Phenom video leaks from Lake Tahoe

So what's stopping you from having one?

The fact that it sucks a big plate of ass tends to put a dent on my desire to posess one. I am rather masochistic wrt hardware aquisitions, but I'm not certain I'm that masochistic.:D

Tomshardware.

Not entirely horrible, just not... very good... I certainly hope they have both some tweaks/respins up their sleeve as well as killer bundle pricing for OEMs with these things. Otherwise it'll suck to be us when Intel is left as the only game in town.

I'll reserve final judgment until there's some retail reviews out early next year, but for anyone buying right now I see no reason not to get a Q6600.

Zaphod said:
I certainly hope they have both some tweaks/respins up their sleeve
I sure hope so. Though the fact it has had quite a few respins already and still haven't reached the clock speeds advertised nearly a year ago is troubling.
Zaphod said:
well as killer bundle pricing for OEMs with these things
That could happen, though it won't be that good for AMD financials.

Can't believe they are still using the SB600 until early next year. Tom's Hardware is talking about how futureproof PCIe 2.0 on Spider is going to be, when it seems the first ones on SB600 won't even have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, but guys over at Tom's must have really had a lot of fun over at Tahoe because that conclusion page takes putting lipstick on the pig to a whole new level.

I am sorry, but guys over at Tom's must have really had a lot of fun over at Tahoe because that conclusion page takes putting lipstick on the pig to a whole new level.

Not Tahoe. Tahoe's equivalent in Germany. They do claim that they actually tested em' in their Munich labs though.

Bastards aren't even trying anymore. How dare they shovel this shit on my doorstep. "oh, but it's *native* quad-core and it's a long-term investment" FUCK THAT! I want something that performs now, not an over-priced and under-performing POS that will allow me to eventually upgrade to something that *might* be competitive.

I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt and standing up for their lack-luster products over the past year+ in the hope that they'd finally get things right with the Spider platform. So much for that.

AMD just lost a fan, and more importantly, a customer that is rather influential in his circle. Looks like it's all Intel + NV for me and anyone that I give advice to from now on.

Bastards aren't even trying anymore. How dare they shovel this shit on my doorstep. "oh, but it's *native* quad-core and it's a long-term investment" FUCK THAT! I want something that performs now, not an over-priced and under-performing POS that will allow me to eventually upgrade to something that *might* be competitive.

I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt and standing up for their lack-luster products over the past year+ in the hope that they'd finally get things right with the Spider platform. So much for that.

AMD just lost a fan, and more importantly, a customer that is rather influential in his circle. Looks like it's all Intel + NV for me and anyone that I give advice to from now on.

Hold the presses...the goddamn sky must be falling-are the horsemen free?Are you actually pissed enough at AMD to...gasp...go to Intel+nV?Something similar happened to Hellbinder IIRC:D.

Hold the presses...the goddamn sky must be falling-are the horsemen free?Are you actually pissed enough at AMD to...gasp...go to Intel+nV?Something similar happened to Hellbinder IIRC:D.

Yep. I'm done with them until at least the Bulldozer/R800 generation. They're not even close to competitive at the high-end. It pisses me off that I've spent so much time defending their lack of execution, finding excuses for them and trying to convince people to buy AMD products for the sake of maintaining competition. No more. Sure, I'll still recommend low-end products from AMD, but they simply have nothing to offer enthusiasts right now nor any time in the foreseeable future.

Well the future is still unknown, there can always be surprises.

The immediate future is foreseeable, since both Intel & AMD have made their roadmaps known through the next 2 years. Bulldozer is the only product that even looks to have a shot at being competitive across all price ranges. Shanghai and Montreal will be more profitable thanks to 45nm manufacturing, but they sure as hell won't outperform Penryn, let alone Nehalem.

Well the future is still unknown, there can always be surprises.

