Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Hey didn't do it for the clicks but for the watch time statistics and multiple ads breaks, probably.

Me on the other hand only make short videos and only have ads on the beginning of a video, very little money for me.
Well that's nice. I don't see any ads because I use Enhancer for Youtube in my browsers.

There are a variety of methods to mitigate yield issues on silicon. Even if the SoC itself is the limiting factor for construction of the console (which it likely isn't).

Yield issues for Sony would only reflect in an increase of price at the most. Not a limit of supplies.
How would you mitigate yield issues if TSMC is using up all other 7nm waffers with other clients?
Especially at the scale required for these consoles.

To be precise, though (since this already has the potential to turn into a rabbit hole): I don't think SeriesX's yields are terrible. I think the rumors spread by the TSMC leaker (regarding low amounts of PS5 SoCs being produced) and by Business Insider are wrong.
SeriesX SoC having terrible yields was just the low-probability option I gave, in my previous post.

How would you mitigate yield issues if TSMC is using up all other 7nm waffers with other clients?
Especially at the scale required for these consoles.

To be precise, though (since this already has the potential to turn into a rabbit hole): I don't think SeriesX's yields are terrible. I think the rumors spread by the TSMC leaker (regarding low amounts of PS5 SoCs being produced) and by Business Insider are wrong.
SeriesX SoC having terrible yields was just the low-probability option I gave, in my previous post.
If SoCs are the bottleneck, you can print way more chips. It is unlikely yields are so poor that the chip costs are doubled. Perhaps a little higher priced per wafer than they wanted, but not enough to really put a constraint on how many SoCs can be produced overall. Low yield can also mean a lot of different things to different people. Low yield for a consumer device is still going to be significantly higher yield than a 6800 or a 3080 for instance, you're still going to come out with way more chips per wafer.

The other method is to start manufacturing things earlier with a greater lead time. The only thing yield and heat affects on PS5, is probably just the cost to the consumer. I think as things get better, Sony will have cost savings to play around a bit with, perhaps increase storage, or decrease the cost around cooling.

The ability to deliver as many consoles as possible is going to rely on more than the SoCs, assembly of all of those parts coming together is going to require a lot as well. Sony needed to fulfill a massive demand 2:1 over xbox, and so they can procure the factory lines to support something that large. I don't think Xbox has that much draw, they would have had to been more conservative on how many they can produce. Everything needs to be JIT or you run into warehousing issues.

If SoCs are the bottleneck, you can print way more chips.

This doesn't address my initial question. How are you going to print "way more chips" if all the 7nm waffers are allocated at TSMC?

We're talking about sales that already happened within the past 2 to 3 weeks. Assuming they all sold all their consoles so far (though certainly not in Iberian Peninsula because we have plenty of SeriesXs on the shelves everywhere), this means Sony had to have 2x more PS5 consoles to sell than Microsoft had of SeriesX. All while according to the TSMC leaker Sony started to produce their SoCs very late and at a lower volume than the SeriesX's.

I.e. the sales information we're getting does not match those reports.

The ability to deliver as many consoles as possible is going to rely on more than the SoCs, assembly of all of those parts coming together is going to require a lot as well. Sony needed to fulfill a massive demand 2:1 over xbox, and so they can procure the factory lines to support something that large. I don't think Xbox has that much draw, they would have had to been more conservative on how many they can produce. Everything needs to be JIT or you run into warehousing issues.
So you're suggesting Microsoft could be producing more SeriesX SoCs than Sony is producing PS5 SoCs, while producing about half the number of consoles of the later?
This doesn't make much sense on a logistics PoV.

This doesn't address my initial question. How are you going to print "way more chips" if all the 7nm waffers are allocated at TSMC?

We're talking about sales that already happened within the past 2 to 3 weeks. Assuming they all sold all their consoles so far (though certainly not in Iberian Peninsula because we have plenty of SeriesXs on the shelves everywhere), this means Sony had to have 2x more PS5 consoles to sell than Microsoft had of SeriesX. All while according to the TSMC leaker Sony started to produce their SoCs very late and at a lower volume than the SeriesX's.

So you're suggesting Microsoft could be producing more SeriesX SoCs than Sony is producing PS5 SoCs, while producing about half the number of consoles of the later?

Or MS aren't being entirely transparent when they talk about sales figures; maybe they're doing the sold through to retailers as being sold, whilst Sony are doing sold to customers and not shelves. Since the sales figures coming vary from 2:1 to 6:1 in Sony's favour then either MS didn't get many consoles made or they are doing the sales trick to make the numbers look better. In my local gaming club there is a grand total of 1 XSX. Out of ~200 people.

hmm, I only recall yield reports. I don't ever recall Sony building retail consoles late, or Sony producing less volume than Series X. Those are new claims to me, I only recall yield being worse. That or I'm having bad memory. For what it's worth, my MFR date is Sept 4-2020 for my Series X and I was first wave for pre-orders. I'm not sure if US gets their batches, but I got mine day 1. I can't find my MFR date on my PS5. It's not printed on mine (text by the vertical stand screw). But I'm reading MFR dates as early as June. XSX from what I can see are reporting the earliest around late July.

I will need to look around for my PS5 MFR date, underneath the fins?, but I was second wave for that one. So likely nothing that would help here.

As for your second point, I don't suggest it. But if we assume somehow that managed to be true, through dumb luck that it turns out MS is pumping way more SoCs than consoles, that wouldn't be impossible necessarily. They are gearing up their azure data centres for scarlett chips for both compute and cloud gaming for next year.

Last edited:
I got my PS5 today, cancelled the series X because of its preliminary performance.
I only played Astro and Defending Jacob (Apple TV+).
I love the system but it is not that special yet. The controller is great trust me, but the graphics of PS4 were already very good looking at TLOU2 and Death Stranding or God of War. I believe PS5 will produce graphical benchmarks for the entire generation (Like PS4 did), but I don’t think in a few months.

anyway I cannot hear the system unless I put my ear next to it

I got my PS5 today, cancelled the series X because of its preliminary performance.
I love the system but it is not that special yet. The controller is great trust me, but the graphics of PS4 were already very good looking at TLOU2 and Death Stranding or God of War. I believe PS5 will produce graphical benchmarks for the entire generation (Like PS4 did), but I don’t think in a few months.

Get Demon's Souls ;)

Get Demon's Souls ;)
I will at some point!
Btw I put another hour in Astro and it is so amazing. The 'uncharted' section made me really nostalgic, I remember the lighting when you climb to the submarine in the first game (around the waterfalls) and it had a similar yellow hue, which amazed me back in 2007. Most games had a yellow filter, not actually yellow lighting if that makes any sense :p

Have some patience :)

Back