Playstation 3 e3 thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
nAo said:
Tridam said:
[550 MHz * 24 pipes * 4D ;)
Umh..no, cause dot product already work on 4D vectors.
92 dot4 products = 354 Gflop/s ;)

You're right but we're talking about marketing numbers ;)

I can't see another way to match that number with the PS3 GPU.

are those fricken ingame? The picture with the guy being shot and falling looks very nice....and the shot of the Missle Launcher :?: rocks

jvd said:
I think they could mean the RSX can access both CPU and GPU memory ~ 512 MB
How fast can it acess the cpu pool of data though ? IF its to low wont it just be a waste ?

Well FlexIO is ~ 77 GB/s

But I think we're getting conflicting info... :?

On second thought, those KillZone could perhaps be realtime... resolution is exactly 720p... *prays that they're aiming for 60 Hz*

BigGamer X said:
The X360 if anything is more efficient in 3 ways:
2. Edram. (256GB/s bandwidth)
Um dude, x360 has 256GB/s b/w to eDRAM in the same way PS3 sports 2TFLOP numbercrunching performance, or in other words: Not At All.

Actual bandwidth is 64GB/s, which isn't anything to sneeze at either I might add.

I'm sort of split in regards to PS3. The raw hardware specs leave me with a cold feeling of disappointment (the geek in me was expecting monster specs I suppose). Only 256MB main RAM and apparantly no eDRAM for GPU is, well...not exactly top notch, and the non-unified memory layout can make it messy for programmers to balance memory requirements on top of all the other juggling acts of keeping track of a main CPU + 7 SPEs. The "low" clock speed for the cell isn't encouraging the geek in me either. While I didn't expect 4.6GHz, I sure hoped for an even 4, just for the nice round number. :p Oh well, that's the punishment for getting ones' hopes up! *spanks self* :LOL:

Memory problems could perhaps be fixed by harddrive swapping, but as the specs sheet mentions harddrive SLOT makes me wonder if the unit will actually be delivered with one included as standard. If it has to be purchased separately I wonder if software will be written to take advantage of it as virtual memory...

On the other hand, the I/O capabilities of this thing are just CRAZY. 3xgigabit ethernet, bluetooth, wireless ethernet, 3xflashrom slots (I expected like, two MEMORYSTICK slots, and here it offers both SD and CF in addition to MS! Insane!), plus more USB ports than you can shake a stick at... Crazy! Plus the design of the unit is just plain gorgeous, particulary in black. I'll be afraid to touch it, with that glossy finish... :D

Controller on the other hand... Well, if I thought x360 controller looked like a toy, what on earth should I call THIS freaky thing?! I guess Logitech will sue Sony now, didn't they make a batarang controller for the PC once? Or is this Logitech's surplus stock they sold to Sony? I know they made the Eyetoy for Sony, maybe they're having a corporate relationship of some sort... :LOL:

Controller = super weird and ugly, and I'm disappointed there hasn't been any evolution in the sony camp EITHER. Same damn stick layout, same damn button layout... :? I wonder, will two of the shoulder buttons be turned into analog paddles just like with the XB/GC (and DC I might add)? I sure wish so.

All my hopes for a better, cooler controller now lives with the originators of the modern joypad; Nintendo. Don't let me down, Miyamoto!

Oh, and one final "disappointment": doesn't seem to be a dedicated sound DSP in PS3 just like with x360. From what I can read in the specs, it appears the main CPU is dedicated to rendering sound also. Oh well.

Still, native support for dolby digital sounds great! And apparantly there is VGA out too? Not sure, but I hope so. If that's the case I can just hook up the PS3 to my Dell 1905FP and the optical SPDIF to my Z680s and game away, that would be GREAT.

By the way: where are the cooling vents for this thing? Since it's made to both sit flat and stand upright, I am guessing they won't be on either the small bottom side when standing up, nor on the large bottom side when lying down. And the front and rear shots shows there are no vents there either. That leaves just the top... Maybe the thing is entirely made out of metal, acting as a giant heatsink? :D Nah. Don't think so after all.

size.jpg

size??

Xeno said:
DeanoC said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer" based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today."

Isn't the XGPU 9 billion dot products? Should we even believe these numbers?

Nope that was the CPU in Xenon.

Jaws said:
jvd said:
I think they could mean the RSX can access both CPU and GPU memory ~ 512 MB
How fast can it acess the cpu pool of data though ? IF its to low wont it just be a waste ?

Well FlexIO is ~ 77 GB/s

But I think we're getting conflicting info... :?

Yes but wouldn't it have to go from the ram to the cell and then to the gpu ?

Even if the gpu has 77gb/s bandwidth to the cpu it will still be very inefficent and if it could be used like this don't u think sony would have quoted those specs to make it sound faster than the x360

Xeno said:
DeanoC said:

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer" based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today."

Actually it was the X360 CPU capable of 9 billion dot product ops/sec.
X360 GPU quoted at 48 billion shaders ops/sec, PS3 GPU quoted at 100 billion shaders ops/sec (not that I believe anything Sony/NV say)
http://www.tomshardware.com/game/200505121/xbox_360-04.html

FROM THE PSINEXT FORUM!!!!

RaviGupta said:
OO Daaaaaammmmmn.

Looks like we're all in for a slick treat. By the time this has been posted I'm pretty sure most of you have seen this but... Spiderman 2 character running in real time... god that is soooooo sweeeeeeeeeet.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html?q=1&tag=gs_ps3_topslot_click

I don't remember if I posted this on this forum but I do recall saying somewhere that I think some of you were not expecting enough of the PS3. You guys can quote me on this whenever you want if I end up wrong later on, but I believed that PS3 will be able to easily render graphics of FF8 or 9 quality but with much sharper res (like that 1080p they keep talking about now :D , that would be killer!). Hopefully my hypothesis (chemistry is taking me over) pans out... I am certainly not saying that any of you guys are wrong if you are expecting less, really, I am not. I will never count out any possibility that I am wrong. I was just being more optimistic, and anyways, it is hard for any of us to predict what an agressive company like Sony is capable of and what it will do.

Killzone 2.. * super drool* GT5.. *mega duper drool* MGS4 *excessive aquatic life supporting drool* Tekken 6 *double drool* DMC 4 *big drool* UT2007 *not so much drool but drool there*

BIG EDIT

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614692p1.html

FF7 intro tech demo for PS3

This, if remade to use PS3 power...... *super duper mega ultra to the power of pi squared times 6 drooooooooooooooooooool*

I wanna see this so bad. Without seeing it I give it a score on a scale of E to pi a score of mol number.
[/quote]

ERP said:
Xeno said:
DeanoC said:

Nope that was the CPU in Xenon.

The 51 billion number could also refer to the CPU. It's way easier to obtain 51 with 3.2 than with 550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back