PowerVR Serie 5 is a DX9 chip?

JohnH said:
In memory of the late great Douglas Adams, series 5 will include extensive tea making capabilities. However due to problems in the human<->machine interface it will only be able to deliver something almost but, not entirely, unlike tea.

The hot chocolate capability proved to be too difficult :?

Heaven forbid they someone ever decides to make a Hitchhiker's Guide movie....considering how LOTR has been raped by the "reviewers" at B3D, it's pretty obvious that a screenplay adaptation of the Guide wouldn't stand a chance. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
Heaven forbid they someone ever decides to make a Hitchhiker's Guide movie....considering how LOTR has been raped by the "reviewers" at B3D, it's pretty obvious that a screenplay adaptation of the Guide wouldn't stand a chance. ;)

Hehehe, there WAS in fact a TV series. And it was mostly accurate, with a few odd hiccups.

It also ended at the Scrabble pieces out of the sack in prehistoric age, and they had enough tiles... to give a question which isn't even correct ("What is seven times nine?").

Oh well... I wish I could watch it :( I have the tapes but they're PAL so I can't watch them here, have to wait 'till my next trip to England.

Tagrineth said:
Joe DeFuria said:

Hehehe, there WAS in fact a TV series. And it was mostly accurate, with a few odd hiccups.

It also ended at the Scrabble pieces out of the sack in prehistoric age, and they had enough tiles... to give a question which isn't even correct ("What is seven times nine?").

Oh well... I wish I could watch it :( I have the tapes but they're PAL so I can't watch them here, have to wait 'till my next trip to England.

Define accurate with respect to the hitchhiker's guide. :LOL:

There was a radio series, the books, a TV series. All of them were significantly different, and the were all written by Douglas Adams, so it's difficult to define which is the most 'accurate.'

andypski said:
There was a radio series, the books, a TV series. All of them were significantly different, and the were all written by Douglas Adams, so it's difficult to define which is the most 'accurate.'

The radio series came first, so that would be the most accurate.
Then the books came out and finally the TV series. Although the books continued to be written up until when Douglas Adams died.

But if something as fundamental as towels weren't in the radio series, how can it be described as the most accurate? I think all of them are worth perusing.

From what I know Douglas was most happy with the computer game, the first LP (which has additional material over the radio series), and the books...

The TV series is 'less important' in that there's nothing much in the TV series that stands alone. But then again it does have 'It's this freaky colour scheme that gets me. Every time you press one of these little black controls that's labelled in black on a black background a little black light lights up black to let you know that you've done it. What is this, some kinda galactic hyperhearse?'

Dio said:
But if something as fundamental as towels weren't in the radio series, how can it be described as the most accurate? '
Struth! That would leave the Ravenous Bugblatter beast of Traal nigh on invincible!

In a separate discussion, John and I decided that Series 5 will be able to compute 42 but that it would at least take until series 6 to work out the question.... but of course when that happens DX and OGL will automatically change into versions that are even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Dio said:
But if something as fundamental as towels weren't in the radio series, how can it be described as the most accurate? I think all of them are worth perusing.

I'm pretty sure Towels and the Ravenous BugBlatter Beast of Traal is in the radio show. My Dad's got the whole thing on CD - I'll have to listen to it again. :)

UberLord said:
The radio series came first, so that would be the most accurate.
Then the books came out and finally the TV series. Although the books continued to be written up until when Douglas Adams died.

Of course things usually tend to get more 'accurate' as they are revised. ;)

The radio series and books certainly have more content than the tv stuff, however.

UberLord said:
I'm pretty sure Towels and the Ravenous BugBlatter Beast of Traal is in the radio show.
Not according to the excellent Neil Gaiman book 'Don't Panic' - unless my memory totally fails me.

Dio said:
The TV series is 'less important' in that there's nothing much in the TV series that stands alone. But then again it does have 'It's this freaky colour scheme that gets me. Every time you press one of these little black controls that's labelled in black on a black background a little black light lights up black to let you know that you've done it. What is this, some kinda galactic hyperhearse?'

I'm pretty sure that quote was in the book The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Maybe.

Also in the TV but not the book, was when they were talking about poetry, the Guide screen shows an excerpt of the Galaxy's worst poetry that made the guy's lower intestine shoot up and throttle him :)

Ah. Well. Of course, the 'computer graphics' are godlike. Think it may be the only time the BBC has shown a full-screen image of a pair of dingo's kidneys.

Should have remembered that. Mind like a sieve.

Only done using a rostrum camera, must have taken ages.

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
see if I don't! "

Nuff said.

Danger?!!
I think I'm going to have to find my pair of peril sensitive sunglasses that came with the infocom HHGTTG game (along with a microscopic space fleet).

Simon F said:
Danger?!!
I think I'm going to have to find my pair of peril sensitive sunglasses that came with the infocom HHGTTG game (along with a microscopic space fleet).

My peril sensitive sunglasses were just a piece of black card in the shape of a pair of sunglasses (or did you get some strange deluxe edition?;))

Naturally I assumed that this was just conservative engineering on the part of the designers. (There's always some peril about)

My dog ate my microscopic space fleet o_O

Back