PowerVR Serie 5 is a DX9 chip?

Re: STG5000

RAnta said:
Just a speculation but since the KyroII was extremely fast in stencil operation is it safe to assume that Series5 will be faster in this area and will that mean that doom3 will fly since Doom3 uses stencil shadows extensively.

Not that i think the Doom3 engine will be succesfull.

Bear in mind that im a noob in this area and that english is my second language.

Why do you think the Doom3 engine will not be successful? Going on past trends a lot of developers have used id engines in a variety of games. Again going on past trends the id engines have proven to be highly effective in certain types of games (mainly corridor based fps). The high demands for Doom3 engine on hardware can be lessened by other developers as they modify the engine to suit their demographic.

Re: STG5000

RAnta said:
Just a speculation but since the KyroII was extremely fast in stencil operation is it safe to assume that Series5 will be faster in this area and will that mean that doom3 will fly since Doom3 uses stencil shadows extensively.

Not that i think the Doom3 engine will be succesfull.

Bear in mind that im a noob in this area and that english is my second language.

AFAICS PowerVR S5 will be as fast as previous series in this area, since it'll probably be done the exact same way.

Anyway you'll see only when the card gets released.

Just a speculation but since the KyroII was extremely fast in stencil operation is it safe to assume that Series5 will be faster in this area

Yes, but only due to more fillrate ect and not because it will accomplish stencil buffering in a more efficient way then Kyro III (because it won't).

Don't GIVE me that rolleye's face man or I'll tear your beard off :) :p

But seriously I'm only making an educated guess here. I just meant that I didn't see the actual method of stencil buffering in Series 5 changing much from Series 4 AFAICS. And so the stencil performance probably wouldn't be too much different clock for clock.

EDIT.. ah, it seems I mis-read the original question. I thought he said Kyro III rather then Kyro II.

If I'd realised that he meant Kyro II to Series 5 then I wouldn't have said that only fillrate ect will really improve stencil performance. Because there's probably been many refinements in this area since Kyro II

I've had a great idea to say 'probably' and 'AFAICS' with Simon and Kristof reading the boards ^^

king_iron_fist said:
hehe, its quite funny seeing Kristof involved in a PowerVR speculation thread, the things you can do with smilies is quite impressive :D.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

AFAICS PowerVR S5 will be as fast as previous series in this area, since it'll probably be done the exact same way.

Anyway you'll see only when the card gets released.

What if they update the demo and name it FableShaderMark? :p

Doom3

The reason why I doubt the Doom3 engine will be succesfull is because I´ve heard that it wont handle high poly-scenes that well... and that´s is the reason why enemies on screen will be so few in Doom3 in contrast to Doom2.

So I don´t think the engine will be able to handle open-door scenery well ....wich is an essential feature in fps.
If they don´t drop the shadows that is... but that is kinda the point with the doom3 engine.

All I´m saying is that the Doom3 engine won´t be as popular as the q3 engine.

And yes we will see how good it is when it gets released. I will most probably buy it as I was quite pleased with my trusty n´ rusty old Kyro

So I don´t think the engine will be able to handle open-door scenery well ....wich is an essential feature in fps.
If they don´t drop the shadows that is... but that is kinda the point with the doom3 engine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the DoomIII engine use portals to start with? Wouldn't they use then anti-portals for outdoor scenes? By the way isn't D3 more single-player oriented than anything?

All I´m saying is that the Doom3 engine won´t be as popular as the q3 engine.

Doesn't it rather depend on how good or flexible the D3 engine will be? Alone the fact that it includes portal brushes should mean that it has an advantage over the q3a engine. I figure that most if not all of the portal stuff is implemented "manually", to overcome any possible "overportalization" or other side-effects; all I'm saying is that Doom3 looks like having quite a few more advanced rudiments than the former engine. Wether other developing houses will make then extensive use of it or not, remains to be seen.

Kristof said:
Teasy said:
Yes, but only due to more fillrate ect and not because it will accomplish stencil buffering in a more efficient way then Kyro III (because it won't).
:rolleyes:
Is that a two-sided stencil rolleyes?
*mr checks his secret series5 feature list* :D

In memory of the late great Douglas Adams, series 5 will include extensive tea making capabilities. However due to problems in the human<->machine interface it will only be able to deliver something almost but, not entirely, unlike tea.

JohnH said:
In memory of the late great Douglas Adams, series 5 will include extensive tea making capabilities. However due to problems in the human<->machine interface it will only be able to deliver something almost but, not entirely, unlike tea.
But John, that's already implemented in our kitchen.

Simon F said:
JohnH said:
But John, that's already implemented in our kitchen.

So you recommend to drink coffee @ IMG? 8)

Just speculation

All I´m saying is I doubt that the D3 engine will be able to perform well in a map like "forest" in RTCW or the levels in Serius Sam simply becuase the shadows calculations will be well... insane.

I´m not debating how good the Game Doom3 is but how well the engine Doom3 will perform in large(high polys scenes) levels that is all.

Bear in mind that I´m a noob in the 3darea and it was quite som time since I read about the engine.

And the only reason why I´m bringing this up is because many gamers expect the D3 engine to replace the q3 engine as a measure stick for system performance but I however doubt it.

Ok Simon and JohnH, I guess it's tea time then (or something that resembles at least to tea). *tips spoon on cup waiting...* :D

Ranta,

The forest map in RtCW was already a crappy map to start with. I never understood what was so special in those trees that it broke in performance on most accelators at the time as much. That's rather a bad case example.

By the way D3 is anyway mostly indoors AFAIK hehehe...scratch that.

Care for some tea? :p

Hi there,
Kristof said:
LOL

when has ever been said so much in so few letters? :D

RAnta said:
All I´m saying is I doubt that the D3 engine will be able to perform well in a map like "forest" in RTCW or the levels in Serius Sam simply becuase the shadows calculations will be well... insane.

I´m not debating how good the Game Doom3 is but how well the engine Doom3 will perform in large(high polys scenes) levels that is all.
The DooM3 engine uses other lighting tech in "outside area" scenarios. Also, as Ailuros has suggested, there's quite a lot you can do using anti-portals . . .

ta,
-Sascha.rb

Didn´t know about differing lightning technique was employed in outside areas :/

Well I guess I will see how it works out.... in time.

Back