Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Almost half hour just to "calculate" stuff in the allegedly super fast internal SSD, so I can press the COPY button
Screenshot_2024-01-05-21-50-11-661_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpgScreenshot_2024-01-05-21-53-17-466_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

After I pressed copy, I've waited 5 minutes it's stuck like this, I gave up waiting, and just leave it to grab a food

Screenshot_2024-01-05-21-53-24-992_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

PS5 is so slow despite it have much higher spec than Xbox series s. It's so weird.

Do Sony kneecaped themselves by limiting the OS to very small resource or something?

Almost half hour just to "calculate" stuff in the allegedly super fast internal SSD, so I can press the COPY button
View attachment 10500View attachment 10498

After I pressed copy, I've waited 5 minutes it's stuck like this, I gave up waiting, and just leave it to grab a food

View attachment 10497

PS5 is so slow despite it have much higher spec than Xbox series s. It's so weird.

Do Sony kneecaped themselves by limiting the OS to very small resource or something?

The SSD of Sony write speed is very low in the low hundreds of Mb/s. This was in the patent about the SSD an asymmetric SSD speed. This is a cost reduction measure.

In many ways PS5 OS is a downgrade compared to PS4. And obviously, like in many recent Sony games, they treat you like you are 8 years old with nonstop tutorials galore.

But most games having fps drops still benefit from VRR as the framerate is above 48fps in the vast majority of time.
The downgrade is quite widespread it seems. Not only it got missing features (especially related to media capabilites), ita UX is also downgraded.

For example, the quick menu requires me to navigate vertically, then horizontally, then vertically, to press turn off/rest mode

While on PS4 all vertical navigation

Last edited:
The downgrade is quite widespread it seems. Not only it got missing features (especially related to media capabilites), ita UX is also downgraded.

For example, the quick menu requires me to navigate vertically, then horizontally, then vertically.

While on PS4 all vertical navigation
Sell it to a charity. It’s not the machine for you😀

Sell it to a charity. It’s not the machine for you😀
But next month ff7 part 2.

Anyway,
Its really weird tho, as it seems most people prefers ps5 UX than Xbox. So people does thinks it's fine to be bombarded with tutorials, with menu navigation direction switcheroo, etc.

Ive never read any of these ps5 ux issues mentioned in reviews or in user complains. While on xbox, there are many UX complains.

Best UX is Nintendo switch I guess. Not many complains and I like it due to its clear visuals and consistent navigation. Heck, most complains are actually feature request (making it more customizable)

At least from various subreddit that I visited, and website articles/reviews.

Anyway,
Its really weird tho, as it seems most people prefers ps5 UX than Xbox. So people does thinks it's fine to be bombarded with tutorials, with menu navigation direction switcheroo, etc.

Ive never read any of these ps5 ux issues mentioned in reviews or in user complains. While on xbox, there are many UX complains.

Best UX is Nintendo switch I guess. Not many complains and I like it due to its clear visuals and consistent navigation. Heck, most complains are actually feature request (making it more customizable)

I think most people just got over the issues as you dont really interact with the UI once set up. I still think ps/360 set the the template and it’s just been a shuffling of the template since.

My only issue is the writing to ssd which seems to make liars of all involved😀

I'm in the same boat as you re av amp. A cheap HDMI splitter will sort you out, pretty much hassle free.

Last edited:
My only issue is the writing to ssd which seems to make liars of all involved😀
Ah! Indeed, that will be a hassle.

As with Xbox series s, it already took quite awhile to copy from external ssd.

But in the flip side, ps5 allows nvme expansion ssd so installing nvme ssd basically solved the issue of slow game copy time, as games can directly launched

Anyway,

I was getting tutorials only the first time I logged in.

Hiya, my cfi12000a ps5 makes a heavy "thunk" sound when I flipped it upside down to access the ssd slot.

I can consistently make that thunk sound by gently shaking the ps5 vertically, while upside down.

Any idea what makes this sound?

Btw any idea how to turn off the LEDs?

On Xbox series s it's in the settings but I can't find it in ps5, only to dim them.

