PowerVR Serie 5 is a DX9 chip?

Tagrineth said:
Dio said:
The TV series is 'less important' in that there's nothing much in the TV series that stands alone. But then again it does have 'It's this freaky colour scheme that gets me. Every time you press one of these little black controls that's labelled in black on a black background a little black light lights up black to let you know that you've done it. What is this, some kinda galactic hyperhearse?'

I'm pretty sure that quote was in the book The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Maybe.

that's correct.

Simon F said:
Danger?!!
I think I'm going to have to find my pair of peril sensitive sunglasses that came with the infocom HHGTTG game (along with a microscopic space fleet).

You got sunglasses with your game!
Thats SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!

I didn't. Come to think of it, I don't recall completing it either - Leather Goddesses of Phobos was much more entertaining ;)

Dio said:
LGOP was also a lot easier than HHTG....
Especially in lude mode.

Douglas Adam's other infocom game, "Bureaucracy" was also very very good.

Kristof said:
Err... who steered this off topic ?

I was under the impression that it's within your best interests that the topic strays in fact off topic.

PC-Engine said:
Considering how much clowning around is going on with you PowerVR guys, I'd predict that Series 5 will be late again. :devilish: :rolleyes: :LOL: :eek: :oops: o_O

Doesn't it depend on the specifications?

Ailuros said:
Kristof said:
Err... who steered this off topic ?

I was under the impression that it's within your best interests that the topic strays in fact off topic.

Naah, I love the guessing and the tea making facility was news to me as well :rolleyes: ;)

My guess, if there is going to be competition from PowerVR in the desktop space, it will have to appear this year.
What I hope for is rumors and indications (not even anything specific) some time in the first calendar quarter of this year, as I feel that such in that time period is necessary to remind people (like developers) that PowerVR exists in time for a successful launch of a DX 9 product this year.

Can I get any comments on this while you're around, Kristof...? :p

just found @ 3dcenter.de (thanks ActionNews) :

PVR-Extremist said:
Series 5 - Keep the faith ...

3DCenter's recent article 'Graphics Outlook 2003' stated that: 'Without a reliable partner, PowerVR Series 5 must be considered a theoretical exercise only'. We put this to Imagination Technologies and asked them to comment. The response was short but sweet:

Well, it's a lot of engineers to be working on something that's 'a theoretical exercise only', Perhaps I'm imagining them!

Nice one David. So boys and girls, keep the faith, Series 5 should be with us by the 2nd quarter of 2003. And if the current poll is anything to go by PowerVR still has loyal fans.

As it seems David Harold was not happy with the remarks in the 3DCenter article. But the reason for this could very well be, that he didn't read the complete sentence :

3DCenter said:
Second quarter: PowerVR Series 5

After the demise of Series 4 (aka Kyro III), PowerVR concentrated their efforts on Series 5, which has been in development since 2001 and is to be released sometime in spring. Unfortunately, technical specifications about this project are extremely scarce, it will be a tile based deferred renderer, that's the only known fact :). We can only speculate whether it will be a DirectX8 or DirectX9 part.

One might believe that PowerVR will only be able to stand a chance with the "DirectX9" label, if they want to compete in 2003's mass market. But from a usability perspective, DirectX9 isn't really necessary for quite some time yet. PowerVR has traditionally been content with fulfilling just the necessities. Update: It's going to be a DirectX9 part, but please don't ask us about our sources, mkay? ;-)

We can say at least one thing: if the chip's in time and performs sufficiently, it'll be most interesting to watch how Series 5 will fare against ATi's RV350 and nVidia's NV31. As was to be expected, PowerVR is again headed for the sub-200€ market.

But please keep in mind: After losing STMicro as co-developer of the chip, PowerVR can only develop the chip, but won't be able to work through the production details. So, if no willing-and-able partner shows up when Series 5 is finished, it will suffer the same fate as Series 4 and be scrapped without reaching the graphics card market. Without a reliable partner, PowerVR Series 5 must be considered a theoretical exercise only (=Without a reliable partner, PowerVR Series 5 is completely up in the air).

Link : http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/2003/01-05_a_english.php

Kristof,

I hope IMG already has an new, reliable partner, or IMHO even better IMG does it on their own. IMHO the 0,13µm-tech is the last change to develop an system independently for a small company like IMG, cause the development/production costs of the next gen technology will be unbearable.

or IMHO even better IMG does it on their own....

I have been hoping for that for the past 5 years. ;)

In any case, what does "released" sometime in the spring mean? Does this mean the actual chip? Does this mean just the core licensable technology?

As per usual with PowerVR...more questions than answers. ;)

Glad to hear it will be DX9 (assuming the source is correct.) It would be absolutely horrific if it was not. Even if the practicality of DX9 isn't much, not having DX9 would be a marketing nightmare, and the part would fail quite miserably. ATI, nVidia, and S3 (and maybe Trident and Sis) should all have DX9 parts sitting in similar price points by 2H '03, which is realsitically when I suspect Series5 products to appear...if ever. ;)

I guess it's TOO MUCH to expect Series 5 to compete with R350 and NV35.
so it will be another value part competing with RV350 and NV31. ah well, I hope it at least makes it to market.

Back