What other hardware/Technology is on the horizon?

what is wrong all with you?? basically most here hate Bitboys and can't stand that company like them is still alive as long as they are saying/presenting something. BUT when they say that they are leaving the market, ppl starts to speculate, if there still is licensing / designing / making new PC-products at BB. (am I missing something here? afaik, usually these things are vice versa.)

I stated many times that BB has pulled out from PC-market and I mean it. and NO, they haven't licensed their tech to anyone so far as far as I know.

and no, I am not going to put any smilies on this post.

And if you change over 3 settings on the drivers, you'd have to reactivate registration... :LOL:

--|BRiT|

Nappe1 said:
what is wrong all with you?? basically most here hate Bitboys and can't stand that company like them is still alive as long as they are saying/presenting something.

Nobody here hates BitBoys, its just easy to make fun of them. :) Big difference.

-dksuiko

MS at the moment is losing money on everything except its core business.

Reminds me of Intel for some reason a couple of years ago when they began pulling out of other sectors rapidly. I think they saw the recession coming :-?

AMD has decided to branch out from its core business recently. I hope they do not spread themselves too thin.

I do not see the CPU and GPU being integrated for at least another 5 years and in that time I am sure there will be reasons why it won't make sense to go that path (again).

I'd like to see a day when system RAM can provide enough bandwidth to feed the current processors :eek:

One thing that has surprised me is Intel's intended move to 800MHz FSB and AMD's move to 200MHz FSB. When the Athlon first came out I remember thinking there is no way they will get the Athlon on that FSB but overclockers seem to be doing more and more often without resorting to exotic cooling.

After they sort out the system RAM (GPU RAM bandwidth is plenty if you ask me - and shows little sign of stagnating right now) the next biggest bottleneck is the HDD 8)

Forgive the slightly OT post.

Pingu said:
Microsoft should bring out a chipset,
that would be the perfect card
(no driver issues) i hope

No... Microsuck shouldn't try to buy up any more markets by dumping inferior products until the competition goes under. No driver issues? I guess you must have missed out on the last 10 years of windows releases... :rolleyes:

misae said:
MS at the moment is losing money on everything except its core business.

I'm glad they're losing money, personally, but you need to realize it's all by design. Look at how much money they "lost" giving away Internet Explorer for free. Well, where's Netscape now? In 10 years I'm afraid we'll be buying nothing but Microsoft gaming consoles, using nothing but Microsoft software on nothing but Wintel computers. Nothing can stand in their way because they can just undersell their competitors and lose money on things until everyone else goes under. MS can afford to lose millions on the Xbox, meanwhile Nintendo and Sony actually have to turn a profit. Thanks to the highly ineffectual slap on the wrist they received in the US government's antitrust lawsuit and the lack of any higher principles than price on the part of consumers, there's nothing standing in their way to complete domination of any market they choose.

misae said:
Reminds me of Intel for some reason a couple of years ago when they began pulling out of other sectors rapidly. I think they saw the recession coming :-?

AMD has decided to branch out from its core business recently. I hope they do not spread themselves too thin.

The Intel situation is nothing alike, because unlike MS Intel doesn't give their products away for free/sell them at a loss. Also unlike MS they actually do have a competitor in AMD. If Intel followed the MS path they'd just dump their processors on the market for a loss and put AMD under. The reason they can't is because processors are their core business, so if they did that they wouldn't be making any money. Whereas MS's software monopoly makes enough money that they can just lose it on everything else. MS also has a lot more money than Intel, I believe.

When it comes to AMD, they are losing money on their core business, so it makes sense for them to diversify. I actually won't be surprised if AMD leaves the CPU business completely if the market for processors doesn't look up in the next year or so (if not by choice, they will go bankrupt). I'm not entirely convinced the CPU market will come back either, so you'd better buy your AMD processors while you still can.

I'm glad they're losing money, personally, but you need to realize it's all by design. Look at how much money they "lost" giving away Internet Explorer for free

And look how much money they lost giving the TCP/IP stack away. Poor old Trumpet Winsock got put out of business. Oh, and what about Solotaire and Minesweeper being given for free. Don't forget disk compression and networking software. Poor old Novell! I guess, you would prefer that when you buy a PC, you get an itemized list of software components and you pay for each one individually? Nothing built in as standard so developers and consumers can share a common platform? Did you actually pay $30 for Netscape Navigator like you were supposed to?

