Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

If scalpers can't move what they have on hand, eventually supply will normalize and your stock will be worth what you paid for it, and not more. Scalpers, even if there is some organized syndicate of them, are trying to move what they have as soon as possible before there isn't a supply that matches demand in the normal retail channel.

2. goonergaz

Veteran

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out there's no hurry - this is like any other product, and yes...there's a gamble - but the worst case is you'll get your money back, so you just try to maximise profits until you no longer can and have to start lowering the price (which isn't happening any time soon).

Edit - I would add that if/when stock does normalise it will still demand a premium at Christmas when shortages will be guaranteed.

#8142 goonergaz, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  3. see colon

Veteran

I guess we can agree to disagree, although I would like to point out that there are plenty on Ebay right now for about $800 when the average selling price a few months ago was 1200. So the price is coming down. And if you have stock that has lost a third of its value in a few months (or more importantly, you make less than half what you make in profit now), it's time to start selling while you can still make hundreds over retail.

4. Vega86

Newcomer

It has steadily come down. I've been occasionally looking at a website that sells them since release. From 900 to 800 to 770 now to 750 over the past 2 months.

goonergaz likes this.
  5. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Having a stock costs money, if you are doing it as a business. If you are just a guy that got lucky and got a couple then it does not matter. But from what I understood, these where professional scalpers. Which means they have cash tied up in the stock and that is money you can use to earn more money.
    So keeping stock, is a silly gamble.

6. goonergaz

Veteran

I agree to disagree. Obviously there are different levels of profit, but profit is profit - it’s easy money...they are making significantly more than shops will on the same stock and if all of a sudden the price drops you can break even...but the smart person will just hold stock for the next shortage.

It’s without a shadow of any doubt in my mind the best investment you can make right now.

These are not shops, this is simply a case of using their buying power to make substantially more than any other investment will return.

This is a scenario they can’t lose unless there was a dramatic law change, but even then they already have the stock and will never lose money- just make less profit.

This is no different to what we used to do in the shops I worked in except the rewards are much bigger.

Id like anyone to suggest a better investment today than £5k of PS5 stock, please suggest it or pm me if you want to keep it a secret because I’m in! Lol

7. see colon

Veteran

Well, never say never.

PSman1700, manux and BRiT like this.
  8. goonergaz

Veteran

??

Not sure what this has to do with selling on eBay...I mean this can happen to anyone selling anything if you’re stupid enough to arrange a meet-up with a complete stranger over an expensive sale in cash.

9. chris1515

Legend Regular

Better comparison between Zen 2 Desktop FPU and PS5 FPU

thicc_gaf, PSman1700, Nesh and 2 others like this.
  10. chris1515

Legend Regular

PSVR 2 is official

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/

DSoup, thicc_gaf, iceberg187 and 2 others like this.
  11. Reynaldo

Newcomer

Gran Turismo delayed to 2022. Bet that Horizon and GOW Ragnarok delays will follow soon. https://t.co/sacEaqOU70?amp=1

“GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022. With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”

Pete, thicc_gaf and PSman1700 like this.
  12. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

terrible news for me :| edit: but seems like great combo for 2022 psvr2 + gt7

#8153 snc, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  13. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Never expected full zen2 CPU in there, neither zen3 features. It is what it is. VR might not be exciting enough for me for the 10th generation graphics wise.

So far, the 10th generation is the most underwhelming so far. Cross-gen, hardware, and availability, covid, and lack of any true next gen games feul that.

PS5 drift investigation suggests DualSense sticks ‘have a life of 417 hours’ | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

A backup controller could be good to have. Seems its the resistance motors going for more wear over a more traditional controller.

Nesh and thicc_gaf like this.
  14. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

15. iceberg187

Regular

Damn, these impact the business side a lot. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft will push back next gen plans by a year or so because of this.

16. chris1515

Legend Regular

If another game is delay to 2022, it will be God of War Ragnarok.

thicc_gaf likes this.
  17. thicc_gaf

Regular Newcomer

I'm already surprised GT7's been delayed, and have expected Ragnarok wouldn't make it in 2021, but if Horizon gets delayed too, that's gonna hit hard for a lot of folks. Looks like both Microsoft and Sony will be light on 1P content this year, as it's basically Returnal and Rift Apart for Sony, and Halo Infinite for Microsoft. Maybe Forza Horizon 5 but that's a big stretch right now despite what supposed insiders have said.

With the system shortages, this might almost feel like a "lost year" for PS5 and Series X|S, like the generation won't feel like it's truly begun for the masses until 2022. I had though maybe one of the two would push for a 2026 launch for their 10th-gen system but that's out the window now, 2027 at the earliest. They need that time to maximize the install base in ecosystem for revenue and profits and wouldn't want to cut that short with bringing out new consoles too early.

TBF I never believed it was going to come this year given initial reveal was simply a logo.

Practically guaranteed at this point. 2027 at earliest. Probably shouldn't expect any mid-gen refreshes (not even Pro/One-X style, can include something like smaller, more power-efficient models) until 2024...though I guess there's a case to be made in pushing that for 2023 if they're smaller/cooler replacements to match any pent-up demand when systems are becoming regularly available, while curbing down production costs.

I think this is technically the 9th generation :p . 10th-gen should be when PS6 and Series Next (or whatever they call it) launch. I kind of agree that it seems like current gen's started on a more muted note, but to that I give Sony some credit for getting games like Demon Soul's Remastered and Miles Morales ready for the initial launch phase.

Scalpers and COVID have really put a damper on some of the initial excitement for both companies, though. Maybe they should take Carmack up on his suggestion ;)

#8158 thicc_gaf, Feb 23, 2021
    PSman1700 likes this.
  18. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I'm surprised you're surprised! When have Polyphony ever delivered anything on a reasonable timeline?

DSoup, thicc_gaf, Kugai Calo and 3 others like this.
  19. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

gt2 was 2 years after gt1, gt3 was 2 years after gt2, gt4 was 3 years after gt3, gt6 was 3 years after gt5, gt sport was 4 years after gt6 ;)

#8160 snc, Feb 23, 2021