Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Still confused about the BC. Does it have full PS4 compatibility or not? The way Cerny was talking it sounds like there was a fair bit of work done for compatibility yet it sounds like an ongoing process to get games to work? Sort of like 360 compait on Xbox One...

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

No, it doesn't have full BC with PS4/Pro, but they aim for it eventually.

3. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Mine is contrary to his and i am so dissapointed that this gen I surely will embrace Xbox instead. They went so cheap...the more i think about that variable clocks...what an unelegant thing, what an un-Sony thing. Changing blue collars is greatly showing.

Think about the mess:

-back compat defined many design things and doesnt even work 100%.
    -variable clocks, first ever in a console. Worse CPU and worse GPU. Besides it will be hot for sure.
    -3d audio with caveats about not working for everybody. Not clear if really there is real additional hardware or CUs from the GPU needed
    -ray tracing poor
    -bandwidth poor for 60 fps/4K. At least should have added a good custom upscaler, improving the id buffer solution...
    -no VRS nor mess shader
    -primitive shaders from two gens announced as something custom.

#403 Love_In_Rio, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. lefantome

Newcomer

Backward compatibily was a HUGE let down.

I understand the need for the approach they have implemented on PS4 Pro: a quick way to allow backward compatibility with the og PS4 but with PS5 I was expecting a moder robust system like the hardware agnostic one Microsoft has since Xbox One.

The result is that PS4 games need to be tested and maybe they won't even feature better resolutions while Xbox SX games will get all the benefits for free.

In addition to this: why not PS1 and PS2 compatibility? c'mon! PS1 in particular has been emulated for more than 20 years.

goonergaz and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  5. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

But atleast we have full tested bc for the most important/popular games.

6. disco_

Regular Newcomer

Finally able to watch the presentation.
    All ps4 games will be playable. It's the boosted feature, sort of like ps4 boost, that's being tested. I mean the 800mhz and 911mhz BC tests from github make this obvious, right? Starts at 28 minute mark.The wording is weird, I'll say that. He starts "playing ps4 and ps4 titles at boosted frequencies" I assume he means "ps4 and ps4 pro titles"? Ending that whole paragraph with "we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on ps5" makes it sound like it's not 100% BC but looking at the previous statement, it's the ps5 boost that's still not 100% working, as it was with ps4 and its boost.

The compatibility is for running ps4 games at ps5 spec if I understand it correctly. BC modes run it in native ps4/pro with no issues.

goonergaz, Xbat and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  7. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah see this is what I'm not clear about. Is the testing just for boost mode and all PS4 games will work out of the box on legacy modes?.... Or is the testing for all BC period?

disco_ likes this.
  8. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Unless I heard wrong that was regards to boost mode.

London Geezer, disco_ and chris1515 like this.
  9. disco_

Regular Newcomer

As it's 2.4 vs 5.5 raw and 4.8 vs 8-9 compressed, is the 22gb max the same as the 6gb max ms gave? Or is that not apples to apples?

That's my guess. He states playing ps4/pro games at boosted frequencies created issues so I'd assume legacy modes at normal frequencies don't have these problems.

10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

This is from PS Blog:

Seems very clear to me. No question of boost mode here.

milk, Silenti, Kaotik and 2 others like this.
  11. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

Hopefully that's the case. It'll be quite an embarrassment for them otherwise. It won't make much difference to me, as I'll be sharing a flat with a friend, and I'll have either the PS4 or PS5 in my bedroom and the other in the lounge.

The PS4 already has a PS2 emulator in its firmware. And Sony have been emulating the PS1 in software since the bloody PSP. The PS5 really should be emulating both of them.

Hopefully Microsoft will give them a bit of a kicking this time and force them to up their game.

milk and disco_ like this.
  12. chris1515

Legend Regular

Yes the 22GB/s Sony gave is the same than the 6GB/s MS gave.

13. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Do you know what do i want bc for?. for nothing, as seen the two alternatives i will go for the system with better 4K capabilities and that wont allow me to play my PS4 games.

disco_ and PSman1700 like this.
  14. szymku

Regular Newcomer

PS5 can saturate the memory twice as fast. It's kind of important. Also despite the similarities in architecture, both systems are build on diffrent principles. I am equally prepared for PS5 to have the same ballpark performance as competition as well as to be significantly slower because of memory bandwidth. It's too early to tell, it's also too early to spread doom and gloom. We don't know shit about details of PS5 apu design, it's thermal characteristic and overboost method.
    One thing I am certain is that Cerny is competent designer and there shouldn't be aby major mistakes. PS5 is not a turd the kind of Sega Saturn or (power of the cloud)

15. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

sure, with a sustained GPU speed at 2.23GHz they can melt the Earth's core or take all the energy of the sun.

PSman1700 likes this.
  16. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Reading the Resetera thread on BC it sounds like it isn't just boosted....

I feel like this is one area where Sony is behind a few years compared to Micrososft.

17. goonergaz

Veteran

Ok, up to page 20 and will need to take a break until tomorrow. Personally I have a feeling we might see a water cooled PS5.

Learn to read. he said a couple & on the frequency.

Math not your strong point either?

Didn't realise Stadia was RDNA2?

This is a brand new GPU which doesn't need to sustain 2.23, just hit it when required.

Why do you think it's last minute? Cerny explained that 825GB was a special number for the SSD - They knew people would want to and have always allowed users to upgrade to standard HDD/SSD since PS2. Games will not be 200GB next gen, certainly any that are will be minimal due to less repeated assets. Yes, MS solution is more user friendly but it has it's limitations and (I'm failry certain) will be more expensive.

This.

I'd rather believe the horses mouth thanks.

jayco likes this.
  18. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

MS seems to have designed BC into the OS level since Xbox one and have better tech for emulating older consoles. Sony is still trying to do things in hardware. Things will progressively get harder for Sony to support BC if they don't adopt what MS has been doing.

goonergaz, milk, VitaminB6 and 3 others like this.
  19. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

From what I am reading PS5 is not doing the same thing PS4 Pro did (direct hardware mimicing)....and that's why it doesn't have full compatibility...

20. goonergaz

Veteran

X has a bigger CPU advantage, bigger bandwidth advantage and 50% more RAM than pro. The gap X to Pro is much bigger than XSX to PS5.
    Also, PS5 has substantially faster SSD and other advantages over XSX...does Pro have any advantages over X?

It's not that simple, let's wait and see. Also, PS5 will have next gen exclusives built to take full advantage of the hardware with no concern for last gen in design.

Aaron Elfassy, orangpelupa and Arwin like this.