Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Do they count timed exclusives in that list? For a corporate point of view those games can be counted as exclusives, as they think only in term or quarterly report.

Do they count timed exclusives in that list? For a corporate point of view those games can be counted as exclusives, as they think only in term or quarterly report.

No they only count Playstation studios games made by a first of third party studio.

No timed exclusives.

The solid black looks nice while the red doesn't.

Though they both commit the same sin as other controllers, where have the colorful button faces gone? I'm not a fan of the new subtle button style regardless of the platform.

It's feel old because you've been showing it for years and years.
Days Gone suffered because of this.

They unveiled it on E3 2016, and game came out in April of 2019. It got shown on three E3s. ~_~

deathloop, stray, Solar Ash Kingdom, jett, sifu etc ;d
Only games published by PlayStation are counted here. So no Deathlop [Betheda], no Stray [Annapurna], no Solar Ash Kingdom [Annapurna], no Sifu [selfpublished?]...

Last edited:
Was watching a heap of console repair videos and one of the repairers said that alot of PS5s are coming in with damaged HDMI outputs on them. Apparently the way it is designed makes it a bit easier to damage them if you push in the cable too hard.

So, do we know for a fact if Sony has an equivalent to Sampler Feedback Streaming exposed in the PS5? Or are they perhaps just relying on the pure bandwidth of the PS5's SSD?

So, do we know for a fact if Sony has an equivalent to Sampler Feedback Streaming exposed in the PS5? Or are they perhaps just relying on the pure bandwidth of the PS5's SSD?
We have not seen any proper developer presentations on Ps5.
Perhaps we will know within couple of years.

virtual texturing is not new we even have virtual geometry system with Unreal Engine 5 and it helps reduce the number of asset to load from the SSD with only visible part of the mips of a texture or only visible geometry.

Even without sfs there exists better than brute force solutions. For example split geometry to meshlets. Only fetch textures for visible meshlets. Also fetch the right mip level(s) based on the size of the meshlet in screen pixels. Another way is to just do math to figure out what is needed same as many other streaming games have already done in past. Or third way to consider this is to look at ratchet&clank and consider what it's doing. Basically it's unloading things behind player to save ram. Sounds like the streaming works pretty good on ps5? Another example of succesfull streaming on ps5 is spiderman miles morales. Spiderman is super streaming heavy also on ps4.

“We unload the things literally behind you from a camera perspective. If you spun the camera around, we could load them before you see that. That lets us devote all of our system memory to the stuff in front of you right now, that you need to experience in that moment.”

But by switching over the Ratchet world to use that same streaming architecture, we can pack more and more density and content and quality in every corner of a Ratchet and Clank world, because we’re happy to ditch the west side of Nefarious City when you go to the east side, and that type of thing.”

The PS5’s solid state drive also allows for some very impressive things, like unloading objects from behind the player’s camera perspective. “With the SSD, it’s easy to say there are no load times, and look how fast we can load this other area, but it has all sorts of knock-on effects. We don’t need to be as careful with how we package our data. All of the assets for an area don’t need to be collated on the spinning hard drive to get the right streaming speed out of it. It makes the game smaller on your hard drive; it means we can patch it more easily. That’s a nice bonus.

https://gamingbolt.com/ratchet-and-...content-and-quality-in-every-corner-insomniac

edit. Or you could look at ue5. I doubt it uses SFS but it's still fully streaming to the point that original assets can be used in closeups(dynamic lod+streaming)

Last edited:
it means we can patch it more easily.
I keep seeing this but I must say, so far I haven't seen any differences on PS5, from my experience on PS4/Pro. If anything, Returnal was worryingly slow to update once the download was done.

I keep seeing this but I must say, so far I haven't seen any differences on PS5, from my experience on PS4/Pro. If anything, Returnal was worryingly slow to update once the download was done.

So they still have a second day step and it doesn't patch while downloading? I thought there was talks about Sony finally figuring out how to do it in single step.

So they still have a second day step and it doesn't patch while downloading? I thought there was talks about Sony finally figuring out how to do it in single step.
Nope. Right now it's basically the same as on PS4 - download, close game, install. Also worth noting, automatic updates don't seem to work on rest mode, for me anyway.
On Returnal, the patch downloaded, and then the actual update of the game took minutes, which I found very strange as usually it's very very fast.

Back