Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

I dont think the car's main thing is its top speed...its acceleration is not matched by other supercars as well....
Top speed is the cars main thing, while still being comfortable to drive and being able to last 20 years, or so they claim.

if the drag was low enough 100hp would be plenty to go 1000mph. Hell 1hp would be enough to go 100000mph given low enough drag. But yea I doubt such cars are possible to build lol.
right, point I was making that at such speeds what might seem like alot more power wont amount to a big gain in top speed.

Well its not that fast on the Ring either and that has more room for all its power (and more corners to take it away...)

Do you have any link to what a Veyron supposedly does around the nurburgring? I haven't seen anything. I find it hard to believe its going to be slow, as the nurburgring is a highspeed track, with many very long straights where the Veyron would absolutely smash everything else, even if its a little slower out of the corners.

I really doubt you guys are talking about the Nordschleife, because while it may have a few straights, they're definately not highspeed (despite high speeds being achievable). It's a dangerous track and very bumpy. I wouldn't consider it a race-track per say either (in fact, it's a public closed road).

7:40 according to Wikipedia
Well its not that fast on the Ring either and that has more room for all its power (and more corners to take it away...)
I spent 2 minutes Googling and found out that this time was merely speculated by some guys from "Wheels" magazine. I don't even think they test drove the car at the time.

And I dont see how the small TG track would be that much of a problem. The veyron wins out over other cars at 2 of the 3 important points. Its not as good around the corners, but it beats the other cars at pure acceleration and I dont know if you noticed that gigantic picnicktable on the back, but that surely must count as atleast 1 extra brake disk.
Air brakes have much more effect at high speed, because it's not very big compared to the frontal area of the car and relies on turbulence. Judging by the effect of drag racer parachutes, the Veyron's spoiler probably gives only 1/10th of a G at 150 mph, and a fraction of that at 100 mph and below.

The point is that the Veyron is carrying a huge amount of weight purely for the purpose of high speed. The huge engine doesn't do much more for acceleration below 100 mph than the 500+ hp engines of other cars. There's all the weight of the hydraulics to adjust the height of the car and operate the spoiler. Finally, there's all the luxury you find in a car built for cruising.

Slap on a few hundred kilos to any other car and its lap time will go up in a hurry.

But yes maybe I was wrong. I thought it was going to be slower. I still dont get the car. Its luxery with speed it cant use and I dont get that.
You're not making much sense here. Which car has speed that you can use? An Enzo? A Zonda? Straight line acceleration is more "useful" to an owner than speed around a track. Luxury is also more useful, especially compared to other cars at the top of the list.

The problem with the Veyron's top speed is that you need to put a special key in it and also have Bugatti fit 4 tyres for the run, so it is hardly practical.

Although not as quick around the TG track with the Stig on board I bet it is a lot faster than all the cars above it on the scoreboard actually on the road with a normal , but rich, driver on board. That is probably rather more relevant to the people owning this in general and to that end it is very impressive.

But yes maybe I was wrong. I thought it was going to be slower. I still dont get the car. Its luxery with speed it cant use and I dont get that.

When you actually go out and drive some car in your life you will notice two tings:

The only thing you can utilize on a public road is acceleration and braking. Acceleration on the other hand is something you can utilize all the time. Knowing that you can outbrake or accelerate better than the other cars on the road is nice. Its nice to be able to overtake any car you want whenever you feel like it. That is really the entire point of having a fast car on public roads, overtaking.

No public roads are curvy and fast enough to make you utlilize a supercars handling abilities, unless your driving fast enough to be incarcerated.

If you have good tires on, no road is going to be curvy enough for you to have some kind of advantage with greater handling abilities. Atleast i have never met a corner my cars couldn't handle just fine, unless i was going at very very excessive speeds

Luxury and comfort are two very nice things to have. Ever gone on a long drive in a 360 modena? It will leave you absultely exhausted after a couple hours.

