Predict: Next gen console tech (10th generation edition) [2028+]

You've gotta be freaking kidding me. Who on earth keeps track of such numbers? This essentially makes it impossible to claim ANY source at all is not credible, meaning we'd have to take seriously every single rumor from anybody ever.
And how are we supposed to decide which one of the people saying "this person is reliable/unreliable?" to believe if neither is presenting evidence? you think it's better to have a technical discussion thread where everyone just posts "that person is a great/lousy source" over and over with no-one willing nor able to prove their point?

You don't have to take every rumour seriously. If you don't want to talk about a rumour, don't talk about it. But you can't stop other people talking about a rumour because you don't trust their source, and you can't tell people to stop believing in a rumour because they are wrong. So long as people post technical discussion and not just fan-drooling, it's okay to talk about ideas originating from nonsense sources.

Also, it's 'hearsay'.
Yes, it is. I had a typo. Sometimes I also type "it's" for the possessive pronoun like a complete chump. Guess I suck then.

And how are we supposed to decide which one of the people saying "this person is reliable/unreliable?" to believe if neither is presenting evidence? you think it's better to have a technical discussion thread where everyone just posts "that person is a great/lousy source" over and over with no-one willing nor able to prove their point?

You don't have to take every rumour seriously. If you don't want to talk about a rumour, don't talk about it. But you can't stop other people talking about a rumour because you don't trust their source, and you can't tell people to stop believing in a rumour because they are wrong. So long as people post technical discussion and not just fan-drooling, it's okay to talk about ideas originating from nonsense sources.

Yes, it is. I had a typo. Sometimes I also type "it's" for the possessive pronoun like a complete chump. Guess I suck then.
Sometimes you cant always prove any point fully. If it were always a matter of clearly established facts and absolutely nothing else, there'd be little to discuss. Though this doesn't means we should blindly accept any rumor that comes along, either. It's really quite easy to make up plausible-sounding rumors if you're half informed. But something being plausible sounding isn't the best measure of whether something is actually true or not, either.

The point of my post wasn't to completely discredit the rumor, just to point out that we shouldn't all just take it at face value(which is what people seemed to be doing here and elsewhere) cuz Kepler clearly gets lots of things wrong. Surely a place like this would know that by now and I shouldn't have to go sign up to Twitter and spend a month combing his entire Twitter feed to count every right/wrong thing he's said. That's beyond absurd.

And I spent one sentence of my post talking about Kepler's credibility, and then spent multiple paragraphs still engaging with the possibility of it being true anyways, so I have no idea how you're trying to act like I was attempting to stifle discussion.

PS6 needs a cheaper version, but it also needs a handheld version because every other platform has a handheld console.

2nd SOC should be a handheld SOC and it is cheaper than PS6. Performance is around PS5 level.

PS6 needs a cheaper version, but it also needs a handheld version because every other platform has a handheld console.

2nd SOC should be a handheld SOC and it is cheaper than PS6. Performance is around PS5 level.
In that case would Sony mandate PS6 games to be compatible with their handheld?

As much as I'd love that, a PS5-level portable isn't on the cards any time soon. Even on TSMC's A16 it would be in the realm of 46W.

So maybe something like a laptop/10" tablet form factor, or a half clockspeed mode. And thinking about it, the benefit of the latter is that it guarantees a 60fps mode when docked.

The trouble though, is bandwidth. You'd need 12Gbps LPDDR6 on an enormous 336 bit bus. Maybe LPDDR7 will be viable in a few years, but I can't even find any rumours about it.

Personally, I think Sony need a portable with a PS5/Pro architecture, but stripped down to match the CU/core/clockspeed of the PS4. Bandwidth is still an issue, but either 10.667Gbps LPDDR6 on a 192 bit bus or 6.4Gbps LPDDR5 on a 256 bit bus would do the trick.

That being said, both of those are still large buses for a portable.

Back