If they actually manage to ramp the currently pitiful clock-rates, and have enough fat to trim from their margins per chip in order to allow them aggressive pricing(the first one is up in the air, the second one is really doubtful), things could turn out OK-ish. What is worrisome is that I don't really see them making a lot of money from Phenom, and making money is something AMD desperately needs. Ironically, the 790FX and other 7 series chipsets may turn out to be more successfull. Time will tell, I guess.

If they actually manage to ramp the currently pitiful clock-rates, and have enough fat to trim from their margins per chip in order to allow them aggressive pricing(the first one is up in the air, the second one is really doubtful), things could turn out OK-ish. What is worrisome is that I don't really see them making a lot of money from Phenom, and making money is something AMD desperately needs. Ironically, the 790FX and other 7 series chipsets may turn out to be more successfull. Time will tell, I guess.

It's hard to sell the platform when the CPU is lack-luster at best. I'm so far beyond disappointed with AMD right now, I'm actually disgusted.

Can't believe they are still using the SB600 until early next year. Tom's Hardware is talking about how futureproof PCIe 2.0 on Spider is going to be, when it seems the first ones on SB600 won't even have it.

Full PCIe 2.0 support is in the north bridge.

It's hard to sell the platform when the CPU is lack-luster at best. I'm so far beyond disappointed with AMD right now, I'm actually disgusted.

The 9600 is pretty competitve to the Q6600 and they cost the same. :rolleyes:

I think everyone would agree that we would all like to see 3ghz + chips, but it looks like they are comming latter. So you either buy one of the expensive QX modals or you wait, or have fun OC'ing a lower spec intel or Phenom for the time being.

For people that are building a rig today, you can't go wrong with Spider. Mainly thanks to 790FX. It's much cheaper than x38.

Full PCIe 2.0 support is in the north bridge.

The 9600 is pretty competitve to the Q6600 and they cost the same. :rolleyes:

I think everyone would agree that we would all like to see 3ghz + chips, but it looks like they are comming latter. So you either buy one of the expensive QX modals or you wait, or have fun OC'ing a lower spec intel or Phenom for the time being.

For people that are building a rig today, you can't go wrong with Spider. Mainly thanks to 790FX. It's much cheaper than x38.

"Pretty competitive" = slower. Also, it doesn't o/c anywhere near as well as the commpetition AND IT COSTS MORE! Why would I buy that? As for Spider being cheaper than X38, it should be, but its not. $270 (Newegg) for a Gigabyte 790FX board is WAY too much. They should be selling for little more than half that, given the lack-luster performance. I refuse to buy MSI "enthusiast" boards for they are anything but. I'd rather over-pay for a Gigabyte board than risk even further disappointment with a crappy MSI board.

I was going to build in the next couple weeks but now I'm going to try to hold out until January at least, so I can get a Q9450 and I just hope that NV decides to gift us with a single GPU card faster than the year-old+ 8800 GTX by then.

Look man, I know you know that I'm one of the biggest AMD fans around. How can you continue to support this company when all they do is fail? I gave them at least a year of leeway in the hope that they'd turn things around and return to competitiveness at the high-end, but they have utterly failed at this and look to do so at least until Bulldozer/R800. Why should I spend my hard-earned money on an under-performing and over-priced platform?

The MSI one is $179.

Look man, I know you know that I'm one of the biggest AMD fans around. How can you continue to support this company when all they do is fail? I gave them at least a year of leeway in the hope that they'd turn things around and return to competitiveness at the high-end, but they have utterly failed at this and look to do so at least until Bulldozer/R800. Why should I spend my hard-earned money on an under-performing and over-priced platform?

Shangi and R700? Or you just skipping over those?

I think your totally underating it. Word is that the Phenoms OC pretty decent actully(Sami OC a 2.3 to 3ghz, and Kyle B seeing 3ghz modals scale to 3.6 helps support this).

Am I the only one that thinks ditching the SB700 for the SB600 is smart for the time being? Wow, you lose some USB and SATA burst performance... big woop, it allowed them to beat Nvidia to the market with competive pricing compared to Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back