PowerVR Serie 5 is a DX9 chip?

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ActionNews, Jan 9, 2003.

1. nggalai

Regular

Hi Mephisto,
    Well, yes--but we always clearly mark "speculation" as speculation. I was quite surprised about the update to the original article when I copy-edited the English version of 3DC's 2003 outlook (to be found here), but Leo is convinced of the validity of this piece of information, and determined not to disclose where it came from.

*shrug*

Such articles should always be taken at face-value, anyway.

ta,
    -Sascha.rb

2. Mephisto

Newcomer

What I say is just common sense. There is no reason why someone who realy knows about the series 5 specification (it's pretty obvious that there aren't many of them, especialy in germany!) is going to spread the word over a german special interrest site.

:)

3. nggalai

Regular

Hehe. True. But please don't forget that some of our Mods are game developers, while others have close ties to both IHV and software companies due to other reasons. Perhaps Leo's source is closer than one might think. ;)

ta,
    -Sascha.rb

P.S. and no, it wasn't me. I personally would like to see DX9 compliance with Series5, but I don't really believe in it just yet.rb

edit: typos galore . . . I need a drink.rb

4. Mephisto

Newcomer

No. I'm talking about an article in PC Action (that's a print mag) based on talks with a Powervr PR manager (could be Harold, don't remember). It's common sense that the mag did not invent the story.

Kristof pointed out several times that these STG5000 diagrams are OLD. -> 1+1+1 = 3. :)

5. Mephisto

Newcomer

If it is who I think you mean, then I seriously doubt it.

6. nggalai

Regular

Same here, hence the smiley.

The mod reference was only supposed to give an example of other possible sources outside PVR.

ta,
    -Sascha.rb

7. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

If you are in the design phase of a part now, then there's little point in designing anything lower than PS/VS3.0.

8. Teasy

Veteran

Tagrineth

He just said that the interview mentions that vertex shaders were brought forward from Series 4 to MBX, which suggests that Series 4 had a DX8.1 VS. He didn't say that pixel shaders were brought to MBX from Series 4.

At the time (when Kyro III was still allive) my info was that it was a straight DX7 part. But I suppose that info could have been slightly off and it could have been DX7 shaders and DX8 T&L. Unlikely given my source, but anythings possible I suppose.

9. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Then you clearly don't have a Belgian colleague who brings back a box or two when he visits his homeland. It hasn't done my waistline any good whatsoever.:)

10. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Neither David Harold nor any other ImgTec official ever claimed/mentioned or implied dx8 compliance for the STG5500. There was a serious misinterpretation back then (from which source I can't remember anymore), where Harold's name was used, but the very same source had to officially withdraw, because Harold never stated such.

***edit: someone correct me here, but isn't David Harold head of the PR department at Imagination Technologies?

a) the original 5000 diagram did not mention anything about compliance

b) the way I saw it the difference between 5000 to 5500, was more in the direction of a smaller manufacturing process and higher clock speed for the latter.

c) even if someone takes Metcalfe's statement under accound that the VPE on MBX originates from Series4, there's no clear sign in the specifications that suggest dx8 or higher compliance.

ARM has by the way updated with a 1MB sized pdf it's MBX page, where the MBX HR-S gets more extensively analyzed than before. There the VGP is nothing else but a Vertex Geometry Processor which can also be used as hardwired T&L unit. Show me the Pixel shaders in there and I'll rest my case.

11. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Your waistline can be grateful if you don't have a Swiss colleague there :D

12. PC-Engine

Banned

SEGA supports the Xbox, GCN, and PS2 arcade variants, however, I expect NAOMI 3 to be based on PowerVR continuing the DC/NAOMI/PowerVR legacy :twisted:

13. ActionNews

Newcomer

Hmm...you are right! I can't find any info that says VGP is DX8.1 compliant. But i could swear that i have read it in an offical anouncement! Don't know if i can find it again, but i'll keep on trying :)!

CU ActionNews

14. ActionNews

Newcomer

Sorry i can't find the exact source, but i found a hint in www.pvrgenerations.co.uk interview with Kristof Beets:

( http://www.pvrgenerations.co.uk/cgi...articles/2002/kristof1102&printer=0&pagenum=2 )

Perhaps i can find something more :)!
    BTW: Kristof i hope can tell us what's right?

CU ActionNews

15. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

The VGP is a VS1.1 compliant Vertex Shader, which applies to dx8.1. (By the way I should be aware what's included in that interview LOL).

So again where's the pixel shader?

16. ActionNews

Newcomer

As i said: I don't think Series 4 has/had a Pixel Shader. At least i don't have any hint or even evidence.

(BTW: Where did you find that snipet about VGP in the PowerVR Generations interview? Shame on me, but i can't find it :? )

CU ActionNews

17. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Just read that one; it's been added only recently and it's got detailed enough info about MBX and the VGP:

http://www.arm.com/techdocs/5ETJKM/$File/DTO0003B_MBX.pdf?OpenElement

18. ActionNews

Newcomer

AH! Thank you!

CU ActionNews

19. Teasy

Veteran

20. RAnta

Newcomer

STG5000

Just a speculation but since the KyroII was extremely fast in stencil operation is it safe to assume that Series5 will be faster in this area and will that mean that doom3 will fly since Doom3 uses stencil shadows extensively.

Not that i think the Doom3 engine will be succesfull.

Bear in mind that im a noob in this area and that english is my second language.