Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I have a bit of a problem with accidentally touching the triggers and wondering why my character is glitching out in a game. Heh. It just seems like the natural place the fingers rest. I feel like they ought to have a touch more initial deadzone.

I have a bit of a problem with accidentally touching the triggers and wondering why my character is glitching out in a game. Heh. It just seems like the natural place the fingers rest. I feel like they ought to have a touch more initial deadzone.

Playstation have bad trigger design for years and Sony didn't care. Xbox trigger is much better in avoiding unintended presses

Playstation have bad trigger design for years and Sony didn't care. Xbox trigger is much better in avoiding unintended presses

This made me think all the Twitch streams and YouTube VODs where someone put down their PlayStation controller and hit or killed an NPC because they were looking at the NPC when they put their controller down to go get a drink or go use the bathroom and that was enough to move the trigger and cause them to attack the NPC. :D

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I can't believe they didn't take the opportunity to fix it for good with the DS5. It's such a no-brainer, which means Sony will never fix it.
I think the DS5 is actually worse. The triggers are super sensitive to any touch. I don't remember running into this with the PS4. Maybe my particular DS5 is just especially touchy.

Keep in mind that for my anecdote it's because Sony, for whatever weird reason, decided it would be a good idea for the triggers to extend down below the body of the controller. This means that when you set it down, the controller is resting on the triggers. So it's very easy for the triggers to move when setting the controller down which leads to potentially unintended consequences in games where you can attack or kill important NPCs (like say the Souls games and Elden Ring).

If the triggers are also really sensitive, that just exacerbates that design choice.

The Xbox controllers by contrast have the body of the controller extend down below the triggers so that this isn't an issue.

Regards,
SB

I think the DS5 is actually worse. The triggers are super sensitive to any touch.
Trigger sensitivity is now entirely software programmable. You have have virtually zero resistance to quite a lot. That is the purpose of variable resistance.

Trigger sensitivity is now entirely software programmable. You have have virtually zero resistance to quite a lot. That is the purpose of variable resistance.
I know they have that force feedback function. I think that is a great addition. I'm just saying that in general play when the triggers are at normal tension/resistance they are super touchy and easily triggered by resting fingers.

I never had any of the issues you gus have, even with PS4 games on PS5 that supposedly have zero trigger programmability

Same here, and my son plays a tonne of GTA5. I wonder if specific games are an issue or maybe certain types of surfaces.

"PS5 triggers too sensitive" is a popular google search so there must be something to it. ;) Controller QA / variability, hand size and behavior, specific games, etc. Who knows. It's not a major problem at all, it's just something I've noticed with the PS5 that I don't remember experiencing before with PS3/4.

"PS5 triggers too sensitive" is a popular google search so there must be something to it. ;) Controller QA / variability, hand size and behavior, specific games, etc. Who knows. It's not a major problem at all, it's just something I've noticed with the PS5 that I don't remember experiencing before with PS3/4.
Thats data mining. "Popular" is subjective

Not a lot of relevant results though. The first results are Reddit threads about specific triggers, left or right, so defective controllers in those cases.

Even looking up Trends, it doesn't even feature, so where do you get your data it's a popular google?
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=PS5 triggers too sensitive
Type "ps5 triggers" into the search box and see what options you get. But I think it's best not to fixate on that. Whatever.

Last edited:
Looking at the PS5 controller, on a hard surface, the triggers actually won't depress. They want to pull outward in that position. So they thought about that.

And the triggers on mine are not loose. I see that some people are having problems with them wearing out in some manner.

This video essentially demonstrates what sometimes happens if I have a finger resting on a trigger. Though his controller seems to be doing it without any touch.

Last edited:
Looking at the PS5 controller, on a hard surface, the triggers actually won't depress. They want to pull outward in that position. So they thought about that.

And the triggers on mine are not loose. I see that some people are having problems with them wearing out in some manner.

This video essentially demonstrates what sometimes happens if I have a finger resting on a trigger. Though his controller seems to be doing it without any touch.
Dual Sense controllers use a potentiometer for the actual trigger inputs. Those are the same things that go bad and cause drift in most analog sticks, so perhaps his are staring to register phantom inputs. They also connect to the board using what amounts to an edge connector on a ribbon cable, which could be a point of failure. If you get some stuff in there it could show up as phantom presses.

On a side note, every Playstation controller previous to this has used a pressure sensitive button with a silicon pad for it's triggers. PS4 controllers also have a spring to help the trigger return to position, but the silicon pad is going to have a certain amount of resistance no matter what, where a pot would have almost none. Xbox and 360 controllers used pots for the triggers, but Xbox One and Series controllers use magnetometers mounter to the board with a magnet on the trigger. Not really sure this should matter that much, but it is a new approach from Sony, and that could account for some of the difference people are seeing.

Type "ps5 triggers" into the search box and see what options you get. But I think it's best not to fixate on that. Whatever.
That's not indicative. As rabidrabbit says, results are personalised. Using the actual google metrics, there's no indicator that trigger sensitivity is even a search term, let along a popular one! So I don't think there's any real evidence it's a concern among players.

Indeed, I've just tried pushing my triggers down by placing the controller in weird ways on the desk and knee with little success. Potentially you could press them against your knee but that's more a user thing than design fault. The controllers sit flat on a table without pressing the triggers so you should be able to put them down most places without issue. The design isn't different to DS4 either. Just trying my triggers, the DS4's need less effort to press than the DS5's, but that's likely from wear. XBO controller is a lot stiffer.

Back