Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I keep seeing this but I must say, so far I haven't seen any differences on PS5, from my experience on PS4/Pro. If anything, Returnal was worryingly slow to update once the download was done.

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that doesn't need to happen on PS5, is compared to PS4 the console no longer had to ensure that the new patched version of the game occupies mostly contiguous blocks on the disk.

Everything else to do with patching is largely the same. I.e. you still need to download the patch (which is often a bunch of diff files), a new version of the files (reading old, amending and writing new ones with diffs) still need creating and old files still need deleted.

What PS5 no longer cares about is making sure new patched files are made up of contiguous blocks on the drive. On PS4, particularly once your drive got above 80% full, PS4 would often not only have to create a new contiguous blocks for new patched files but to make a free contiguous space large enough it would have to move other games around the drive and that's what sometimes took a long time.

Was watching a heap of console repair videos and one of the repairers said that alot of PS5s are coming in with damaged HDMI outputs on them. Apparently the way it is designed makes it a bit easier to damage them if you push in the cable too hard.
This was a huge problem on PS4. The launch systems had HDMI ports that didn't have anything stopping the contacts from being pushed back inside the system.

This was a huge problem on PS4. The launch systems had HDMI ports that didn't have anything stopping the contacts from being pushed back inside the system.

Also a problem with PS4 pro launch version. Where the temperature could be waaaaaay too hot, thus after some cycle, the solder on the hdmi port starts to get hairline cracks.

This is probably OT but a friend of mine who lives in England can't seem to get a PS5 and yeah I know it's sold out and all that but isn't there a place he can Pre order it? Preferably a physical shop.

How did you guys that live over there get yours?

This is probably OT but a friend of mine who lives in England can't seem to get a PS5 and yeah I know it's sold out and all that but isn't there a place he can Pre order it? Preferably a physical shop.

How did you guys that live over there get yours?
I pre-ordered at midnight on the day pre-orders opened - when Sony messed it up but I guess it worked out cause and got two *shrug*

Game in Westfield. Apparently there is an Amazon UK restock happening today.
His been trying to get online but the websites get so overwhelmed and buggy when they have restocks and it stresses him out. So I told him just to pre-order it from a physical store but he says they don't do pre-orders over there and that didn't sound right to me so I just wanted to find out if there was a store he could pre-order it from so he can relax and wait for whenever they get a restock.

I recommend the line up method if they still allow that. Fighting for online queue is a terrible lottery. As least lining up I know I have a decent chance to get it, at the expense of just waiting around.

Here in Norway, they decided that physical pre-orders or getting in line was not ok due to corona. So everything is online, but since the supply is so limited, the shops maxed this out. By forcing you to sign up for a lottery (its free, only some personal info needed....) and they draw, the winners get to buy the devices.
It supposedly also reduces the chances of scalpers getting a bunch of them.

I didn't order PS5 yet, I'm still hoping for PS5 model with bigger internal SSD, we don't know anything specific about m.2 expansion and I don't want external drive hanging from USB as cold storage for PS5 games.

I didn't order PS5 yet, I'm still hoping for PS5 model with bigger internal SSD, we don't know anything specific about m.2 expansion and I don't want external drive hanging from USB as cold storage for PS5 games.
They did say 'summer', but in Sony terms that could mean 'winter, 2023' so I would't hold my breath too long. But for sure, the M2 expansion will be available way before they even think of putting out a PS5 with larger built in storage.

nice DIY PS5 case

It’s like an inverse Atari VCS. ;). Seriously, the rounded edge detail looks incredible. The advertised PS5 replacement plates and matte wrap (great idea) combo at the end looks surprisingly good, too.

It’s like an inverse Atari VCS. ;). Seriously, the rounded edge detail looks incredible. The advertised PS5 replacement plates and matte wrap (great idea) combo at the end looks surprisingly good, too.
looks great , just feel they missed out on easily removable filters for the fan. I could actually see a case like this selling however.

Back