Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

I thought it had a DSG...the Veyron. I am pretty sure it did. And also anyone else get the feeling after having watched it again that it seemed like the Stig was taking it easy with that car?

I'm not. The Veyron has almost double the power. That said, is the Veyron automatic or does it come with DSG? It sounded as if it was automatic .. which would make it slower.

US
Um it weighs over 4200 pounds, and it has DSG.
It's not automatic.. that would be extremely stupid on a supercar because of the parasitic loss and I'm not sure many automatic trannies/torque converters could handle the power/torque combined with the top speed ;)

so much for those people who said the veyron would be crap round a track
eh colicab ;)

I dont call 5th place for a car that is constantly hailed as the fastest in the world that good. Maybe crap is a overstatement, but im really not impressed. It got beaten by 0.5 secs by a car with no roof, which is cheaper to buy, actually makes a profit when sold and looks alot cooler from the outside and the inside.

I thought it had a DSG...the Veyron. I am pretty sure it did. And also anyone else get the feeling after having watched it again that it seemed like the Stig was taking it easy with that car?

A heavy, powerful car like that will always look like its driver is taking it easy, no matter how hard you push it.

I'm not. The Veyron has almost double the power.

It's more like 50% more power instead of 100% and that power or the extra 500kg doesn't help in cornering nor does it help in braking. Veyron is also designed to be a luxury super car, instead of track missile like the Zonda F. With all the compromises Veyron has, it's laptime is very respectable.

I bet if they gave Stig one of his "brave" pills he'd go much faster. He backed right off in the follow through.

It's more like 50% more power instead of 100% and that power or the extra 500kg doesn't help in cornering nor does it help in braking. Veyron is also designed to be a luxury super car, instead of track missile like the Zonda F. With all the compromises Veyron has, it's laptime is very respectable.
Indeed.
And people need to realize that even if it had twice the power it wouldnt double the speed of it(not a linear relationship)- a 200hp car vs a 400 hp car (for easy math) doesnt run the run the 1/4 mile in half the time for example so just because a car has say 400hp more more power than another doesnt mean it will be whatever percentage that is faster than it. A veyron goes 253 not because it has about 1000hp but because the car is very slippery.
btw it's been shown that your cornering speed in the top gear test track is more important than raw power in the first place. A Veyron is not a small car by any means, it may hold good lateral g's but it still cant hide the weight of it in the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
In one show capt. slow said "it takes the veyron 250hp to get to 150mph, to do the other 100mph takes a further 750hp"

I dont call 5th place for a car that is constantly hailed as the fastest in the world that good. Maybe crap is a overstatement, but im really not impressed. It got beaten by 0.5 secs by a car with no roof, which is cheaper to buy, actually makes a profit when sold and looks alot cooler from the outside and the inside.
That's some rather pathetic reasoning. That test track takes makes the Veyron's raison d'etre - top speed - entirely useless. It's like saying Usian Bolt isn't very impressive doing suicides.

That the Veyron was designed from ground up to smash the ceiling of production car top speed and still be this fast around a short track is astounding. There's a good chance that it can't put even half of its power to the ground at any point during the lap. I really wish I knew that this episode was coming up because then we could make you predict its lap time. In any case, your comments on the Veyron were completely wrong.

I bet if they gave Stig one of his "brave" pills he'd go much faster. He backed right off in the follow through.

The Stig doesnt need brave pills. I thought it was clarkson who took brave pills. Wasnt that in the SLR race?

That's some rather pathetic reasoning. That test track takes makes the Veyron's raison d'etre - top speed - entirely useless. It's like saying Usian Bolt isn't very impressive doing suicides.

That the Veyron was designed from ground up to smash the ceiling of production car top speed and still be this fast around a short track is astounding. There's a good chance that it can't put even half of its power to the ground at any point during the lap. I really wish I knew that this episode was coming up because then we could make you predict its lap time. In any case, your comments on the Veyron were completely wrong.

Well its not that fast on the Ring either and that has more room for all its power (and more corners to take it away...)

And I dont see how the small TG track would be that much of a problem. The veyron wins out over other cars at 2 of the 3 important points. Its not as good around the corners, but it beats the other cars at pure acceleration and I dont know if you noticed that gigantic picnicktable on the back, but that surely must count as atleast 1 extra brake disk.

But yes maybe I was wrong. I thought it was going to be slower. I still dont get the car. Its luxery with speed it cant use and I dont get that.

Well...it DOES need all the horsepower to go the top speed...but it also needs the aerodynamics. I think that was one thing they had to change to make it work.
You need alot more than just HP to go 253, it's more like you need great aerodynamics (as in low drag) but you also need lots of hp... 100hp wont get you much more mph

I dont think the car's main thing is its top speed...its acceleration is not matched by other supercars as well....

You need alot more than just HP to go 253, it's more like you need great aerodynamics (as in low drag) but you also need lots of hp... 100hp wont get you much more mph

if the drag was low enough 100hp would be plenty to go 1000mph. Hell 1hp would be enough to go 100000mph given low enough drag. But yea I doubt such cars are possible to build lol.

Back