Summary:

Acceleration is atleast something you can utilize all the time, comfort and luxury aswell, the handling abilities of an enzo on the other hand is something you can only experience on a track, unless you have a death wish.

you argument that the Veyron only has things you cant use is rubbish. A veyron is much more practical than an enzo. AWD alone makes the car win on that. Driving high powered RWD cars in rain and other conditions is rather tricky. One misjustment at your either dead, or your going to have a very big repair bill.

That source has no credit whatsoever.

Anybody have a real figure?
I did say according to wikipedia which implies such.
The problem with the Veyron's top speed is that you need to put a special key in it and also have Bugatti fit 4 tyres for the run, so it is hardly practical.
I don't think it's a special key, it's just the key and the only reason you have to use it is so you don't do it by accident whilst driving.

When you actually go out and drive some car in your life you will notice two tings:

The only thing you can utilize on a public road is acceleration and braking. Acceleration on the other hand is something you can utilize all the time. Knowing that you can outbrake or accelerate better than the other cars on the road is nice. Its nice to be able to overtake any car you want whenever you feel like it. That is really the entire point of having a fast car on public roads, overtaking.

No public roads are curvy and fast enough to make you utlilize a supercars handling abilities, unless your driving fast enough to be incarcerated.

If you have good tires on, no road is going to be curvy enough for you to have some kind of advantage with greater handling abilities. Atleast i have never met a corner my cars couldn't handle just fine, unless i was going at very very excessive speeds

Luxury and comfort are two very nice things to have. Ever gone on a long drive in a 360 modena? It will leave you absultely exhausted after a couple hours.

Summary:

Acceleration is atleast something you can utilize all the time, comfort and luxury aswell, the handling abilities of an enzo on the other hand is something you can only experience on a track, unless you have a death wish.

you argument that the Veyron only has things you cant use is rubbish. A veyron is much more practical than an enzo. AWD alone makes the car win on that. Driving high powered RWD cars in rain and other conditions is rather tricky. One misjustment at your either dead, or your going to have a very big repair bill.

Given that you need to buy another WV product rather than the Veyron and that is the Bentley, which not only gives you good acceleration but also a far superior ride and also interior. You can also see out of it better for determining if you can overtake or not ....

Forgetting the Veyron top speed, which is useless all the time, perhaps it is the jack of all trades and master at none?

Lets face it, if you were offered one of these

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/community/gallery/F1 LM front.jpg

or a Veyron which would you go for? That's a 10 year old car by the way

I would sooner have the Veyron, not only would it be cheaper (Only 5 LMs were sold), there'd be far less chance of me dying driving it.

Also, the Veyron would take it, no problems. The F1 isn't the greatest handling car ever made, in fact it isn't looked on favourable at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Than again, the F1 launched in what '91? I'm not a fan of anything mclaren but I dont really see the point in comparing a 10+ year old supercar against a new one. Also, I think you'd actually have less chance of killing yourself in a F1. Have you heard what May said about driving the veyron @ 400kmph? he said it wasnt really exiting and that you didnt really get that WOW im doing 400kpmh! feeling. While, I dont know if you have seen the fifth gear ep with the F! GT and the Enzo (its on youtube btw) but just starting the engine of that thing makes your hairs raise. If you drive 60 in that thing you'd probably already are very exited and dont go push it and push it wondering when you'll get some exitement out of your 400kmph car.

That another thing I have with they veyron. What is the point in going really fast if you dont feel like going really fast? That makes it as exiting as sitting in a 900kmph airplane. Its kinda like Clarkson said: When you drive a Ferrari or a koenigsegg on its topspeed you get the feeling the skin is slowly being peeled of, that the car is really is at the top of its mechanical ability. With the veyron you dont get that at all, it just does it.

Thats what supercars all are about. Making you feel like a kid and making you excited. I dont see the point in a supercar that goes really fast and ist exiting but instead has luxury. That is useless. You cant use the speed, so all it has is luxery. You better buy a Rolls Royce than. That has way more luxery and will do exactly the same speeds on a normale road as you'd do in your veyron (unless you want to go above 250 or so..) and is more comfortable.

