Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Okay... My ps5 is currently shipping, but I got another issue....

- when it arrived, should I plug it to my LG cx (for 4k120 VRR) or to my Yamaha avr (for lag free lpcm)....
- planning to buy ps5 exclusives aaaand... Uh... Turns out there are very few ps5 exclusives... Huh, I though ps5 got lots of exclusives, turns out it it didn't.

Edit:

Uh... And turns out psvr2 also got very few exclusives.

Huh. Interesting... Sony no longer pushing exclusives hard...

Last edited:
PS5 is basically PS4++. This gen still very cross-gen. However, games are prettier and smoother. The user experience is the main thing, super fast on and load etc.

That description is very spot on, I think. And with games struggling to run at 4k60fps on ps5, it made even more sense.

Now this got me wondering how the heck Sony managed to sell so many ps5 despite it got availability issue, lack of exclusives, and it even got a price hike.

Although with the little free time I have, I'll probably take months to finish ff 16 hahaha. Ooh and next month ff7 part 2 will be released.

Hmm I need to learn how to copy my ff7 part 1 save to ps5 without PS plus...

depends on what you expect.
If you watch the DF video about GT7 it's much improved over PS4 pro version while running native 4K and 60fps.
And what games with all next gen bells and whistle run at native 4K/60 on mid range PCs ?

PS5 is basically PS4++. This gen still very cross-gen. However, games are prettier and smoother. The user experience is the main thing, super fast on and load etc.
I think that's because there really been so few technological quantum leaps relevant to gaming. When you look back to the leaps between OG PlayStation and PS2, then PS2 to PS3, each represented a massive increase in processing power, available RAM but graphically it was night and day and the was much of the improvements being delivered, e.g. GTA San Andrea to GTA IV was huge.

I'd wager the average gamer couldn't tell the difference between super accurate RT lighting over what had become well crafted faking of lighting. Many DF videos need to demonstrate the differences of RT versus non-RT with side-by-side comparison videos, sometimes where zooming in is required. When playing a game most people aren't going to notice such details and developers and artists got really good at faking it.

AI may be the next technical advancement where new console hardware will make new types of games possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. AI is super exciting and I spend way too much time messing about with models in LM Studio, but there needs to be a good gameplay mechanic that AI can benefit. RPGs seem like a good fit but having 'intelligence' without animation and voicing to support it, will limit it I think.

I think something like Elder Scrolls VII where all the NPCs are animated, voiced, where you can talk to them naturally using a microphone, where they can remember previous conversations and can also have meaningful conversations between themselves. But is that good gameplay or is that just better world building? :unsure: If your NPCs can go off the rails how can you build predictable stories?

Okay... My ps5 is currently shipping, but I got another issue....

- when it arrived, should I plug it to my LG cx (for 4k120 VRR) or to my Yamaha avr (for lag free lpcm)....

I plug in my PS5 directly into my Sony OLED and then do optical out to my receiver. There is a bit of lag in the audio, but I think the image is more important. You can also try something like the Thenaudio (didn't work for me) or a hdmi 2.1 sount splitter (there seems to be a lot of models available).

I was gonna say. surely you need to pipe the same source into both TV and receiver without chaining? Then you'd need latency adjustment on the audio to delay it to fit the TV, assuming audio processing is less laggy. Don't really want to be adding lag to the visuals.

What do you mean about "chaining"? The hdmi audio splitters I have looked at promise near-zero additional lag, but I don't have the means to test anuy.

That description is very spot on, I think. And with games struggling to run at 4k60fps on ps5, it made even more sense.

Now this got me wondering how the heck Sony managed to sell so many ps5 despite it got availability issue, lack of exclusives, and it even got a price hike.

Although with the little free time I have, I'll probably take months to finish ff 16 hahaha. Ooh and next month ff7 part 2 will be released.

Hmm I need to learn how to copy my ff7 part 1 save to ps5 without PS plus...
PS5 specific exclusives aren't many, but navigating the console is a much smoother experience. The cross gen titles provide a significantly smoother and visually more pleasing experience than it's PS4 versions.

