Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-state-of-play-presentation-screenshots

Some shots in there. Really dislike the peripheral chromatic a. The early 7 min/extended gameplay trailer looked cleaner. I'm confident we'll be able to disable it since they're touting lots of visual options.

Some pointed out that the game's geometry is really good, less of the current gen "circles" that have more obvious flat corners. Flat looking edges are less.
Yes the game has options to enable / disable pratically all post effects including CA.

jfPqnOu.png

Which comes first, a VRS or 8k ad?

The RT ad is so strangely unimpressive, and it’s one of the few features (SSD) that can be appreciated without a specialized screen (HDR, VRS, 8k, 120Hz). Just morph a non-RT’ed scene into a RT’ed one! And don’t pack a 20s ad with 10s of filler!

Which comes first, a VRS or 8k ad?

The RT ad is so strangely unimpressive, and it’s one of the few features (SSD) that can be appreciated without a specialized screen (HDR, VRS, 8k, 120Hz). Just morph a non-RT’ed scene into a RT’ed one! And don’t pack a 20s ad with 10s of filler!
You mean VRR? I know right there are so many abbreviations this gen.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...l-enter-production-in-2022-new-report-claims/

PS5 Slim. It's happening, folks.

...but it might be happening a year earlier than personally thought!

Nothing in that report designates it will be slimmer or smaller. It does say a 6nm SOC.

As noted by Kantan Games analyst Dr. Serkan Toto, DigiTimes’ supply chain sources say the redesigned PS5 will come with a “new semi-customized” 6nm CPU from AMD.

Asked specifically about the shortage of semiconductors, which is affecting all consumer electronics industries from smart phones to automobiles, Totoki suggested Sony had means with which it could cope.

“For example, we could find maybe a secondary resource, or by changing the design we could cope,” the exec said.

Nothing in that report designates it will be slimmer or smaller. It does say a 6nm SOC.

That's a good point; personal speculation on that part. If skimming down on the size is a possibility though, they will take it since that means less plastic, meaning less costs on that end. Every penny saved counts.

Sounds like a lower-end SKU?

Not necessarily. Sony seem like they'll have trouble with supply meeting demand until at least March 2022. That's going to impact software sell rates and, therefore, revenue and net profits.

Depending on how much those are suppressed (dunno if they will scale back on regular PS4 production to shift that budget towards amping up PS5 production supply?), they prob don't want to cut into revenue & profit growth by chopping the MSRP down which could incur bigger losses.

But it really all depends on what their pricing for components, contracts for wafer production and components (and what room they can have in changing parts of those contracts) etc. are. Things we just aren't privy to knowing.

It definitly looks like a soc for slim version

Is that clock speed speculation in relation to CPU or GPU?

EDIT: Oh wait, he's basing this off the other guy assuming this node switch is GPU-related :S. I think the report specifically mentions the CPU, which is currently 5nm.

It'd be neat if the GPU is bumped up to N6 but the Taiwanese source didn't say anything about GPU-related changes :/

That's a good point; personal speculation on that part. If skimming down on the size is a possibility though, they will take it since that means less plastic, meaning less costs on that end. Every penny saved counts.

Not necessarily. Sony seem like they'll have trouble with supply meeting demand until at least March 2022. That's going to impact software sell rates and, therefore, revenue and net profits.

Depending on how much those are suppressed (dunno if they will scale back on regular PS4 production to shift that budget towards amping up PS5 production supply?), they prob don't want to cut into revenue & profit growth by chopping the MSRP down which could incur bigger losses.

But it really all depends on what their pricing for components, contracts for wafer production and components (and what room they can have in changing parts of those contracts) etc. are. Things we just aren't privy to knowing.

Is that clock speed speculation in relation to CPU or GPU?
no idea but wouldn't look for clock speed as it will be same but for power consumption and area reduction

6nm with a focus on just chip size reduction should increase the amount of chips per wafer. I have a feeling this will be used purely to supply more chips. maybe they will be able to shrink the console a bit ?

This is what makes sense to me. I highly doing well hey a slim version any time soon. But a normal sized version would always be welcome. Keep the price the same if demand is there and pocket the savings.

This is what makes sense to me. I highly doing well hey a slim version any time soon. But a normal sized version would always be welcome. Keep the price the same if demand is there and pocket the savings.

5nm and a reduction in the nand process and the nand controller process could do the trick also. That takes a bit of board space from what I can tell

I don't think 6nm will reduce the power requirements and physical lay out much at all to get a shrink from the console. But who knows

If they do move to 6nm for the standard PS5 model, would this have implications for its use of Smartshift? 6nm will use a bit less power, so do they have to adjust the power limit to keep clock performance largely identical with the 7nm original?

If they do move to 6nm for the standard PS5 model, would this have implications for its use of Smartshift? 6nm will use a bit less power, so do they have to adjust the power limit to keep clock performance largely identical with the 7nm original?
Sony indicated that the PS5's dynamic clocks would be consistent and deterministic. Keeping the on-chip model the same as the 7nm hardware would likely allow that to happen with limited additional work. The power and clock management heuristics would be based on the profile of a 7nm chip, and that would decide the behavior.

Paraphrasing @3dilettante in a slightly different way: the current PS5 "limits" (dynamic clocks and smartshift) are 100% based on number of instructions, not power consumption. A different node won't change that max number of instructions.

Back