Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

One of the biggest thrills in fast cars is acceleration, my own car went up about 3 marks out of ten in my book when I got it tuned up to about 350 bhp.

No, one of the biggest thrills is going into a corner too fast and then finding out, in very quick succession, how good you and the car is :D

The next big thrill is then going into the corner too fast and knowing what you and your car can do whilst putting you passenger in the paragraph above ;)

Acceration is only fun on motorbikes with the front end coming up.

My car has excellent handling, yet I don't really care for cornering, unless it is with a huge dollop of right foot (ie acceleration) and some sliding going on.

Cornering is only just more exciting than braking as far as I'm concerned.

Well Bentley may have good acceleration, but Veyron has 1000cc sport bike acceleration and the gap between those is HUGE.

Like I said, buy a Bentley or a fast car (or in this case bike as you mention it) but going for the Veyron you just get a jack of all trades. Now that would be fine if it only cost £100 000 without Hermes bags or Chrome paint, but as it costs £800 000 then what's the deal ?

How about this instead ? Buy the Bentley and the 9ff GT9 and save some money then?

http://video.google.co.uk/videosear...sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

My car has excellent handling, yet I don't really care for cornering, unless it is with a huge dollop of right foot (ie acceleration) and some sliding going on.

You must be a yank with 3 cups of coffee in multiple cup holders who doesn't want them to spill in that case, oversteer and understeer is anathema to you and NASCAR has too many corners.

:D

You must be a yank with 3 cups of coffee in multiple cup holders who doesn't want them to spill in that case, oversteer and understeer is anathema to you and NASCAR has too many corners.

:D

I'm "a Yank" and I live for corners. Straight line acceleration can be fun, but there's no real challenge involved unless one is traction-limited, and then it's just a matter of pedal modulation.

In what way was I wrong about the Mclaren F1 LM?

I only said it was expensive, not that great at handling and would be beaten around a track by a Veyron.

Please, enlighten me.

I am pretty sure that if one drives a Mclaren F1 and a Veyron that one person...me...will surely opt for the Veyron. It looks unlike anything on the road and in the right color combination will look stunning. The interior is very luxurious and it can outhandle a lot of the cars on the road as can be seen by the top gear lap time. Also it is faster in a straight line in terms of sheer acceleration compared to any car on the road as well. And it is quiet and smooth when it needs to be and loud and brash when you floor it. I just cant fault that car at all!

but going for the Veyron you just get a jack of all trades.

No Veyron is a master in acceleration, just because there might be one or two hack jobs of a car that are little faster doesn't mean Veyron is not a master in that. I wonder what's the reliability of that Porsche or say koenigsegg CCR. Now you might say that's not important, but it would be real easy to make the Veyron just as unreliable as those two and squeeze waaayy more power out of its' engine and then it would be faster than those hack jobs.

In what way was I wrong about the Mclaren F1 LM?

I only said it was expensive, not that great at handling and would be beaten around a track by a Veyron.

Please, enlighten me.

Well a second hand Veyron is going for less than new but a Mclaren is now worth much more than it cost new. So which is expensive?

You say it is not great at handling but it won Le Mans and was dominant in racing .. tell me how the Veyron compares to this :-

"The F1 GTR would go on to take its greatest achievement with 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 13th places in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans, beating out custom built prototype sports cars"

The only thing Veyron has got associated with Le Mans is that the driver it is named after won there.

If the Veyron is that good at handling how many races on closed circuits has it won compared to the Mclaren F1? Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren all raced their road cars ... even Bugatti did 70 years ago .. not now it seems....

No Veyron is a master in acceleration, just because there might be one or two hack jobs of a car that are little faster doesn't mean Veyron is not a master in that. I wonder what's the reliability of that Porsche or say koenigsegg CCR. Now you might say that's not important, but it would be real easy to make the Veyron just as unreliable as those two and squeeze waaayy more power out of its' engine and then it would be faster than those hack jobs.

