Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Well if it’s dumb I don’t want to be clever. Enjoy fully understanding what you’re missing out on!

I can’t believe that many people would chose a console each gen based off specs/info when essentially you have 2 competent consoles - I just can’t believe anything that comes out would be big enough to change anyone’s mind...I mean, that’s a really fickle response no?

I mean if there were system sellers on launch day I might say fuck it....but there isn't. You are basically upgrading a PC when buying the new consoles at this point. What's an extra month out an entire ~7 year generation....

I mean if there were system sellers on launch day I might say fuck it....but there isn't. You are basically upgrading a PC when buying the new consoles at this point. What's an extra month out an entire ~7 year generation....

There is a system seller within the first month then? Because if not, why not wait until then?
People that buy pre-order or launch day, most likely have other motivations, than crappy External HDD support etc, they just want the latest shiny thingy. I am in that category, I am going to play Dirt 5, Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 on the best system I can, as quick as I can.
Also I personally have in the last generations found that I like the PS exclusives better than the XB exclusive. Which is a matter of taste really. Last gen, I can not think of any game on XB that I really wanted to play and I assume there are people with the exact opposite feeling.

So I think it's a bit harsh to say anybody is dumb, just because they do not use the same evaluation criteria.

There is a system seller within the first month then? Because if not, why not wait until then?
People that buy pre-order or launch day, most likely have other motivations, than crappy External HDD support etc, they just want the latest shiny thingy. I am in that category, I am going to play Dirt 5, Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 on the best system I can, as quick as I can.
Also I personally have in the last generations found that I like the PS exclusives better than the XB exclusive. Which is a matter of taste really. Last gen, I can not think of any game on XB that I really wanted to play and I assume there are people with the exact opposite feeling.

So I think it's a bit harsh to say anybody is dumb, just because they do not use the same evaluation criteria.

No doubt. The SSD's are worth it alone. My argument isn't don't buy them at all. I'm just saying you'll have a more complete picture of info and impressions a month after launch...not exactly a controversial statement...

There's 0 MB of L3 on A100 cards. That 40 MB is L2.
Infinity Cache being L3 is a new cache level on (discrete) GPUs
thanks,
are GPUs typically starting at L0 and CPUs at L1?
Or has there always been L0 for CPUs as well?

Yeah that could be. And I have taken this into account.
However, in several shots the Apu looks considerably longer than higher and the GDDR6 modules and their connections to the chip are placed (parallel to the longer side) so that the GDDR controllers are probably located on the longer side.
And here is another view (unfortunately I can't give any sources with links, I'm still a virgin here :LOL:) below as well. (but I have not checked this, shouldn't be that difficult).

I'm pretty sure that the layout is roughly as I have approximated it.View attachment 4870
These two are not taken at same angle, its very hard to get correct aspect and proportions when angled (I know people got anywhere from 350 to 400mm² for Series X GPU which was also taken from an angle).

In any case, I dont think they are going with your proposed layout. You can watch video yourself and flip the SOC part clockwise and chip suddenly looks much less narrow. I assume they will go for similar arrangement as 40CU Navi 10 with added Zen 2 cluster (so 22x14mm).

Like I said....pre-ordering the consoles is kind of dumb....you'll have a much more complete picture of these consoles a few weeks after launch...
Wait for a few weeks after launch and you're not getting a PS5 until February, at least not in my country.
IMO the beginning of a generation is usually the best time to purchase a console, hardware-wise. The first consoles in a generation are always the most subsidized by their makers and they tend to stay on the edge for longer. The $500 of a PS5 in late 2021 will compare a lot worse to PC equivalents than they do now, and this only gets worse as time goes by.

As for knowing what to expect, I already have a pretty large backlog of PS4 games that I want to play on the PS5 thanks to increased dynamic resolution and/or higher framerates, and this backlog is bound to increase thanks to Plus Collection.

I hate pre-orders as much as the next guy, but there are very few ways how this hardware launch could go sideways, save from a RROD situation that Sony would contractually have to solve anyway.
Plus, I've been holding on upgrading my PC rig for ages, effectively waiting for a worthwhile upgrade to my 10-core Ivy Bridge Xeon E5 + Vega 64. That should happen now with Zen3 + RDNA2, but with the PS5 in my hands I'll hold on to my current rig for a bit more until prices stabilize.

thanks,
are GPUs typically starting at L0 and CPUs at L1?
Or has there always been L0 for CPUs as well?

For GPUs, I think AMD just switched around their cache nomenclature so L1$ became L0$, L2$ became L1$, and and L3$ became L2$. Don't know why they did that because apparently it was something they did for RDNA 2. Another user, 3dilettante, mentioned it in a reply a bit back.

New gameplay from Observer

Note: early build without RT, which will be added at launch, reports IGN.

Really liking the smaller games getting some attention leading up to the launch of these systems. This kind of vaguely gives me vibes of the Kowloon's Gate remake they released on PS4, but I don't think that ever left Japan?

Always wanted to try that, and the PS1 original version. Neither have translations though.

Back