 and a 7650, It will be crushed by even todays modern mid/low gaming PCs!

Why would the next xbox and the PS4 use the same GPU??? A GPU that has a very slow tessellator? Why would they not use a GCN based GPU?

Lets also not forget that Turks XT is on 40nm and not the newer 28nm, why would you use such a damn old off the shelf part?

Even if it was based on GCN but still had about the same speed as Turks XT, it would be dead meat in a 2013-2014 market, hell it runs the real risk that in just a few years we will have integrated GPUs that could give it a run for it's money!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 4 module APUs planned with Steamroller. Since the A8-3850 is the fastest APU available it's probably a mistake to assume too much about the final core count.

Kaveri is expected to be 21% faster than bulldozer, but is based on amd slide

An intel cpu is out of question due to intel...
If developers were able to use the cell, will extract every bit of performance from fusion
And for amd putting an entire platform as a developer target is a big score, for sure they are making it cheaper for sony

kutaragi take this you mad man :O

Kaveri is expected to be 21% faster than bulldozer, but is based on amd slide
21%-32% faster than Bulldozer core-per-core (presumably at the same wattage), and that's specifically core improvements allowing higher IPC and frequency rather than process changes.

If the ps4/amd rumor is true, given the timeframe is very possible that the cpu will be based on kaveri and the gpu a sea island derivate, so leveraging the hsa unified memory.
Plus the ps4/kaveri can be produced by tsmc on a sony contract.

And about the supposet choose of A8-3850, if i'm not wrong, is the fastest llano desktop stock cpu so maybe is only a fall back waiting for a faster trinity and then the real cpu at 3GHz+ based on kaveri.

The truce between intel and amd permits to sell a design with an x86 cpu?

Yes Kaveri or Trinity as a minimum seems obvious. Llano would only be used now as it's the closest thing available to simulate those APU's.

I's be interested to understand how they plan to achieve more performance out of the the Piledriver based cores compared to the Husky cores in Llano. I assume they can only use 2 modules in an APU and Piledrivers IPC doesn't sound like it'll be much higher than Bulldozer. I expect the performance increases in that case will likely come from much higher clock speed.

There are 4 module APUs planned with Steamroller. Since the A8-3850 is the fastest APU available it's probably a mistake to assume too much about the final core count.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36773187&postcount=674

it's good to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

I dont believe any of this anonymous leaks and I will give you an example.

They first said the GPU, because GPU is a questionmark and they can feed with that, till E3.

Secondly they speak about CPU power, and we all know, as IBM referred as well, that wii U will use a much newer cpu equal of power7 quad core. http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/photo/34681.wss

We all know that this power7's (2.4-3.3 ghz) have 4 cores and 16 threads. The funny part is, the latest leaks about PS4 - orbis are, that is using an AMD A8-3850 cpu and a 7650 gpu. The cpu that orbis rumors speak about, is much much weaker than the power 7 cpu, it is a non recommended cpu for pc gaming in many games!..

That shows the next gen consoles, will be about the same horse power, even wii U will be equal or better in some aspects. Because both xbox720 and sony will use AMD cpu's..

Sony and microsoft speak about dual gpus too, maybe they refer to the cpu that is combined with gpu as well, but surely is not going to be used in the games, but in the screen controllers instead.

Looks like A8 does not perform good if game is not multithreaded well. On a console they surely will be. Even this thing would run circles around Xenon

If you are expecting Wii U to have Power7 or 16 threads you have been duped by IBM Watson PR spin. Wii U CPU will not impress anyone

(posted this on the other thread but with no response, so... :p)

Just found this in another forum searching for fresh rumors on google

surferibm05021512.jpg

Maybe the last rumor about 16 cores or 4x4threads was generated by this?
It's plausible? 80MB L3 edram is a lot 0_0 at this moment only ibm can do it, but really? 0_0
how big can be something like this at 32nm?
can this be only an unannounced server processor?
someone is able to decode the blue text on the bottom?

(posted this on the other thread but with no response, so... :p)

Maybe the last rumor about 16 cores or 4x4threads was generated by this?
It's plausible? 80MB L3 edram is a lot 0_0 at this moment only ibm can do it, but really? 0_0
how big can be something like this at 32nm?
can this be only an unannounced server processor?
someone is able to decode the blue text on the bottom?

It doesn't seem too far fetched.

10 MB of edram in the 360 originally were done in 90nm. Assuming perfect scaling, you could fit 8x that amount in the same space on 32nm, so with realistic scaling 80 MB should take a little more area than the original edram die.

If this is true, it would rule out an SOC for the next xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
16x from 90nm to 32nm? so much is possible?
but isn't ibm soi edram really different from the one in the daughter die?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back