Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

50euro (around 50usd?) official price hike for the PS5. Sony recently got sued for ripping off people on PSN, now these people get smacked on the back of the head for that
To be clear, a case has been opened. They have not been successfully sued or found guilty, and the argument against Sony is their 30% store fees which is industry standard and the same Nintendo and Steam charge - case should be levied at half the industry, not just Sony. And in ecosystems where there are lower developer fees, these haven't necessarily translated to lower consumer prices anyway so the whole case about Sony fixing prices for consumers is daft. Unless you mean the other case from July that was thrown out of court?

They aren't increasing US prices. Seems odd to claim price increases necessary because of inflation, but leave the US out.
Saw this mentioned elsewhere and apparently it's because of the exchange rates and sales elsewhere are losing against the dollar. I don't think it's a straight increase inline with inflation but more an adjusted price relative to international market changes precipitated by global inflation affecting said markets.

To be clear, a case has been opened. They have not been successfully sued or found guilty, and the argument against Sony is their 30% store fees which is industry standard and the same Nintendo and Steam charge - case should be levied at half the industry, not just Sony. And in ecosystems where there are lower developer fees, these haven't necessarily translated to lower consumer prices anyway so the whole case about Sony fixing prices for consumers is daft. Unless you mean the other case from July that was thrown out of court?

I think the main piece of that lawsuit is that Sony does not let other places sell digital codes, for instance Amazon can't sell you the Digital Edition of a Game. I haven't looked at it that closely because I don't expect it to go anywhere.

They aren't increasing US prices. Seems odd to claim price increases necessary because of inflation, but leave the US out.

It's based on the relative strength of the various currencies. The Yen is much weaker compared to the USD than it is compared to the EURO. Hence, there is less need to increase the price of the console in the US currently. Basically despite inflation, after currency conversion they're still likely coming out ahead with each sale of the console in the US when converted back to Yen.

At launch the PS5 sold for 49,980 Yen in Japan. In the US it sold for 499 USD or ~51,896 Yen after conversion. Currently that conversion results in ~68,113 Yen after conversion.

The Euro has also gone up in that interim but at less than half the rate that the USD went up. IE - not enough to cover any inflationary pressure on the manufacture of each console.

Keep in mind those are just simple conversions and don't reflect any fees or taxes that Sony would incur when converting and bringing that money back into Japan.

Interestingly I'd commented a year or so ago that I didn't think console prices would reduce this console generation due to global conditions. I'm a little surprised that it got so bad for Sony that they felt the need to actually increase prices in some territories.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Just for reference to my previous post. Sony is also increasing prices of the PS5 in Japan.

PS5 - 60,478 Yen
PS5-D - 49,478 Yen

So the US price after conversion is still well ahead of the increased price in Japan relative to it's launch price (conversion).

The new Euro price when not including VAT is roughly the same as the increased price in Japan after conversion.

Regards,
SB

It's based on the relative strength of the various currencies. The Yen is much weaker compared to the USD than it is compared to the EURO. Hence, there is less need to increase the price of the console in the US currently. Basically despite inflation, after currency conversion they're still likely coming out ahead with each sale of the console in the US when converted back to Yen.

At launch the PS5 sold for 49,980 Yen in Japan. In the US it sold for 499 USD or ~51,896 Yen after conversion. Currently that conversion results in ~68,113 Yen after conversion.

The Euro has also gone up in that interim but at less than half the rate that the USD went up. IE - not enough to cover any inflationary pressure on the manufacture of each console.

Keep in mind those are just simple conversions and don't reflect any fees or taxes that Sony would incur when converting and bringing that money back into Japan.

Interestingly I'd commented a year or so ago that I didn't think console prices would reduce this console generation due to global conditions. I'm a little surprised that it got so bad for Sony that they felt the need to actually increase prices in some territories.

Regards,
SB
Maybe loosely, but the CDN$ is within 2% of where it was when the PS5 launched and they just raised their price 4%.

0 games from Microsoft this year and again we get arrogant Sony

MS offers gamepass, its enough games. What has Sony offered so far this year exclusive to its platform? IIRC a bunch of it is on PS4 aswell, PC or remasters all over again. Its a weak argument as to why Sony increased prices whilest offering less then ever before.

Maybe loosely, but the CDN$ is within 2% of where it was when the PS5 launched and they just raised their price 4%.

Interestingly it looks like it was increased to match the USD to Yen conversion rather than the new Japanese pricing.

650 CAD to Yen converts at ~68,607 Yen
500 USD to Yen converts at ~68,330 Yen

Regards,
SB

0 games from Microsoft this year and again we get arrogant Sony
That's nuts. Prices have been rocketing for 18 months and there is a global recession on the horizon. Not wanting to take a hit is not arrogance, it's staying in business.

People who own a PS5 aren't impacted, and if the people who don't own one yet feel this is too much, they don't have to buy one. Maybe the Xbox Series is now looking like much better value.

That's nuts. Prices have been rocketing for 18 months and there is a global recession on the horizon. Not wanting to take a hit is not arrogance, it's staying in business.

People who own a PS5 aren't impacted, and if the people who don't own one yet feel this is too much, they don't have to buy one. Maybe the Xbox Series is now looking like much better value.
edit: I wrongly understand first time I read, sorry but Sony had record breaking few last years, increasing price of hw (that they already earn money on, its not ps3 era) is not necessary to stay in the buisness

Last edited:

The main reason they are making less profits (they are still making billions $ of profits of course, that's "taking a hit") is because they are selling less games, notably first-party. It has not much to with their hardware division.

So basically they increase the hardware price in order to compensate for the dollars they lost in sales (very likely because of their recent strategy since 2019 as they are down way more than the others notably Nintendo).

It's another good short-term strategy but bad long-term strategy obviously.

Reactions: snc
exactly, maybe they consider going back to old strategy that worked like focusing on current gen and not crossgen and stop wasting time on pc ports that struggle to sale 1/10 amount of playstation version sales

I think Sony's problem - and to a degree, the whole console industry - is that there does seem to be stalled growth. If you look at the global install bases and growth between Generation 6 (2D), Gen 7 (PlayStation) and Gen 8 (PS2) the market massively increased each time. That has slowed with Gen 9 (PS3) and Gen 10 (PS4). So if you want more users you have to go where they are.

I would expect Sony will keep this programme under review and weigh-up whether the effort spent porting games to Windows could result in more profit were it directed to produce more PlayStation games instead. I imagine it's a fairly complex issue, because porting a game should be vastly less effort than creating a new game from scratch because at the very least, the concept, IP and gameplay mechanics are all worked out - and with modern consoles, most of the graphics and audio assets will be a drop-in.

Back