Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

The percentage of people who bought an Xbox game and will play it on PC is minuscule.
Also Play Anywhere is limited to MS games.
It shows intention to have XBox games on more than just the console.
There are even a lot of cross-buy games on PS4/Vita from other developers.
Irrelevant to that discussion of why believe MS will want XBN games to run on Scorpio.

That's what I'm talking about. Steam and Windows Store COD have different online pool.
You can not play with each other.

It doesnt seem like players are happy with that decision given the amount of critical articles and forum posts about it. Why would you think Activision would continue that practise? Especially considering how much COD has dropped in sales overall?

That's what I'm talking about. Steam and Windows Store COD have different online pool.
You can not play with each other.
14783737233389858is32.jpg
That's purely based on whether the developer wants to support it.
They could just ignore WStore next time.
Without knowing the details of what happened here, I wouldn't use this single title as an example for every single game going forward for the next 5 years.
It very well be because Sony owns the marketing rights to COD Infinite, edit: oops confusion on my behalf [strike]and they do not want the MS version to have cross play where the Sony version cannot.[/strike] Or Activision was lazy. Or it was never intended to be on the W10 Store and MS made special arrangements for it.

All we know is this. MS refunded anyone who bought it from the store and indicated that have open apis and policies to connect to all other partner platforms.

And we know that the W10 store version requires a windows account to play. This also happens to be the requirements for Xbox Play Anywhere. Maybe there was an intention for cross play but they cut it out last minute. Who knows.

We can cut this all sorts of ways, too little information on this one.

edit:
Games that did it wrong: (COD)
http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks

Games that are doing it right: (Steam + W10 + Xbox One)
https://www.playgwent.com/en

Last edited:
That makes absolutely no sense. Obviously the Windows Store version must have sold a decent amount of copies for there to be backlash, so why limit their sales when they can just add cross play?
It's just screenshot with 2 people in multiplayer (including image author) went viral.
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/09/how-fable-legends-took-down-lionhead
"98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”"
It had a week exclusivity in Windows Store. Not worth making UWP version.
Microsoft C++ extensions are weird, I do not think people would like to learn it.

They could just ignore WStore next time.
It's just screenshot with 2 people in multiplayer (including image author) went viral.
"98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”"
Microsoft C++ extensions are weird, I do not think people would like to learn it.
I'll feel inclined to give you a hat tip if you are right, but we've got to see a plan actually make it out of a gate, give it a decent attempt to make something work, and then die, before I agree it failed.

Still way too early. If every company gave up as fast as you did, they would cease to exist as a company.

You seem to base everything on past results. ROTR sold poorly on WS = every game in the future selling poorly, MS made Zune = no chance of ever making a successful product again

COD has always been a console seller first, it would make sense to add cross play between the WS version and Xbox. The fact that they didnt add it for Steam vs WS doesnt mean its set in stone, we dont know what reason they had, maybe they couldnt get the WS version ready for crossplay in time

I'll feel inclined to give you a hat tip if you are right, but we've got to see a plan actually make it out of a gate, give it a decent attempt to make something work, and then die, before I agree it failed.

Still way too early. If every company gave up as fast as you did, they would cease to exist as a company.
They'll learn from it and come out with a better implementation which is good for all of us. I'll say it again Microsoft is doing some great work on the back end with XBOX. The original vision for XB1 wasn't what many of us wanted but the response has been pretty good.

Regarding Sony I have no idea when they'll drop PS5, my thoughts though are they are doing extremely well this generation so there is little reason to rush. They have a 1080p box, a 4k box and VR available if your looking for something different. Additionally they have taken their time and have some wonderful first party titles getting ready to start making to release and a great tail with titles due later.

All said this generation has one real winner and that's us the consumer.

They'll learn from it and come out with a better implementation which is good for all of us. I'll say it again Microsoft is doing some great work on the back end with XBOX. The original vision for XB1 wasn't what many of us wanted but the response has been pretty good.

Regarding Sony I have no idea when they'll drop PS5, my thoughts though are they are doing extremely well this generation so there is little reason to rush. They have a 1080p box, a 4k box and VR available if your looking for something different. Additionally they have taken their time and have some wonderful first party titles getting ready to start making to release and a great tail with titles due later.

All said this generation has one real winner and that's us the consumer.
I have strong feelings that PS5 and XBN will come to fruition when the market has moved to 4K. That being said, I don't think 3 years seems long enough for that transition to happen. You want to give people a real reason to move from PS4 to PS5, and that reason has to be more than 4K resolution. Since 4K will be the baseline (in the future) and 4Pro already supports that.... you must have a real huge graphical leap at 4K as well.

So they have time to wait imo. wait for everyone to leave 1080p. 4Pro and Scorpio will hold the stop gap for many years to come. XBO and PS4 will probably be in service for 8-10 years I imagine, it wouldn't surprise me at least. It may take that long for people to move to 4K. It's not that we won't have better TV technology by then, but... what do you want people to do with their large screen TVs that are still good?

