PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Super Slim power consumption is around 70 watts If I am not mistaken.
Power supply might though not be an exact indication of PS4 power consumption because it might be lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Super Slim power consumption is around 70 watts If I am not mistaken.
Power supply might though not be an exact indication of PS4 power consumption because it might be lower.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 is closer to 100w than 250w ...

AFAIR power supplies are usually most efficient at around 50-70 percent load.

For a 250W supply it would probably be optimal for ~125W+.

But it may simply be that Sony are quite happy with the PS3 power supply - there's nothing obvious in these consoles that needs a new power brick.

So if the PS4 has passed FCC can we say that the final specs (whatever they are) are now locked in? Or does it not work that way (but I assume it does)

So if the PS4 has passed FCC can we say that the final specs (whatever they are) are now locked in? Or does it not work that way (but I assume it does)

They could realistically change anything that doesn't interfere with what the FCC tested but in reality the specs for the PS4 and XBONE have been locked in for quite a while so its a bit of a moot point really.

They could realistically change anything that doesn't interfere with what the FCC tested but in reality the specs for the PS4 and XBONE have been locked in for quite a while so its a bit of a moot point really.

What does that mean?

Dont at least clocks have to be locked down also? Interference? (hence top clock 2.75 ghz)

What does that mean?

Dont at least clocks have to be locked down also? Interference? (hence top clock 2.75 ghz)

It means that the specs where decided a while ago and that realistically they aren't going to be changed majorly overnight. The top clock is for GDDR5 and thats probably the least likely thing to change imo.

Retail PS4 already got FCC certification?

Looks like their hardware is well on schedule to launch a little earlier than November ...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 130W for the whole system.

I've often seen the rule of thumb is 50% as good design starting point for the power supply, it's high efficiency, and has a large margin for capacitor aging. It also reduces the amount of ripple which otherwise would reduce their lifespan even more. Sony seems to be following that rule roughly... Original PS3 had a 380W supply, consumed 200W. Slim was 216W rating for 100W, and the super-slim is 156W rating for 80W consumption.

Mark Cerny said in an interview that the PS4 is smaller than the PS3 at launch because it consumes less power. He also said that, while he haven't seen the box before E3, he knew what dimensions it would be because he knew the wattage. That seems to hint they didn't use any kind of extreme or expensive cooling solutions. It just consumes less. But there's an important difference in that there's only one SoC this time, and only one pool of memory, that reduces the space requirement a lot.

That seems to hint they didn't use any kind of extreme or expensive cooling solutions.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if PS4 uses a heatpipe/fin-stack with a blower fan coupled to it, just like all PS3 versions - I believe - use/d. Phat's cooler was ridiculously overengineered and complicated; slim's was quite similar to modern PC tower coolers. Not sure what superslim has as I've not seen any teardowns of it, but I doubt it's a chunk of solid extruded aluminium...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if PS4 uses a heatpipe/fin-stack with a blower fan coupled to it, just like all PS3 versions - I believe - use/d. Phat's cooler was ridiculously overengineered and complicated; slim's was quite similar to modern PC tower coolers. Not sure what superslim has as I've not seen any teardowns of it, but I doubt it's a chunk of solid extruded aluminium...
I guess it will still be a nice blower design with backward curved blades (much better than the noisy blower we see on GPU cards), maybe a single vapor chamber would be enough since there's only one chip, no need for heat pipes? Or heat pipes still required if the heat sink is very wide?

Superslim teardown:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+3+Super+Slim+Teardown/10670/1super

I think the superslim was designed to save every penny, I kind of hate it, and they really put the least amount of metal possible making it noisier than the slim. They could use a similar design in the PS4 case, but it would allow a huge area of fins extending towards the back, and looking at the backside of the PS4 it probably has a pretty wide heat sink too. The PS4 air intake seem to be the sides, and outlet being the whole back.

Retail PS4 already got FCC certification?

Looks like their hardware is well on schedule to launch a little earlier than November ...

These are not related. PS3 also certed on time, but they were then still hit with Bluray diode supply issues.

So elements like main system heap (containing the main store of game variables), key shader data, and render targets that need to be read by the CPU are allocated to Onion memory, while more GPU-focused elements like vertex and texture data, shader code and the majority of the render targets are kept in the ultra-wide Garlic memory.

This reminds me of the forum post by a Chinese dev months ago.

He mentioned that the 5GB limit excludes system heap. If this is true, it may mean that for a game, Garlic memory may take as much as 5GB, while Onion memory takes the rest. So a game can use more than 5GB in total.

Don't forget to add salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back