PixelJunk Shooter *

Well, image retention seems to lessen, but very slowly. HUD boundaries are still plain, but only with black background: stars and score are no more visible. I hope the best. Thanks all.

Yea, it sounds like a very severe case of image retention. Over time the pixels (I think they are called phosphors?) should return to their relaxed state.

Dylan Cuthbert interview on Develop:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/745/FAQ-Dylan-Cuthbert

I hear people complain about difficult game developer life, super expensive title budget, etc. It is important to ask why people join the game industry too:

What do you enjoy most about working in the video game industry?
The thrill of making stuff and seeing people enjoy playing it. I don’t think there is any industry quite as creative as the games industry because we have to deal with interaction from the player.
A movie, for example, is static and at the end of the day is just the static unchanging expression of the creator, but people actually participate in games which adds a whole creative and adaptive dimension to explore.

What area of the industry needs more investment?
The games investment system needs investment!
The model of games funding at the moment is fundamentally broken and biased towards making publishers stinking rich. Just look at the bonuses and wages of execs at EA for example, I could make the entire PixelJunk series, including series 2, two or three times over on the EA boss’s income bonus.

What disappoints you about the industry?
Gamers complaining about our games being too expensive at 10 dollars. I’m not sure this is an industry problem, but it seems ridiculous that people complain about that price point.
More industry-related, then probably the top-down relationship most publishers have with their devs. Luckily we haven’t been on the receiving end of that so far - touch-wood - but I see a lot of devs in a lot of pain primarily because of publisher-related problems.

An interesting interview with Dylan Cuthbert:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed

G4: How difficult was it to develop the liquid physics? The dynamic, procedural nature of the physics are what drive much of the joy of exploration in PixelJunk Shooter. It's hard to imagine what playing the game would be like if the physics had been explicitly scripted.

Dylan: This was the core of the engine, it took about 6 months to develop, and 6 months to get perfectly right and optimized for 1080p/60fps. The whole premise of the game's core concept revolved around getting these particle fluids working well so that was our sole focus for a long time. There are still lots of ideas for things to do with the fluid engine which we hope to include in the sequel.

G4: Gamers have expressed some disappointment over the way the game ends on a cliffhanger, suggesting a sequel or downloadable content is coming soon. Do you feel the criticism's fair?

Dylan: No -- because obviously the ending is tongue in cheek (as is the whole game with the cheesy b-movie storyline, etc.). Even if we weren't going to make a sequel we would have put that in -- as you know, it's a surprising and funny ending.

G4: You've released several downloadable games now. Gamers are a fickle bunch when it comes to the prices of these games, especially so for expanded content. What's been the biggest lesson?

Dylan: I think we're still learning -- the biggest lesson though has been not to release a demo immediately. Gamers are very quick and eager to feed their habits, and sometimes, even though a demo is fun, they will be partially satisfied with it (especially with smaller games like ours) and not buy the full game even though they enjoyed it a lot, which is a big shame as they miss out on all the cool stuff later on in the game. I think it is better to build up trust with the fans, so they know that they will be getting something unique and original when they buy PixelJunk and get their money's worth no matter what it is.

and other IMHO interesting Q&A. Too many to list...

I don't mind the length, but I think some may be complaining about the lack of actual hands-on time with the later weapons. e.g., I'd love to play with the magnetic suit more !

I wish the game was a bit more demanding and made you think more. The puzzle element is missing IMO. Now, you can practically go through all levels and just shoot everything with worrying too much about consequences. There should have been a bit more of a challenge, especially in figuring out which paths to do first in order to save them all, or in the time.

I wish the game was a bit more demanding and made you think more. The puzzle element is missing IMO. Now, you can practically go through all levels and just shoot everything with worrying too much about consequences. There should have been a bit more of a challenge, especially in figuring out which paths to do first in order to save them all, or in the time.

More of it, fine, but it's not missing! You can't just shoot all over the place, because otherwise you'll kill some of the folk you want to save, set off gas explosions you're not ready for yet, etc. And you do have to think about what to do first in several levels.

More of it, fine, but it's not missing! You can't just shoot all over the place, because otherwise you'll kill some of the folk you want to save, set off gas explosions you're not ready for yet, etc. And you do have to think about what to do first in several levels.

But not enough! I suppose it isn't completely missing, but from all the levels, only one memorable level comes to mind that lived up to some of the potential - that being the level where there's lots of lava coming from above and you have to think about which tunnels to shoot and the exact order you rescue your scientists or else you will have some killed or not make it to the exit at all! But even in that level, there wasn't much complexity with all the liquid fluid elements that come into play in the later levels.

Maybe I just expected more. I honestly can't say that I had to do a lot of thinking when playing through the game and was pretty much able to shoot everything (in controlled messure of course, not to accidently kill one of scientists). And finding hidden tunnels and gems isn't all that rewarding when you have to pretty much shoot *everything* in the level. I guess it would feel a bit better if I had to use my brain a bit more.

It's not all bad though - I enjoyed it a lot for what it is - great music, very stylish, love the b-movie cheesy story which gave more than a few laughs and I like the gameplay mechanics a lot. My only gripe is somewhat with the level design which IMO was lacking the challenge. Once I finished the game, I was sort of feeling "I finished the training - now give me the real challenging gameplay!".

The puzzle difficulty is mild, except for the one where you need to spin. I was stuck for 1-2 days before GAF gave me the answer.

I don't mind the length, but I think some may be complaining about the lack of actual hands-on time with the latter weapons. e.g., I'd love to play with the magnetic suit more !
I think all the weapons and features were underplayed. Could have done with being twice as long to really explore the interplay between elements.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/18/pixeljunk-shooter-2-in-full-production/

For those that haven’t already heard, PixelJunk Shooter 2 is in full production, full steam ahead, anchors away and all that… commotion to that order. I can’t say much about it now, but it will have some features that are new to the PixelJunk series in general and will be bigger than the first game! We’re busy implementing all the ideas that were left on the drawing board for the first game to make Shooter 2 as jam-packed full of crazy fun as possible… I’m pretty sure we won’t make a Shooter 3 because everything and the kitchen sink (probably quite literally) is going into Shooter 2.

:love: to see the fluid dynamics gameplay again !

http://kotaku.com/5640457/pixeljunk-shooter-2s-new-fluids-include-bubbles-bugs--bullet-hell

PixelJunk Shooter 2, the sequel to Q-Games' inventive PlayStation Network game, adds more than just light and acid to the list of new fluidic matter the developer is playing with. Bugs, bubbles and bullet hell also join the updated liquid arsenal.

We've already experienced how PixelJunk Shooter 2 plays with the corrosive acids that spew forth from the belly of a beast and how Q-Games used its fluid technology to dynamically render light in pitch black caves.

But there's another substance filled the guts of the massive creature you'll find yourself exploring in Shooter 2. A green, sticky goo will fill some organic caverns. Touch it and you'll become attached. Upon freeing your ship, the goo will grow.

Back