Do you have any data to back up your claims that the cars you mention are less reliable than the Veyron before you start talking about "hack jobs" ?

Do you have any data to back up your claims that the cars you mention are less reliable than the Veyron before you start talking about "hack jobs" ?

Well common sense for one... Veyron's engine has less power per litre/cylinder/turbo than for example the new Audi S3 and I remember that VW was prepared to squeeze more power out of it, if any other major car manufacturer would have entered the horsepower race, it turned out that nobody did.

edit: Few links that have some info and speculation about future Veyron's spec and the leg room the engine has for more power.

http://globalmotors.net/bugatti-veyron-will-get-extra-350hp-total-power-at-1350hp/

http://inventorspot.com/articles/even_more_power_2012_veyron_17254

Basically those figures are achieved with relatively minor changes and are still considered to be within safety margins, now if you drop safety out of the picture, you could squeeze even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you can use that to say the veyron is more reliable than the hack-jobs. The veyron is also a heck of a lot more complex and with complexity comes failures.

Lets face it, if you were offered one of these

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/community/gallery/F1 LM front.jpg

or a Veyron which would you go for? That's a 10 year old car by the way

I would take the veyron. Have you seen what people wear when they drive a F1 LM? They wear huge headphones because the noise is so immense, absolutely no soundproofing whatsoever in that car. You have to talk to your passenger through a ****ing radio.

The veyron on the other hand is much more comfier and something i could actually use.

Also, i dunno why people critizise the veyron lap time. Its very very very good. On a track that absolutely doesn't play on veyrons strenghts (i bet you that on a bit faster course, with more downforce from the wing, it can have quite impresse turning abilities compared to the other cars) . Tbh going 4th on that list, considering how the track is, its rather impressive. It beat the Enzo, Maserati MC12, and a ton of other great cars. Considering the amount of luxury and extra weight, and that it can do such a humoungous top speed, and has motorbike acceleration, its pretty unbelievable. Shame that it looks so.. meh and sounds so meh..

Last edited by a moderator:
"The F1 GTR would go on to take its greatest achievement with 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 13th places in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans, beating out custom built prototype sports cars"

The only thing Veyron has got associated with Le Mans is that the driver it is named after won there. .

So what?

1. Custom prototype sports cars is really dependant on who is in the year that race and with what. Not tring to downplay anything, im sure its a very very very fast car.

2. If we would have stripped the Veyron of all luxury items, im sure things would get impressive. You can easily get atleast 200kg of it if we take out the interior with all that leather and replace the two seats with 1 racing seat. Those 200kg would make the Veyron probably go faster around both the top gear track and the Le Mans track (which offers an amazingly long straight if i remember correctly) than most.

I don't know if you can use that to say the veyron is more reliable than the hack-jobs. The veyron is also a heck of a lot more complex and with complexity comes failures.

Well I wasn't talking about some electric failures in head lamps or something like that, what I was saying was, that the engine in Veyron is not pushed nearly as far as in those other cars, as it's power figures relatively to its size are rather modest. It's basically four 2 liter turbocharged engines producing 250hp bolt into one and I have understood that the service interval for Veyron are quite long unlike surely those other two.

Well a second hand Veyron is going for less than new but a Mclaren is now worth much more than it cost new. So which is expensive?

You say it is not great at handling but it won Le Mans and was dominant in racing .. tell me how the Veyron compares to this
The car that costs more to buy is the most expensive and that is the F1 LM that you posted a picture of.

No it didn't, a heavily modified version won Le Mans, I think a heavily modified Veyron would decimate all at Le Man seeing as it is mainly straights.

Don't get me wrong I like the F1, but to hold it up as some sort of challenger to the Veyron as you have isn't doing it any favours.

No it didn't, a heavily modified version won Le Mans, I think a heavily modified Veyron would decimate all at Le Man seeing as it is mainly straights.

No doubt about that. The "Circuit de la Sarthe" is a very high speed track, i think 75% or so of a lap is full throttle. The 5 km long straight is a place where the Veyron would kill any competition.

Back