Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

keep comparing it directly to pc's, how much does a monster pc like that go for?
everything needs to be balanced for cost and performance, cost in the console space, even a high end one.
if it had that much memory, then you would need a very fast hdd or ssd, it all adds up.

and regardless of what people are saying, ms sees this as part of the xo family, not another generation. And that's if there will even be another generation as we know it.
more likely to be families, than generations with a single product (based on performance) in.

I still wonder if MS went to AMD and in the contract negotiated that they would have the most powerful custom soc for a console in 2017-2018 or something like that . That way MS knew they wouldn't have a problem with their marketing.
1) Is that really an option? To pay to limit what your rivals can buy?
2) They said, "As far as we know," which is based on the data we all have - Neo is 4TF, Scorpio is 6TF. As far as they know, Scorpio will be the most powerful console
3) Trying to avoid marketing problems would be a first for the current MS - they're more likely to say conflicting points across interviews and tweets and press releases. :p

1) Is that really an option? To pay to limit what your rivals can buy?
2) They said, "As far as we know," which is based on the data we all have - Neo is 4TF, Scorpio is 6TF. As far as they know, Scorpio will be the most powerful console
3) Trying to avoid marketing problems would be a first for the current MS - they're more likely to say conflicting points across interviews and tweets and press releases. :p

1) I'm sure not that exact wording. But I'm positive MS could pay for say exclusive use for Vega in a custom SOC for a certain time period. That would leave sony with Polaris. I'm sure they could also get into the nitty gritty about how many rops tmus and what not.

2) Yes but I'm sure after this generation MS will want the most powerful. Multi platform games are by far the most important content now and if MS plays the games with a signifigant advantage over sony 's console they will sell a lot more units.

3) People are also more likely to complain about ms . No one said boo about sony announcing the existence of neo in a magazine interview on the eve of e3 while also pushing a $400 headset and a $350 console this holiday that will be replaced either later this year with neo or early next year. I find that far more slimy than MS and mixed messaging on how xbox scorpio vr games would make their statements of everything being compatible with everything not being true.

2) Yes but I'm sure after this generation MS will want the most powerful.
Probably, but they also probably can't guarantee they'll have the most powerful because I don't think they can contorl what the opposition does. Hence the "we believe" phrase because they've gone for the most powerful option they had and imagine it's the most powerful option based on what they're hearing. It very likely is, without having to do some strange price-out-the-competition move simply because MS is looking to launch later at a higher price, probably.

3) People are also more likely to complain about ms . No one said boo about sony announcing the existence of neo in a magazine interview on the eve of e3 while also pushing a $400 headset and a $350 console this holiday that will be replaced either later this year with neo or early next year. I find that far more slimy than MS and mixed messaging on how xbox scorpio vr games would make their statements of everything being compatible with everything not being true.
That's nothing to do with my tongue-in-cheek remark, but there's nothing slimey about Sony's message. PS4 isn't being replaced. Neo isn't needed for PSVR - E3 testifies to that. So it's exactly business as normal. Want PSVR? Buy it this Christmas. Then you'll have an option to buy Neo next year. I suppose there is a degree of 'hush hush' not wanting to cannabilise PS4 sales from people who'd wait until Neo, but that isn't the market Sony are after. Neo is very likely to sell to PS4 upgraders. If you're in the market for a PS4 this Christmas, you're probably not in the market for a more expensive Neo. Likewise if you're buying PSVR + PS4 this holiday, chances are you are buying a cheap VR package and don't really want a more expensive console. The only people who'll be adversely affected by Sony's 'no comment' position on Neo are those who would buy a Neo if they knew it was coming but aren't presently aware it's coming, which kinda flies against the core gamer target audience who are likely clued in through the gaming media.

And the only reason we know about Neo is leaks. Companies like Apple announce a product the moment it's available, for the very same reason of not wanting to cannabalise current sales as people wait for new hardware. There's no law saying consumers need be informed a certain period before a new product arrives so that they don't end up buying a product just before it's EOL'd.

edit: If MS announced Scorpio, or whatever hardware, and then said it was available to buy that day in stores (or anyone else for that matter), it wouldn't be a slimey move. And if MS hadn't announced Scorpio at E3 and left it until a few months before its actual release, that wouldn't have been slimey either. Probably smarter than admitting Scorpio this early which they only did, again, because of leaks.

Last edited:
ClW6SarXEAAHDCu.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody said boo because Neo doesn't replace anything, Sony has been very clear on this point - you don't NEO for games or VR and everything on NEO will work on PS4.... Where are you coming up with this? You conclusion is actually counter to the little Sony has said on the subject.....

From Andew House:

To be very clear, the high-end PS4, code-named Neo, that we are working on is an addition to the existing line-up, not a replacement.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...2016-says-games-will-play-awful-lot-prettier/

Nobody said boo because Neo doesn't replace anything, Sony has been very clear on this point - you don't NEO for games or VR and everything on NEO will work on PS4.... Where are you coming up with this? You conclusion is actually counter to the little Sony has said on the subject.....

From Andew House:

To be very clear, the high-end PS4, code-named Neo, that we are working on is an addition to the existing line-up, not a replacement.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...2016-says-games-will-play-awful-lot-prettier/

And either does Scorpio. Xbox one family games will continue to work on it.

People who want PS VR will be better served by Neo . The experience on some of the vr games is quite poor.

And either does Scorpio. Xbox one family games will continue to work on it.

People who want PS VR will be better served by Neo . The experience on some of the vr games is quite poor.

NEO isn't a replacement so the media didn't treat MS unfairly as you said, that's the point. You accused the media of bias when none was present. To the contrary of what you've said Sony has said quite plainly that NEO is not a replacement.