Fact is, HTML browsers are a commodity. Netscape picked a bad business to be in. If Microsoft didn't put them out of business, the Open Source community would have done it. Was it IIS that killed Netscape Enterprise Server, or Apache?

Bad, bad old monopoly. Giving away stuff to us for free. We as consumers are being robbed and ought to demand that they start price gouging like real monopolies!

I was a big fan of Netscape for years, but Netscape's browser implementation *sucked*. This became clear when the source was released and we saw how spaghetti coded Netscape 4.0's HTML rendering engine was. Microsoft's IE team rewrote IE3.0's rendering engine from the ground up for 4.0 adding incremental reflow, XML, dynamic CSS support, years before Mozilla came out. Microsoft made the HTML browser a GUI widget that could be reused by any developer in any application. Netscape's embedded version was horrible. As a result, even AOL had to drop it.

Today, HTML is a defacto file format on every operating system, and not having an HTML viewer as a built in operating system widget is insane. It's like leaving out a ASCII text widget.

3DFX has a new card that will be out soon.
Rampage Hyper Bitmap Karate Ninja Titanium, Insulated Leather Soles, Plutonium 628728994 Ultra Mega, Leave A Message After The Beep, Cosmos - The Olsen Twins Tits Served On A Platter 2003 Special Second Golden Shower Edition Pro

Start saving now kids.
it will have 512 VPUs not working together at different geographic locations.
1 GB of PC100 SDRAM and a built in heat seeking scud missle.

And oh yeah, don't forget about the amazing tech liscensed from SiS
EndurancePowerConsumptionProLevelAGP-non-standard-UltramagneticCord
it's looks like this:
molex.JPG

It makes the card go as fast as ten cars and two horses on steroids as well as an cripled old lady.

*bored*

And oh yeah: before you ask, YES it does support Displacemnet Mapping.
It's a defered direct renderer built inside the head of a dead goat wearing a VR-helmet.

Ante P said:
3DFX has a new card that will be out soon.
Rampage Hyper Bitmap Karate Ninja Titanium, Insulated Leather Soles, Plutonium 628728994 Ultra Mega, Leave A Message After The Beep, Cosmos - The Olsen Twins Tits Served On A Platter 2003 Special Second Golden Shower Edition Pro

Start saving now kids.
it will have 512 VPUs not working together at different geographic locations.
1 GB of PC100 SDRAM and a built in heat seeking scud missle.

And oh yeah, don't forget about the amazing tech liscensed from SiS
EndurancePowerConsumptionProLevelAGP-non-standard-UltramagneticCord
it's looks like this:
molex.JPG

It makes the card go as fast as ten cars and two horses on steroids as well as an cripled old lady.

*bored*

And oh yeah: before you ask, YES it does support Displacemnet Mapping.
It's a defered direct renderer built inside the head of a dead goat wearing a VR-helmet.

Yea but..can you buy one yet?

Nagorak, Democoder:

Microsoft are great.. I got a WinXP/OfficeXP black mouse pad from them for my office workstation... makes browsing Beyond3D's forums so much easier when I should be doing my job.

BT in the UK are a/were a telcom monopoly too in the UK and well the governing body for telco's [Oftel] tried to spank BT recently to open its local loops up to the competition and get them to run them - until they realised it wasn't feasible.

Hate Microsoft? Something should have been done back in 1995 (Win95) - like releasing a superior x86 Operating System with marketing to match.
Oh yea Apple tried that (minus x86).

Yea and MS are bullies... wimps and do-gooders dont last long as multi-billion dollar companies for some reason... MHO of course :)

its amazing just how many monetary, technological, and personell resources MS has and yet they STILL manage to turn out a SHIT os. you know the problem with monopolies? its not that they give out free stuff and make it standard, it's that there's no reason to really make their stuff better! for the longest time, MS wasn't in competetion with Linux, but Linux was in competition with MS. Look how far Linux has come compared to Windows... yeah yeah i know people are going to start spouting open source stuff but just look at the resources MS has!!!! We are still using basically a reicarnation of WinNT!!! If MS moved at the speed of the rest of the industry, image what our OS's would be capable of. Pentium II 350 to Pentium 4 3GHz+ and AMD Athlon 64s vs Windows95 to WindowsXP. personally, i think MS should scrap this heaping pile of buggs called windows (remember NT3.5? HAH! and to think XP is just a continuation of THAT crap) and adopt something that is undeniably faster, more powerful, and more stable- UNIX! It seems that they shouldnt have too much troubble getting UNIX to be nice and MS-user friendly, slap on some more things like NTFS and FAT32 support, and there you have it- a STABLE, FAST os from ms!!!