There is little point arguing with you as you are doing a good enough job arguing with yourself.

One of the biggest thrills in fast cars is acceleration, my own car went up about 3 marks out of ten in my book when I got it tuned up to about 350 bhp.

If you got 1.3m to spend, than this seems a better option to me if its acceleration and sheer speed you are after...

top%20fuel%20news.jpg

Probably cheaper too.

Yes and unlike the veryon that dragster is great around corners :D

Back to that 4 door porsche, it looks a lot better here :

Yes and unlike the veryon that dragster is great around corners :D

Back to that 4 door porsche, it looks a lot better here :

No, it still looks terrible. There are so many reasons, besides the douche bag factor, of why that car makes me puke just a little in my mouth.

I would sooner have the Veyron, not only would it be cheaper (Only 5 LMs were sold), there'd be far less chance of me dying driving it.

Also, the Veyron would take it, no problems. The F1 isn't the greatest handling car ever made, in fact it isn't looked on favourable at all.

But the Veyron is not the greatest handling car of all time either so you can scrap that point immediately.

Also Mclaren didn't do the following

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/04/geneva-2008-bugatti-veyron-fbg-by-hermes-scepter-and-empire-no/

Perhaps they should have named it the Bugatti Whore ?

"The utmost attention has been paid to the reworking of the interior and exterior alike. A highly detailed approach, reflecting the spirit of excellence underpinning the collaboration between teams from Bugatti and Hermès on this shared project. Handcrafted leatherwork by Hermès is to be found throughout, even under the hood."

Paris and Hilton are two words that sums up the Veyron

Leatherwork under the hood for the Veyron compared to gold leaf under the engine bay of the McLaren simply because it reflected more heat rather than match a handbag....

"Handcrafted leatherwork by Hermès is to be found throughout, even under the hood" sums up the ethos behind the Veyron and that is why it does not hold a candle to the McLaren F1.

And lets not forget this

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/11/mirror-finish-bugatti-veyron-marks-new-pavillion-at-autostadt/

Bling bling bling.

Can you imagine Ron Dennis and Gordon Murray thinking plating the F1 in Chrome was a good idea?

As Obama would say " No we can't ! "

Than again, the F1 launched in what '91? I'm not a fan of anything mclaren but I dont really see the point in comparing a 10+ year old supercar against a new one. Also, I think you'd actually have less chance of killing yourself in a F1. Have you heard what May said about driving the veyron @ 400kmph? he said it wasnt really exiting and that you didnt really get that WOW im doing 400kpmh! feeling. While, I dont know if you have seen the fifth gear ep with the F! GT and the Enzo (its on youtube btw) but just starting the engine of that thing makes your hairs raise. If you drive 60 in that thing you'd probably already are very exited and dont go push it and push it wondering when you'll get some exitement out of your 400kmph car.

That another thing I have with they veyron. What is the point in going really fast if you dont feel like going really fast? That makes it as exiting as sitting in a 900kmph airplane. Its kinda like Clarkson said: When you drive a Ferrari or a koenigsegg on its topspeed you get the feeling the skin is slowly being peeled of, that the car is really is at the top of its mechanical ability. With the veyron you dont get that at all, it just does it.

Thats what supercars all are about. Making you feel like a kid and making you excited. I dont see the point in a supercar that goes really fast and ist exiting but instead has luxury. That is useless. You cant use the speed, so all it has is luxery. You better buy a Rolls Royce than. That has way more luxery and will do exactly the same speeds on a normale road as you'd do in your veyron (unless you want to go above 250 or so..) and is more comfortable.

Exactly!

That is why when the 959 came out it got panned compared against the Ferrari F40 ( yes I am old enough to remember). The 959 had loads of gizmo's but it was just not exciting enough compared to the F40.

Given that you need to buy another WV product rather than the Veyron and that is the Bentley, which not only gives you good acceleration but also a far superior ride and also interior.

Well Bentley may have good acceleration, but Veyron has 1000cc sport bike acceleration and the gap between those is HUGE.

Back