Edit

Poor Sony quality control.

They've raised ps5 price and they still can't even do proper QC. Yeesh.

Oh and the HD vibrators are weaker than my old dualsense.

My old dualsense already drifts (fixed with a drop of engine oil), and no longer have sticks rubbers tho.

Last edited:
Why would you want to turn off the LEDs?
I am in general perplexed by the problems that you find.
What exactly is your PS5 running that makes your dualsense make noise?
I don't remember my PS5 doing any sound when I turned it upside down to add an SSD.

Also regarding the turn off of the console taping the PS button gets you automatically there where you can vertically choose to shut down your console in a matter of 3 seconds.

Why would you want to turn off the LEDs?
I am in general perplexed by the problems that you find.
What exactly is your PS5 running that makes your dualsense make noise?
I don't remember my PS5 doing any sound when I turned it upside down to add an SSD.

Also regarding the turn off of the console taping the PS button gets you automatically there where you can vertically choose to shut down your console in a matter of 3 seconds.

Turn off LEDs because it's bright and distracting

Playroom intro (a game by Sony studio)

The problem, as ive explained, was the multiple axis navigation.

It's fine if it's all vertical axis like PS4. But on ps5, it's vertical, then horizontal, then vertical.

I circumvented this issue by placing power to be the leftmost icon. But the exact same issue still occur for other stuff like the profile switching.

Not sure why they "downgraded" the UX like that from ps4 to ps5. The downgrade is also not limited to this, as I've mentioned before.

Yeah, I find their insistence on LED's pretty annoying. For starting up or shutting down, sure, I'm fine with that for both the console and controller, but there ought to be an option to just turn them off when in use.

As for the UI though, I much prefer it to the PS4's. For me, it's one press of the PS button to bring up the system menu, press left once, press X twice, and it's in rest mode ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It can reflect off the TV. I have this with DS4 controllers and it sucks. Considering there's no camera to track controllers any more, but-arse lights make no sense! Certainly not without the option to disable them.
The I remember the Dual Shock 4 being particularly bad for LED reflections given controller's rear LED was relatively large as it was designed to be a focus target for the PS camera. I game in the dark a fair bit and not noticed reflection with the DualSense but I imagine it depends on how your hold the controller, distance and angles.

@orangpelupa
Congratulations on your new PS5! How's the fan and coil whine lottery ;) ? To test the latter, I recommend installing the ultimate coil whine benchmark, i.e. Genshin Impact 😆.

Hiya, my cfi12000a ps5 makes a heavy "thunk" sound when I flipped it upside down to access the ssd slot.

I can consistently make that thunk sound by gently shaking the ps5 vertically, while upside down.

Any idea what makes this sound?

Btw any idea how to turn off the LEDs?

On Xbox series s it's in the settings but I can't find it in ps5, only to dim them.

Edit

Poor Sony quality control.

They've raised ps5 price and they still can't even do proper QC. Yeesh.

Oh and the HD vibrators are weaker than my old dualsense.

My old dualsense already drifts (fixed with a drop of engine oil), and no longer have sticks rubbers tho.
They are supposed to be weaker but more subtle and immersive. Have you tried Astro's playroom? But I'd say they are strong enough at their max.

On PS4 LED being mandatory could be explained by PSVR in which it was mandatory. On PS5 I don't know why we can't turn it off. Probably inertia. I mean, since PS3 people have being asking to turn off the incredibly noisy starting beep (that was even more noisy on PS5, those madmen) and we could only do that since last year after an update. Why didn't they allow us to do that 10 years ago? Who knows.

PS5 is nextgen for many things like Dualsense features, instant <2sec loadings (when properly done in a few 1st party games :yep2:), and RT / 60fps. But it's actually a downgrade from PS4 in many areas, the OS and the bigger Dualsense. What I want the most is the ability to use DS4 (the perfect controller for me) on PS5 native games. It is possible as all games can be played as such remotely, but Sony stubbornly refuse to allow DS4 to work directly on PS5 games.

For the annoying Dualsense LED you can put some tape on it...

Back