There is nothing wrong with the WinNT/XP kernel. In many ways the NT kernel was and is more advanced than the Linux. NT always had the ability to dynamically load modules, NT is a microkernel architecture, NT always supported asynchronous I/O, and NT had support for threading from the beginning. Some of these features were only recently added to Linux, and took several releases to get right.

You need alittle history lesson. Linux didn't suddenly appear overnight. The kernel followed a long evolution, and most of the core packages (e.g. user mode stuff) that come with it to make it usable evolved over an even longer period, like the Xserver and all the GNU tools. I was working with these tools back in 1987 way before Windows 95 came out, back when you could run BSDI on a 386 or Xenix on a 286. Linux borrowed heavily from the BSD world and from previously written GNU tools that have been around for almost 2 decades. But the MS haters have selective memory and ignore any buggy or security hole ridden releases in Linux distributions. I ran NT almost a full year without a single crash/blue screen. My XP system is so stable that I never have any problems unless I am using a beta display driver. And I guarantee you, if you link in a beta quality driver in the Linux kernel, you can crash it just as easily.

Until very recently, XWindows didn't even support antialiased fonts, and before the recent XRender and and Direct Rendering Interface, doing high quality and high performance 2D and 3D graphics in X was a real hack. Add on top atrocious GUI toolkits, ugly as sin, and hard for users to use, I just don't see Linux noobies as being qualified to talk about how MS operating systems "suck" Unix was there before Linux, it didn't happen overnight, lessons were learned over decades.

The only operating systems that didn't suck on initial releases IMHO were the NeXT, and Apple's OS X. OS X is everything you ever wanted in a Desktop Unix. Very very nice GUI, apps, and programming interface, but with the familar Emacs and Bourne shell one click away.

I'll insert two of my pet rants here, since the topics have been touched upon in this thread:

The problem with quantum computing is that, while it has been demonstrated that the computing power scales exponentially with the number of qubits, it has yet to be demonstrated that the difficulty of building the things does not scale exponentially with the number of qubits.

Just because Microsoft occasionally does things that benefit the customer doesn't mean that they don't, as a rule, disregard customer needs and sound software engineering principals in order to preserve and extend their market power.

Bad, bad old monopoly. Giving away stuff to us for free. We as consumers are being robbed and ought to demand that they start price gouging like real monopolies!

Hehehe, stagnant in products development and technology, is what consumer gets, from lack of competition.

I find Windows and upgrades, to be quite expensive already, can't imagine if they start price gouging.

Well, that's the essence of capitalism. I'm out to sell stuff to benefit myself, not you. However, in order to sell it to you, I need to take your needs into account. If someone else handles your needs better, I go out of business.

It is often said that open source is about scratching an itch. Open source programmers, by and large, program things that interest them, or program according to their own needs. Rarely will you see any open source project go out and interview end users, run usability experiments, etc. In fact, end users are told to RTFM and are considered IDIOTS if they can't use your elite hacker user interface. or worse, they are told to patch the source according to their needs. Frequently, any criticism of a Linux app begins with "well, if it is missing a feature or you find it hard to use, then you can patch it yourself or contribute docs". Try telling that to your grandma who just wants to check her email, not edit /etc/resolv.conf

Microsoft is bashed so much and people complain so much about their software, but in most of the important categories of software that people use everyday, they have the best product. Microsoft is only going to stay on top if they keep delivering a better product. In areas where they don't deliver the best product: desktop publishing, video, and imaging (Adobe dominates) or financial apps (Intuit), or Databases, Microsoft hasn't been able to crack the market to any large degree. Look at DirectX. Microsoft is moving so quickly, that if OpenGL doesn't get moving, they are history. Visual Studio.NET? There is no better Win32 IDE period. Not CodeWarrior, not C++ builder, not Delphi. They don't even come close.

