Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Has any previews of the PS5 shown or talked about playing PS4 games off an external USB drive? Or do we have to wait until Friday for those details?

Some people here are becoming extremely angry and offended that other forum users are speculating about a couple dozen megabytes of cache, in a forum that is mostly dedicated to hardware discussion and speculation.

To those users I'd recommend just not participating in the conversation. You shouldn't feel offended by the discussion over what's on 30mm^2 of die area in the SoC of a gaming console.. Perhaps find better things to feel offended about, like world hunger and climate change.
Or pinneaple on pizza, jesus fuck who the hell becomes a monster that eats something like that?
I got to say the entire discussion has been pretty level headed and completely missing "angry" part you are describing.

I got to say the entire discussion has been pretty level headed and completely missing "angry" part you are describing.

He's referring to this:

In reality its fanboy circle jerk logic that doesn't add up to anything. People want to believe there is super secret shit hidden in commodity hardware, e.g. dual gpus and the like so they can piss on one another. I could sort of understand it in the age of one-off chips created specifically for gaming consoles but now in the age off the shelf, its down right strange.

Definitely comes across as angry and offended. Most of the discussion has been very civil though.

Yes and very incorrect. Most of these chips haven’t exactly been off the shelf. They are still customs developed together with AMD.

Any discussion should start with looking at transcripts of Cerny’s presentation. The use an external USB drive for PlayStation 4 games question is answered there already as well.

But he also clearly says that they have worked with AMD closely, and some of that worked resulted in Playstation specific features, for which he uses the cache scrubbers as an example.

And other features you will see as new features in AMD cards that are released around the time of the PS5 release, Mark says himself. He’s pretty clear in calling the GPU a custom RDNA2 based GPU. He also suggests the Geometry Engine is an enhanced one with input from Sony I think.

He also mentions there the intersect engines for raytracing can also be used for audio occlusion and reverb, and nice global illumination, I had forgotten about that.

A lot of points we discuss already passed in this and it’s nice to see it written, works better for me.

Any discussion should start with looking at transcripts of Cerny’s presentation. The use an external USB drive for PlayStation 4 games question is answered there already as well.

We know it is, but we don't know about the boot times from external USB. How does external USB HDD compare to internal NVME? How does external USB SSD compare to internal NVME? How does external USB NVME via adapter compare to internal NVME? That's what we're looking for. Information beyond the brief utterances in that video months ago. Hence the discussion we're trying to have.

We know it is, but we don't know about the boot times from external USB. That's what we're looking for. Information beyond the brief utterances in that video months ago. Hence the discussion we're trying to have.

Imagine DF will have a video once any embargo for that stuff lifts...

Imagine DF will have a video once any embargo for that stuff lifts...

We all hope so, but we know everyone will be pressed for time, especially DF with all the material they have to cover. It can't release soon enough. Anyone holding off their purchasing decisions (external HDD or SSD or USB NVME adapter) or internal secondary NVME until that information is available may not be getting those items until after their console arrives.

I only know what AMD said, it makes memory effective bandwidth wider avoiding travels to GDDR6 memory, making CUs keeping busier and getting so a better perf/watt.
I guess my other rebuttal, having slept on it: Is that all cache is meant to perform this role.
Like typically, L1 is the fastest and local and private to the processor it supports
L2 is slower but larger and less local
L3 is the slowest and most global (all processing units share this memory)

so looking at RDNA
we have
L0 (CU) fastest
L1 (Shader Array) slower
L2 (All Shader engines) slowest
and now we are adding infinity cache. ?

I have seen many people try to call Infinity Cache as L3, but I don't think that's accurate they would have just called it L3.

We all hope so, but we know everyone will be pressed for time, especially DF with all the material they have to cover. It can't release soon enough. Anyone holding off their purchasing decisions (external HDD or SSD or USB NVME adapter) or internal secondary NVME until that information is available may not be getting those items until after their console arrives.

Like I said....pre-ordering the consoles is kind of dumb....you'll have a much more complete picture of these consoles a few weeks after launch...

Like I said....pre-ordering the consoles is kind of dumb....you'll have a much more complete picture of these consoles a few weeks after launch...

Absolutely, but then there's FOMO (fear of missing out), and if demand exceeds supply then you may not get one until 3 to 6 months later. Just imagine all the time you'd be wasting on last-gen consoles waiting for games to boot! :cool:

I guess my other rebuttal, having slept on it: Is that all cache is meant to perform this role.
Like typically, L1 is the fastest and local and private to the processor it supports
L2 is slower but larger and less local
L3 is the slowest and most global (all processing units share this memory)

so looking at RDNA
we have
L0 (CU) fastest
L1 (Shader Array) slower
L2 (All Shader engines) slowest
and now we are adding infinity cache. ?

I have seen many people try to call Infinity Cache as L3, but I don't think that's accurate they would have just called it L3.
Are we sure L2 is still there?

Are we sure L2 is still there?
I think it has to be.
Generally speaking the higher level the cache you go, the slower it becomes but also becomes more dense.
L1 operates at 100%, L2 is 50% of the L1, and L3 is 50% of L2 or something like that.
But L3 could be massive compared to L1 in terms of storage, but in terms of silicon die space, they would be equivalent.

The fact that the IC is 1.54x the L3 tells me it's even slower than Zen 2 L3 cache, it just has to be. This would fall in line with our understanding of cache.

if IC is much slower than Zen 2 L3, you're going to be waiting a long time to retrieve results of IC. Still faster than memory of course, but you're going to be waiting significantly longer.
I think L2 needs to stay as direct memory controller stuff.

I don't know what IC does yet, or if it has a particular role, or is a generic scratch pad that just a large buffer for L2 to check before going to main memory.

I think it has to be.
Generally speaking the higher level the cache you go, the slower it becomes but also becomes more dense.
L1 operates at 100%, L2 is 50% of the L1, and L3 is 50% of L2 or something like that.
But L3 could be massive compared to L1 in terms of storage, but in terms of silicon die space, they would be equivalent.

The fact that the IC is 1.54x the L3 tells me it's even slower than Zen 2 L3 cache, it just has to be. This would fall in line with our understanding of cache.

if IC is much slower than Zen 2 L3, you're going to be waiting a long time to retrieve results of IC. Still faster than memory of course, but you're going to be waiting significantly longer.
I think L2 needs to stay as direct memory controller stuff.

I don't know what IC does yet, or if it has a particular role, or is a generic scratch pad that just a large buffer for L2 to check before going to main memory.
Well then if Infinity cache is above L2 (and all L2 can access the whole thing), then it should be called L3 cache.

Well if it’s dumb I don’t want to be clever. Enjoy fully understanding what you’re missing out on!

I can’t believe that many people would chose a console each gen based off specs/info when essentially you have 2 competent consoles - I just can’t believe anything that comes out would be big enough to change anyone’s mind...I mean, that’s a really fickle response no?

Back