PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge Controllers

I don't need a PS5 controller with all the extras. I need one with a way larger battery because it's a travesty the difference between my elite 2 (or my regular Xbox controller) and the PS5 controller. 6 to 12 hours usually lasts 2 to 3 sessions for me on the PS5 while I get more like 8 to 12 sessions on the elite. I regularly use both consoles so it creates a feeling as if the PS5 controller can't hold a charge.

It's a slight cost, but consider getting a cradle. You can also swap the battery and put in a much higher capacity battery. Sony include a 1,560mAh battery by default. iFixit say replacing the battery takes 15-20mins. Both options are vastly cheaper than buying a new controller with a bigger battery!

Laughable and a shame. I was genuinely willing to go for a £150 controller, but this is insane pricing. And they've no replacement for the back paddles of the DS4. So I'm playing Apex Legends PS4 version on PS5 simply because it offers superior controls.

We can only hope it doesn't sell and the price crashes. Lots of positive comments on the YT vid, but not sure anyone's factoring in the price when they say, "I'm definitely getting one of these!"

Edit: How does this price compare with XBox Elite? I'm seeing a range of prices from £150 to £190. I know there are different revisions but is the RRP that high?

Thats stupidly expensive for a controller. The Elite is also overpriced but not as much.
The core of the elite is RRP $129.99 but the extra kit come at an additional $59.99 so a total of $190.
For comparison you get this:
1666102858809.png

With the DS you get this for $210:

1666103039429.png

Last edited:
Looks like Sony are truly after the 'Elite', pricing encroaching on Scuf territory for the select few. I guess what's needed is a 'Pro' mid tier.

My best perceived value is if you can find a full packaged Xbox Elite V2 on sale for around $130-$140, which happened so often that many assumed that was the new retail price. That would get you everything for around the price of just the "elite core". Currently Microsoft and some other places have the full Xbox Elite V2 listed at $155, so a decent discount.

I wish they sold the charging pad separately, because there are so many inexpensive but solid quality third party "elite accessory" packs out there for the paddles and sticks.

Has anyone found anything definitive on the battery time for this DualSense Edge controller? Did they even improve it over the existing controller?

$200 US / €240 / £210

Seems you have the prices somewhat wrong, from Playstation Blog:
The DualSense Edge wireless controller will be available for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $199.99 USD/¥29,980 (including tax)/€239.99/£209.99. In addition, the replaceable stick modules will be available globally on January 26 for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $19.99 USD/¥2,680 (including tax)/€24.99/£19.99.

Edit: Sorry, it was in Nesh's post, that has $210 🙂

No, I think I read in your post $210, did you edit it just before I quoted 😁

Maybe you spotted Nesh where he used US $ when maybe should have used British Pound?

Anyways, the replaceable stick module, is that price for 1? Or did they somehow price them at a really good price if you have to replace both of them?

Nope. Not trying to gaslight you at all, @rabidrabbit 🍺

For full transparency here is full edit history of the post, which was last edited over 2 hours ago [ Current time 11:48 AM, Posted time at 9:39 AM ]. First posted the video, then added the US price, then added the other region prices:

1666107994094.png

1666108011491.png

1666108033217.png

If it's 2 for $20, then there goes hope they'd be of better, non drifting quality.
I'd think it's the price of a single stick unit, the modules are identical on both sides, or are they?

Do a lot of people buy these more expensive controllers? The only time I've bought controllers that weren't included with the console was: 1) I bought Atari's 'driving' controller for the Atari 2600 to play for Indy 500. I bought the original Dual Analogue controller for PlayStation, and I bought DualShock 3 controllers for PS3 over the original SixAxis when Sony failed to convince me that rumble was yesterday.

These prices are absolutely bonkers.

I bought a couple of Aim controllers, they modify original PS5 controllers to add those buttons on the underside.
But that price is about 100, think they where a bit more pricey when I bought them. But not 200 pricey.

Do a lot of people buy these more expensive controllers? The only time I've bought controllers that weren't included with the console was: 1) I bought Atari's 'driving' controller for the Atari 2600 to play for Indy 500. I buy the original Dual Analogue controller for PlayStation, and I bought DualShock 3 controllers for PS3 over the original SixAxis when Sony failed to convince me that rumble was yesterday.

These prices are absolutely bonkers.

Would be curious about that as well. Anecdotally, I know quite a few people in RL as well as streamers that have the MS Elite or Elite Series 2. And MS at least sold enough that they made the Series 2 and then followed that up with the Series 2 core.

For myself, I wouldn't be caught dead using a normal controller anymore. The inability to remap buttons or alter analog stick height would drive me absolutely bonkers nowadays. The ability to remap buttons means that regardless of what a developer thinks the optimal button layout for their game is (hey let's have the jump and shoot buttons be different in this game than that game! ARRRGGGHHH!), means that my actions are consistently mapped to the buttons I expect them to be on.

Changing the analog stick height means that I'm not complete rubbish when having to drive a car, fly a plane, control a camera, etc. anymore. Going with a longer analog stick means I'm at least less rubbish at it. :D And then going back to a shorter stick that requires quick analog inputs means I'm not stuck with long analog stick movements.

Bottom paddle buttons are nice for games that seemingly require you to sometimes hit multiple buttons + D-Pad + control with analog sticks all simultaneously or in quick succession. I don't have enough hands for that stuff. :p

It's basically something I didn't know that I needed until I got one and used one. And now there's absolutely no way to go back to a standard controller in most games.

Caveat - keep in mind I only use controllers sparingly as I prefer MKB in almost all game genres.

Regards,
SB

I think for intense streamed games, the COD/PUBGs/Fortnite/Apex games, high end controllers like Scuf are selling well enough. I mean, Scuf is a whole business dedicated to just these controllers and they've been going since 2015 at least. Quick Google reveals £21 million turnove for Scuf Gaming Europe in 2019 and there must have been big growth since then. Cheapest Scuf controller for PS5 is £200, going up to £250 for the Reflex FPS. then you have presence of XB Elite controllers.

They are better and give a real advantage. So like £200 football boots, they'll sell to a notable proportion of the populace which, if large enough, will be big numbers.

Potentially though, I can see this being the "XB Elite + extras" as described above at a similar price, sold to the Pioneers and Early Adopters who'll pay 'any price'. Once they've been tapped, I can see a cut down mid-range option with none of the extras being launched.

Back