Overall, IMHO, Microsoft has been good for the industry. Yes, they drove alot of commodity products out of the industry (Stac compression, fax software, TCP/IP stacks, media players, etc) but I consider these things to be low level components that should be provided by the OS, just as I have a printer driver. Why should MS, for example, be banned from providing a filesystem with built in compression? Just so end users have to pay $50 to a small company and go thru the hassle of installing and configuring something which shouldn't even be an enduser product?

Many of the same people who whine amount Microsoft including a DVD Player in XP (puts WinDVD/PowerDVD out of business) didn't say a word when Apple included a DVD player built into the operating system. Again, why should I have to BUY a media player for my computer that came with a DVDROM. Every component needed is a commodity. The look and feel of the UI is just a skin. There is really no need for a third party market in CD/DVD player applets.

My advice: if you are in an industry which can be commodified very quickly, don't bet your company's future on it. If Microsoft doesn't commodify you, the open source programmers will. (e.g. Apache)

DemoCoder said:
Overall, IMHO, Microsoft has been good for the industry. Yes, they drove alot of commodity products out of the industry (Stac compression, fax software, TCP/IP stacks, media players, etc) but I consider these things to be low level components that should be provided by the OS, just as I have a printer driver. Why should MS, for example, be banned from providing a filesystem with built in compression? Just so end users have to pay $50 to a small company and go thru the hassle of installing and configuring something which shouldn't even be an enduser product?
The way I remember the Stacker/DoubleSpace case back 8 or so years, what Microsoft did was to take the Stacker 3.1 binaries, change a few strings in them, package them in DOS 6.x as "DoubleSpace" and sell it as their own - without a licence from Stac. IP theft if there has ever been any. After they lost the resulting trial, they built another disk compression system, "DriveSpace", from the ground up, this time not stealing someone else's code, and there haven't been any trials around the issue since.

Bah! An OS that can't fork() is no real OS :p
Seriously though, I agree with DC on most points, the MS bashing is often going a little too far. If there's anything I would like to complain about is some of the "features" they implement which reduce my productivity, like "personalized menus". Fortunately, most of those can be disabled though.

However ...
DemoCoder said:
Look at DirectX. Microsoft is moving so quickly, that if OpenGL doesn't get moving, they are history. Visual Studio.NET? There is no better Win32 IDE period. Not CodeWarrior, not C++ builder, not Delphi. They don't even come close.

I'm not sure one can say MS is moving particularly quickly with DX, OpenGL today has most features of DX9 already.
The best IDE is very subjective. I use MSVC 6.0, and I'm quite happy with it. I have used the MSVC.NET, but never got comfortable with the IDE, so after consider that I don't really need anything from it and want my apps to remain compatible with MSVC 6.0 I switched back.
When it comes to productivity when writing normal windows applications, the Delphi IDE much better than any MSVC version. The pascal language isn't the best for an experienced programmer though IMO.

DemoCoder said:
The only operating systems that didn't suck on initial releases IMHO were the NeXT, and Apple's OS X. OS X is everything you ever wanted in a Desktop Unix. Very very nice GUI, apps, and programming interface, but with the familar Emacs and Bourne shell one click away.

I'd agree with most of what you have said, except for this aprt about OS X.
I have to support the damn thing, and i can tell you, 10.2 is good, but 10.x (where x<2) is a bug ridden pile of crap. Especially the server version.

All those who bash MS need to stop using win98 as the basis for their complaints. Sure, it wasnt the most stable (although with some tweaking you COULD get it stable, i used to go months between bluescreens) - but its 5 years old folks! NT4 (after service pack 3) was extraordinarily stable. Windows 2000 (server and workstation) are both stable and fast. Windows XP is stable, fast (when you turn off the crap eyecandy). As DC said, the only bluescreens i get are related to display drivers (however, not just beta ones - nVidias 40.72 WHQL dets give me bluescreens like mad).
I dont get all the complaining. Sure, liunux is free, fast, and stable (but requires MORE tweaking to get this way than win98 did...and it requires cosntant tweaking). So, i guess what i am saying is, dont knock the MS products if you are some HS student who has never used them in a real work environment...

Back