I recently finished Forbidden West, and the game is one of the most impressive looking open world games ever. The 40fps Quality mode is a blessing. I started GoW Ragnarok and it is top notch. Also offers 40fps Quality mode.

FF7 is much more enjoyable both visually and in terms of gameplay due to it's smoother framerates on PS5

Rachet & Clank is still one of the best games visually on any platform in my book.

And I dig how the controller feels with its new ergonomics and haptic feedback.

It is certainly not the leap we got in the past. Games became too complex and expensive to make and we reached a point of diminishing returns, but I think it is the best console money can buy at this moment both for the PS exclusives and it's third party games.

I often observe the complexity and detail in those PS exclusives and I am mindblown by the attention to detail and overall work they put into their AAA projects. It is crazy how much talent and dedication is in there. I don't know how they keep up.

I plug in my PS5 directly into my Sony OLED and then do optical out to my receiver. There is a bit of lag in the audio, but I think the image is more important. You can also try something like the Thenaudio (didn't work for me) or a hdmi 2.1 sount splitter (there seems to be a lot of models available).

Holy shit! Ps5 have optical audio out!

Problem instantly solved.

Optical audio practically have no noticeable lag for me.

Edit :

Ah I misunderstood. You were referring to TV's optical audio out.

Unfortunately my lg CX optical audio out have noticeable latency

PS5 specific exclusives aren't many, but navigating the console is a much smoother experience. The cross gen titles provide a significantly smoother and visually more pleasing experience than it's PS4 versions.

I recently finished Forbidden West, and the game is one of the most impressive looking open world games ever. The 40fps Quality mode is a blessing. I started GoW Ragnarok and it is top notch. Also offers 40fps Quality mode.

FF7 is much more enjoyable both visually and in terms of gameplay due to it's smoother framerates on PS5

Rachet & Clank is still one of the best games visually on any platform in my book.

And I dig how the controller feels with its new ergonomics and haptic feedback.

It is certainly not the leap we got in the past. Games became too complex and expensive to make and we reached a point of diminishing returns, but I think it is the best console money can buy at this moment both for the PS exclusives and it's third party games.

I often observe the complexity and detail in those PS exclusives and I am mindblown by the attention to detail and overall work they put into their AAA projects. It is crazy how much talent and dedication is in there. I don't know how they keep up.

Hmm I wonder how its UX compares with Xbox series.

Even my pc with pcie4 nvme, Ryzen 5600x, rtx 3070, 32GB RAM is still slower than xbox series.

Yes it was due to xbox series cheats via quick resume. But it was indeed super fast, and it basically provides instant "save anywhere" feature, even to old games.

On the other hand my ps4 pro already use SSD for its internal disk, and some games already loads fast. Even destiny equipment menu already loads much quicker.

Oh and I've just repasted my ps4 pro so it's whisper quiet

What do you mean about "chaining"?
Running from one device to another to another. Ideally you want to go from source to every target in parallel, not serial. That's why splitters or multiple out from source seems the right move.

I was able to remove audio lag by going from source (console+pc+bluray) to sound bar and sound bar to TV via hdmi arc.

Any other configuration caused audio delay.
But it seems like a YMMV type scenario

I was able to remove audio lag by going from source (console+pc+bluray) to sound bar and sound bar to TV via hdmi arc.

Yep that's why I'm thinking of plugging ps5 to my ancient avr.

The problem is that my ancient avr only do 4k60 SDR hdr, no VRR.

On xbox series s, this is a disaster as without the VRR, the 60fps mode in some games are basically useless due to the stutters.

On the other hand, ps5 VRR support is botched anyway, so maybe I won't miss VRR

If you use a normal splitter, it will default to the lowest common denominator i.e. if my HDR TV and PSVRv1 are both plugged into the splitter, my TV won't receive an HDR signal.

There are other splitters though which are able to accommodate your needs: 4K120+HDR to one output, and sound to another. I can't remember the term for them off the top of my head, but I'll have a look around to try and refamiliarise myself.