I'm not saying MS initiatives are futile. But their marketing methods are often purposely confusing and even dangerous.
Can you please stay on topic rather than just trashing MS in this 'what should everyone else' do thread? the current MS chatter was only in relation to identifying a likely difference between future PS and XB initiatives.

You mean a game that released in 2009 sold more copies on other platforms than a platform that released in 2015 ? No shit Sherlock.

With Tomb raider of course people opted to buy it on a platform they were using for 15 years vs a year old platform.

We have to see how purchasing evolves over the next few years to see how the windows store evolves. However cross play with xbox one seems to be keeping games like Gears of war 4 populated on the windows side. I never have trouble getting a game.

I've seen people say they don't need an x1 because all ms exclusives are on pc.
The same people then say they will never use the windows store.
Well something got to give.
Some exclusives may have gone to steam, but I don't see any reason to believe that MS exclusives will be going to steam, Or at least their halo's, gears, forza, etc

I've seen people say they don't need an x1 because all ms exclusives are on pc.
The same people then say they will never use the windows store.
Well something got to give.
Some exclusives may have gone to steam, but I don't see any reason to believe that MS exclusives will be going to steam, Or at least their halo's, gears, forza, etc
The statement is fairly accurate, in good time the whole xbox catalog will be on PC.
The part about never going to use the Windows Store is a pretty much faux outrage. It's certainly cheaper to use the windows store than to have to purchase a console for those games and run them at inferior quality.

The goal for both MS and Sony is to make profits off of licensing/distribution fees from software, it makes little to no difference to them what hardware you buy, except that hardware purchases lead to a larger potential profit base. Hardware is sold at likely 0 profit to a loss at this point in time (total customer value likely is much higher than any loss incurred by discounting their systems).

When you look at that context, PC is just another channel/vector for them to increase their marketshare, or at the very least minimize their losses to their competitors.
So when someone says, well all I need now is a PC and a PS4 (something to that effect) their hope is that because your PC is going to be more powerful than your console, their hope is that majority of your multi-platform purchases are on PC.

It doesn't matter if their store is not as effective as they want it to be, what matters is that they get people transitioned to W10 first, as no store exists for them to even sell their goods on for Windows 7. MS will continue to work on their Store as time goes on, it may actually be good enough to compete with Steam, but it won't be easy. Steam is not easily replicated (you would see way more entrants if not the case), and w10 store is much more expansive in the types of software it must sell on it.

Anyway, TLDR; PC gaming isn't ideal in terms of profitability for MS (they would obviously prefer you to own XB and buy games and subscription on it), but having less margins on software is better than no margins at all (which is what they are currently trying to hedge against)

Last edited:
I believe UWP games can be sold on Steam aswell, of course they would need to fix the problems first (real mod support etc) but in a worst case scenario, UWP games will become a fairly easy way for a publisher to develop games for 2 different platforms (PC and Xbox) reducing costs

But IMO the biggest urgent issue Microsoft needs to adress is their lack of AAA first party titles.

The statement is fairly accurate, in good time the whole xbox catalog will be on PC.
The part about never going to use the Windows Store is a pretty much faux outrage. It's certainly cheaper to use the windows store than to have to purchase a console for those games and run them at inferior quality.
Yea, faux or not, their either using store or getting an x1 for those games. Also if they want a uhd player then console may be the way to go.
MS makes other income on Xbox, Xbox gold probably quickly offsets the cost of the selling price of the console pretty quickly.

No denying they have to work on the store, but I don't think it's as dead in the water as some people think.
If the store is good, game they want is there, then I think people will end up using it.
I'll say it again though, the store does need work done to it, also the UWP.

Yea, faux or not, their either using store or getting an x1 for those games. Also if they want a uhd player then console may be the way to go.
MS makes other income on Xbox, Xbox gold probably quickly offsets the cost of the selling price of the console pretty quickly.

No denying they have to work on the store, but I don't think it's as dead in the water as some people think.
If the store is good, game they want is there, then I think people will end up using it.
I'll say it again though, the store does need work done to it, also the UWP.
World moves at a fast pace, I think everyone thinks that everything moves at Silicon Valley speeds, but that's just not true. This is the last windows version that MS is releasing, so from here on out, its just going to be improvements until they get it right.

I believe UWP games can be sold on Steam aswell, of course they would need to fix the problems first (real mod support etc) but in a worst case scenario, UWP games will become a fairly easy way for a publisher to develop games for 2 different platforms (PC and Xbox) reducing costs

But IMO the biggest urgent issue Microsoft needs to adress is their lack of AAA first party titles.

With PS4 in the equation, though, I think you are more likely to see a non-UWP PC build be a common root that other builds (including a UWP PC build) are adopted from.

Back