PlayStation 3 to Launch in March 2007 in Europe According to Spong

Titanio said:
It gives them a couple more months versus if PS3 launched at Xmas in the territory.

Is christmas as big in EU as it is in USA?

Now that is a disadvantage i hadnt considered. Giving MS a full, fully-stocked, holiday season alone in EU. Theyll have some great games out by then as well. Very interesting.

expletive said:
Is christmas as big in EU as it is in USA?

Now that is a disadvantage i hadnt considered. Giving MS a full, fully-stocked, holiday season alone in EU. Theyll have some great games out by then as well. Very interesting.

True, beyond an absolute number of months it would give them an extra holiday. Christmas is of course big here. But again, that's potential they'd have to realise.

Assuming Spong is right for once, what are the chances of specs uppgrades? Newest HDMI-connector types are pretty much a given if this rumour is true but what about the rest? 65 nm? More memory? Only XDR mem?

MasaC said:
Assuming Spong is right for once, what are the chances of specs uppgrades? Newest HDMI-connector types are pretty much a given if this rumour is true but what about the rest? 65 nm? More memory? Only XDR mem?

The spec gets locked at the earliest launch, not the latest unfortunately ;)

I think MS could have enjoyed gangbuster sales if they'd have had a greater supply this past holiday season. If 5 million units had been available they probably would have all sold (in Europe and North America at least).

The problem with building a product around bleeding edge technology is that if production of one of those technologies is slower than expected, it holds up your entire product. Having little stock on hand and being able to quickly turn around with product when demand increases is a good thing. Not having a nice stockpile of components for a product launch, however, can be disastrous.

Titanio said:
The spec gets locked at the earliest launch, not the latest unfortunately ;)

Well, if it is a first September release for Japan instead of an intended March release there's a good 6 months extra time isn't there?

MasaC said:
Well, if it is a first September release for Japan instead of an intended March release there's a good 6 months extra time isn't there?
This is that 'wishful thinking' thing we've been talking about.

MasaC said:

Yes but the idea is for developers to develop for a 'fixed' platform. There is a period of time before the first launch where things need to be 'locked down' for testing and production. If thye launch in 2 regions they will probably need to ramp up production about 4 months earlier. IIRC, MS started production in August for the November launch.

MasaC said:

Except no-one ever interpreted spring as meaning march, more like may/june.

MasaC said:

Yes, if that's true, but we don't know Sony wasn't initially targetting such a window anyway ;) It's also possible that changes made to the offering wouldn't necessarily relate to the machine's spec in and of itself.

I do think the spec is locked now.

scooby_dooby said:

Last year back in May everyone problay did and maybe Sony too?

I'm thinking a spec upgrade because of the reports that the final devkits were faster than expected.

Titanio said:
Anyway, a March 07 launch would probably give them more time than they expected in Europe, but Sept 06 in the US might give them less time than they expected there, and that's arguably the most contested market.

Didn't Xbox do better in the US than in Europe? A late launch in Europe is exactly what MS need IMO. I think Peter Moore would give up his car for another x-mas. ;)

scooby_dooby said:

offtopic
Well in my book spring is march1-end of may, because that's when winter transforms into summer, June is a warm month, and the days lasts the longest meaning it's already summer...

Last edited by a moderator:
MasaC said:
Last year back in May everyone problay did and maybe Sony too?

I'm thinking a spec upgrade because of the reports that the final devkits were faster than expected.

If they meant march they likely would have said Q1. Spring generally means april/may/june.

It seems pretty clear that PS3 has slipped at least a month behind (judging by final dev kits, and the seeming lack of feb PS event -- although that could still happen! right Joe?), which isn't too bad really. I would hope they would make it by the end of the year in Europe (even if it's in December), but it is looking likely (looking at PSP) that it'll be 07 in Europe... but I think they'll have a rather hearty helping of units at EU launch if that's the case.

Whatever happens, this year and next should be pretty exciting for all gamers (Rev, PS3, X360, DS, PSP, PC).

mckmas8808 said:
Not good news at all. X360 will have 1 year and a half headstart. Sony needs to rethink this.
Presumably, they're not doing it by choice. If they could launch PS3 in Europe before the end of 2006, I think they probably would.

Titanio said:
True, beyond an absolute number of months it would give them an extra holiday. Christmas is of course big here. But again, that's potential they'd have to realise.

I wonder if the PS3 will be heavily supply constrained in JP and NA for holiday 2006 as well?

Giving a second Christmas to MS will ensure a very healthy European userbase for the xbox360 esp. when taking into consideration the huge marketing campaign that MS will have, the highlight of which will be the sponsoring of the 2006 world cup.It also gives MS and Toshiba a chance to introduce a cheap way to play HD movies first in Europe(via the add on).

Of course the ps3 will be very suuccesfull whenever it gets released in Europe but right now the 360 chances are looking better and better in that territory.

Thread Title Edited

Even if it's an unspoken rule, it's good to remember to never post Spong rumors as facts.
Actually it'd be better not to post Spong's stuff at all...
But hey, if you want to discuss their rumors, why not. As long as they're qualified as such. ;)

By the way, in this particular case, it's hardly a rumor, more like a logical deduction of some sort.

Vysez said:
Even if it's an unspoken rule, it's good to remember to never post Spong rumors as facts.
Actually it'd be better not to post Spong's stuff at all...
But hey, if you want to discuss their rumors, why not. As long as they're qualified as such. ;)

By the way, in this particular case, it's hardly a rumor, more like a logical deduction of some sort.

all the rumors are saying the same exact thing from 'different anonymous sources'..

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2270&Itemid=2

I start to believe that ps3 will be out in Q4 2006 in NA and japan and only in spring 2007 in europe, giving a 1,5 years advantage to 360

Cell and RSX are here, Blue Ray and Online Services are taking a lot of time IMO, first of all BR have to be completed in orderder to obtain the right speed and digital security, Online Service must be a pin in the ass to build up in a secure and efficent way

Back