Edit: EDID appears to be what you're looking for. The first result I found on Amazon is pretty pricey, but I've done no further digging for cheaper options.

Last edited:

Are you sure this does not cause video delay? Also, do you have full bandwith HDMI 2.1 sound bar?

Are you sure this does not cause video delay? Also, do you have full bandwith HDMI 2.1 sound bar?
I have a full bandwidth soundbar. It was the only setup where I could get Dolby vision and Dolby atmos working together together from my bluray player. There’s just not enough bandwidth in the other direction. I bought more expensive 8K cables for this to work though, it’s really a necessary component.

what the.,.. PS5 OOBE is....

• dualsense not paired
  • so many options, so many full screen pop ups, so many "tutorials"
  • save games are not automatically cloud sync by each games. Same issue with trophies, but at least trophies can be synced all at once per account.
  • manual transfer via LAN keeps failing after ~15 minutes running
  • the console goes into STANDBY by itself while downloading an update in the OOBE wizard
  • need to manually select PS5 version of a game for crossgen games
  • the WIFI menu doesnt tell me which channel it supports. i need to manually google stuff. and instead saying "Ethernet is unpligged" it says that it needs ethernet setup (why the confusing language? i was so confused, turned out i hadnt plugged in my ethernet cable)
  • the horizonttal stand is.. uh... why they didnt put some kind of indent on the plastic, so i can be 100% sure i placed in in the right place?
  • hdr calibration have no way seeing in nits. So it's a tossup whether I set it right or not. Exact same issue as ps4.
oh and outside of OOBE, its also quite a surprise. felt like something that in beta, and should have been polished before release.
  • fake action galore. Pressed X, the visual shows I've pressed X, the audio FX also plays. But it turns out I still need to press X again, as it ignored my first time and 2nd time and 3rd time pressing X. This exact same issue is also on ps4 and ps4 pro. So maybe that's simply how Sony programmed their system to avoid race condition issue or something.
  • the switcher is misleading. its just app launcher. its not app switcher like quick resume on xbox series.

There are more quirks that I forgot right now. Oh and I still need to test the rear USB ports, and the nvme slot.

Last edited:
what the.,.. PS5 OOBE is....

• dualsense not paired
  • so many options, so many full screen pop ups, so many "tutorials"
  • save games are not automatically cloud sync by each games. Same issue with trophies, but at least trophies can be synced all at once per account.
  • manual transfer via LAN keeps failing after ~15 minutes running
  • the console goes into STANDBY by itself while downloading an update in the OOBE wizard
  • need to manually select PS5 version of a game for crossgen games
  • the WIFI menu doesnt tell me which channel it supports. i need to manually google stuff. and instead saying "Ethernet is unpligged" it says that it needs ethernet setup (why the confusing language? i was so confused, turned out i hadnt plugged in my ethernet cable)
  • the horizonttal stand is.. uh... why they didnt put some kind of indent on the plastic, so i can be 100% sure i placed in in the right place?
  • hdr calibration have no way seeing in nits. So it's a tossup whether I set it right or not. Exact same issue as ps4.
oh and outside of OOBE, its also quite a surprise. felt like something that in beta, and should have been polished before release.
  • fake action galore. Pressed X, the visual shows I've pressed X, the audio FX also plays. But it turns out I still need to press X again, as it ignored my first time and 2nd time and 3rd time pressing X. This exact same issue is also on ps4 and ps4 pro. So maybe that's simply how Sony programmed their system to avoid race condition issue or something.
  • the switcher is misleading. its just app launcher. its not app switcher like quick resume on xbox series.

There are more quirks that I forgot right now. Oh and I still need to test the rear USB ports, and the nvme slot.
In many ways PS5 OS is a downgrade compared to PS4. And obviously, like in many recent Sony games, they treat you like you are 8 years old with nonstop tutorials galore.

But most games having fps drops still benefit from VRR as the framerate is above 48fps in the vast majority of time.

Back