PixelJunk Shooter *

Yes, there are three episodes, at least as listed in the trophies.

Incidentally, it appears the 2 player levels are different from the solo ones. The first level of Episode 2 had both Magma and Water suits when I first experienced it in a coop game, but when I solo'd it, there was only the Magma suit.

I must say that in the context of all the great games that have been released on PSN over the years, I am far less impressed by the quality of PixelJunk games than most people seem to be (although in terms of money vs value, they're still very good of course).

I think I'm going to let this one pass for now - game hasn't convinced me.

Shooter is really good, but it is short and easy. And I'm with shifty in that I'd like to see an editor for it, just so I could toy with the physics. I'd even pay for it as DLC.

I must say that in the context of all the great games that have been released on PSN over the years, I am far less impressed by the quality of PixelJunk games than most people seem to be (although in terms of money vs value, they're still very good of course).

I think I'm going to let this one pass for now - game hasn't convinced me.
I liked Monsters very much. Racer didn't work for me as it requires a highly focussed brain and isn't easy to pick up and start playing well, nor did Eden. Didn't really like the art style much, and the rope physics was counter to what I would want from a 'rope swinging' game. Shooter is a very good arcade game, although probably too short for what it is. You get a lot more game for your money with Monsters, for example. But I wouldn't avoid Shooter due to other past titles not working well for you. I think Q-Games have produced 4 very different games with different appeal.

I think almost anything I purchased since Eden, like Shatter, Zen Pinball, Critter Crunch, Trine,
Wipeout, etc.

Eden was a good game mind you, but for me it just missed something - maybe it was too frustrating in the end, or the controls were just a tiny bit off, or the graphics were just not quite inspiring enough, level design not quite polished enough, etc. Probably, a combination of all of the above. Monsters was fun, but it was a tower defense game. I liked that you could walk around, but beyond that it just didn't offer me enough, and I genuinely hated the graphics.

I wouldn't be avoiding Shooter if I was reading impressions from you guys that conveyed why you like it, but for now all the recommendations I've heard suggest to me I'd best stay away from this one.

Agreed !

Arwin, what other games would you rate above PJ games ? ^_^ (Just curious).

Am I the only one who got stuck in the "Trespasser" level ?

I wouldn't be avoiding Shooter if I was reading impressions from you guys that conveyed why you like it, but for now all the recommendations I've heard suggest to me I'd best stay away from this one.
Well, it's a smoothly controlling flier with puzzle elements and awesome fluid dynamics that are just a bit hypnotic, such that it's fun to melt ice just for the effect, for example. Unless you find the visuals bland (which they are, I guess, and perhaps Q-Games can be accused of taking a cheap and easy route? But they are also wonderfully clean) it's worth trying. Find a friend with it and borrow it, if they don't release a demo. That's assuming you haven't anything else to play mind you! If your gaming schedule is full and this doesn't grab you, what the hey!

Eden has the best coop of any game by far. The difficulty was perfect for us (me and my not so much of a gamer wife).

Unfortunately Shooter doesn't have the exploration and platforming of Eden, however it has "exploration of game mechanics" but suffer from content as it doesn't seem to employ cheap tricks of Eden or Monsters.

Still I'd probably rate it above Monsters, as it is less trial and error base.
I agree UGC would be perfect for the game.

however it has "exploration of game mechanics" but suffer from content as it doesn't seem to employ cheap tricks of Eden or Monsters.

Still I'd probably rate it above Monsters, as it is less trial and error base.

Monsters is easily my most played PSN game to-date.

I rate Shooters higher than Monsters so far for "exploration of game mechanics" too. Don't really mind the easy gameplay.

The spinning trick stumped me for a day until I found the answer by asking GAF.

I agree UGC would be perfect for the game.

What's UGC ?

Arwin, I am at the last episode now. There is something even cooler than earlier episodes. Don't want to spoil it for you.

I don't know if you'll like Shooter but I think you should look at the fluid dynamic element. They are simply beautiful (visually and _gameplay-wise_).

EDIT: Adding review to illustrate the essence of Shooter:
http://bitmob.com/index.php/compone...43-pixeljunk-shooter-and-the-joy-of-discovery
... but it's still not the coolest thing about the game IMHO. For me, the wicked fluid dynamics gameplay is it (you have to finish the entire game to see everything).

Heh, I thought it's Ultimate-something-something.

Anyway, I saw Arwin playing Shooter. Hope he doesn't shoot me after trying it out. :devilish:

For people who find the game easy, I think they should gun for perfect run... (Hate killing the trapped scientists accidentally).

For people who find the game easy, I think they should gun for perfect run... (Hate killing the trapped scientists accidentally).

You're right, I have just started doing this and I still have to unlock the very last stage. I still think though that going for a perfect run by finding everything that there is to find is a lot less interesting than have more levels that make you figure out how to correctly tackle the stage to save all scientists. If you go wrong or if you're too slow, then you can't save all of them.

I guess what would be interesting is more puzzle elements like sobokan (the game where you have to move boxes in the correct border). IMO the best example of such a tricky level is the one where lava pours down from above and you have to decide in which order you save the scientists in order to save them all AND be able to get to the stages exit.

Together with the fluid dynamics, there are endless possibilities on how to make a really challenging game that also requires some gaming skill (speed/aiming).

Anyway, I saw Arwin playing Shooter. Hope he doesn't shoot me after trying it out. :devilish:

Yep, I decided to go for it. I can see that the game mechanics are quite fun. The technical implementation of these games though, I still wish they could be a slight bit better. I would hate for them to feel they have to stick to low-tech purely for the sake of maintaining your "signature style". However, it seems fun anyway. Thing I like least of all now is that hiding gems under shootable rock is a bit cheap, and means you basically always have to shoot away all rock that can be shot away, just in case.

They're 2d, why exactly is that 'low-tech'? It's about as advanced 2d as you'll see anywhere.

Really? I think LocoRoco on PSP for instance is far more advanced 2D purely in terms of draw technology, animation, etc.. Never mind something like Shatter (which is still not that advanced, by the way!). Don't forget - 2D doesn't mean you can't do any effects or anything.

Really? I think LocoRoco on PSP for instance is far more advanced 2D purely in terms of draw technology, animation, etc.. Never mind something like Shatter (which is still not that advanced, by the way!). Don't forget - 2D doesn't mean you can't do any effects or anything.

But there's plenty of that. Are the fluids not animating for you? I'm struggling hard to think of what LocoRoco does that's so advanced.

Pixeljunk really isn't pushing the graphics envelope. Shooter does add the fluid tech which is cool, but that's a rare thing. Everything else they've produced, including the basic style of Shooter, is very simple both visually and in technical demands. They don't even have physical interactions with particle effects. By all means like the games or the style, but there's not much case to be said for Pixeljunk pushing the technology envelope save this fluid physics.

Back