People who want PS VR will be better served by Neo .
People who want VR will be better served by a quad-SLI 1080ti with dual xeon 10 core. For $10,000.

In general people will be better served by what they can afford, or are willing to spend to try home VR experiences. PS4 owners are buying PSVR because they get a very low price of entry for a surprisingly good experience, and a guarantee all games will work on PS4 for the rest of the generation, and that the generation will not be shorter. They also get a curated platform for VR games. Some devs are rightfully pissed off about testing and optimizing games twice, and not being allowed to ditch the PS4, but the gamers are happy about it, since they get the best of both worlds.

Can you explain why anyone should be angry at Sony about VR?
The experience on some of the vr games is quite poor.
From most reviews I watched or read of the last half dozen trade shows of the last two years, from gamers and journalists who tried a lot of games, the experience is said to be impressive.

The only complaints I've seen about PSVR coming out of E3 are that FFXV's VR mode is half baked and RE7's choice to not adapt any VR specific movement options make is likely to trigger motion sickness. Neither is a problem with the power in PS4. Batman Arkham VR was reportedly one of the most impressive experiences at the show.

The only complaints I've seen about PSVR coming out of E3 are that FFXV's VR mode is half baked and RE7's choice to not adapt any VR specific movement options make is likely to trigger motion sickness. Neither is a problem with the power in PS4. Batman Arkham VR was reportedly one of the most impressive experiences at the show.

that's because the media won't report it.... :runaway:

On a serious note, Scorpio is great news, having both MS and Sony offering relatively affordable VR capable solutions only lowers the bar for developers to take on VR projects bc its less risky. A lot of what is being reported suggest VR truly is step forward so we should all be excited about this.

Sony has been clear that neo isn't a new generation and ps4 will play every game.

MS has been clear it's not a new generation and xo and xo slim will play every game apart from superset of vr.

before when there was a new generation, didn't have to define why it was a new generation we just new. Now, when you actually think about it it's not actually easy to define.

do I think there will be Scorpio only games in a few years, regardless of what ms has said, yes i do, but that's on me not ms.
the same way I believe there will be neo only games in a few years.
can you imagine 3years time , a game on Scorpio that could go to neo but didn't because sony said no you have to support ps4 and visa versa.

the only reason people make out ms has been less clear is because of the extra power.

that's because the media won't report it.... :runaway:

On a serious note, Scorpio is great news, having both MS and Sony offering relatively affordable VR capable solutions only lowers the bar for developers to take on VR projects bc its less risky. A lot of what is being reported suggest VR truly is step forward so we should all be excited about this.
Actually you can listen to Giant Bomb discuss PS VR and the problems they've had. These guys are making neo gaf flip out right now http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/20/playstation-vrs-weakness-is-the-move-controller/2/

I've used all 3 headsets also.

Sony has been clear that neo isn't a new generation and ps4 will play every game.

MS has been clear it's not a new generation and xo and xo slim will play every game apart from superset of vr.

before when there was a new generation, didn't have to define why it was a new generation we just new. Now, when you actually think about it it's not actually easy to define.

do I think there will be Scorpio only games in a few years, regardless of what ms has said, yes i do, but that's on me not ms.
the same way I believe there will be neo only games in a few years.
can you imagine 3years time , a game on Scorpio that could go to neo but didn't because sony said no you have to support ps4 and visa versa.

the only reason people make out ms has been less clear is because of the extra power.

MS has said that scorpio would play the xbox one family of games. At some point in the future there will be Scorpio family of games.

I believe year 3 of Scorpio which is year 7 of xbox one which is more than enough.

But VR is another story

A lot of the problem with VR right now is they are trying to introduce motion controls when they really shouldn't be. Wii waggle remote, Playstation move, Kinect motion tracker...all failed. I continue to believe that motion controls will always be a gimmick in video games...I don't care how immersive the screen gets.

Motion controls try to bring realistic movements to something that is successful precisely because it is super unrealistic. Any game that attempt to implement motion controls will be pretty boring and end up as nothing more than a concept because you will be limited by real life movements.

Actually you can listen to Giant Bomb discuss PS VR and the problems they've had. These guys are making neo gaf flip out right now http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/20/playstation-vrs-weakness-is-the-move-controller/2/

I've used all 3 headsets also.

that article is about Move not NEO, not about a replacement or issues with core PS4 and VR.....

edit:

had to do to the third page on GAF to find the thread.... hardly flipping out with only 208 replies. Move is a known commodity, it works well enough and has been used long enough for us to know if it wasn't up for VR. Not that any of that backs up your position that NEO is a replacment....

Move seems good enough, from my experience with Tumble and the Frisbee Golf game which I played quite a lot. It could be better but I don't see Sony making a new one any time soon because DS4 will be the standard controller on PSVR anyway, and the vast majority of AAA games will be sitting experiences. It could use additional versions with a gun handle etc...

And this is a bit off topic from "what should Sony do to counter the rumored GPU advantage of Scorpio"

that article is about Move not NEO, not about a replacement or issues with core PS4 and VR.....

edit:

had to do to the third page on GAF to find the thread.... hardly flipping out with only 208 replies. Move is a known commodity, it works well enough and has been used long enough for us to know if it wasn't up for VR. Not that any of that backs up your position that NEO is a replacment....

when I posted the thread was still new. Move has a lot of problem s that wasn't fixed with the new camera. Giant Bomb , that site and others have complained.

You can also read the article and see he has complained about the quality of the vr experiances. That is an issue Giant Bomb has also brought up.

Back