Phenom video leaks from Lake Tahoe

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by digitalwanderer, Nov 17, 2007.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Hey, I didn't leak it...but that's the guy who helped me to nuke one of them systems there (Sami Maekinen):

I'll explain Monday, I can't talk about it right now. Watch the video, it explains an awful lot of neat and interesting things.

2. mpcamer

Newcomer

Highlight of the trip. :wink:

3. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Awesome app. Looks to be the best overclocking app ever released. Nice o/c on air too.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

You know you can get the app now, right? Over here at Real World Labs. :)

Welcome to B3D mpcamer, good to have ya here. :)

5. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Good stuff. I doubt it'll work on my current i915 P4 550 rig though ;)

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I'm really interested in Spider. Sure Penryn looks to be faster than Phenom, but I've always thought it's important to get a good motherboard that's going to enhance the system. I'd rather not get a bog standard Intel motherboard or troublesome Nvidia board, so I fancy giving up some CPU speed and going for the whole Spider platform and clocking it up just like this.

It looks like AMD have gone really mainstream with overclocking. With this app and ATI's overdrive for graphics cards, it's all but factory supported "variable system speed" at a couple of clicks of a button.

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

What makes you so certain this isn't "bog standard." While I'll likely be picking up a HD 3870 by the end of this month, I won't be buying into any "platform" just because its sold as such. That makes no sense, these platforms are little more than all AMD parts.

The actual application though looks to kick ass, and is something very nice.

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

The 790FX seems to have many good features (such as the overclocking facility above). If I want one, I have to go Phenom rather than Penryn.

9. Sound_Card

Regular

This is the second video.

:shock:

"I can play games... when I'm done with my homework.":lol:

10. Twinkie

Regular

So does the X38 motherboard, if not the X48. P35s are also very good when it comes to OCability, features and have very good price tags along with it. Motherboards tend to perform similiarly (1~5% max difference in performance) and the fact that Penryns scale up to over 4Ghz (its already proven) makes this whole "spider" platform kind of worthless in a "performance" sense.

Now what would be awesome is if someone could modify this app so that it works with the components made from the competition. Crossfire the RV670 on the X38, with a QX9450 :twisted:

11. dizietsma

Banned

Funny seeing Macci, probably in the top 3 overclockers of all time, showing how to use an application to help the less gifted :D

Of course in the old days Macci much preferred Intel, so it is a bit ironic that he joined ATi and then they got bought out by AMD.

I think he still has Intel chips in his own machine, bathed in LN2 ho ho.

12. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yes, in a parallel world if the AMD buyout of ATI had never happened, I'd get a 790FX board with a quad core Penryn. Until I figure out how to build wormholes into nearby dimensions, choices have become constrained. However, given the movies above, I'm not so sure that Penryn will be so far ahead as previously thought. If the price is right, AMD may pull the same price/performance with 790FX/Phenom as they did with 38xx, making Spider quite attractive anyway.

BTW, I thought one of the big advantages of the new ATI cards is that they will do Crossfire on the Intel boards, where SLI won't?

#12 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  13. doob

Regular

i'd like to see them taking prices down to a new level instead :twisted:

14. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

That 2nd vid was even better. An almost 50% performance increase using the auto-tune function of overdrive :eek 13.7k -> 19.9k 3dmark06.

If this is marketed the right way, overclocking will become the new "car modding" craze. Rice already hit us with bling-tastic cases, lights, and fans. Let's hope it doesn't get worse.

15. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Intel has yet to put out a chipset that can even dream of touching 790FX's level of tweakability. Per-core overclocking, anyone?

Nonsense. Show me an Intel system that can have its 3d performance boosted by near 50% with the touch of a button.

AMD wants and *needs* to sell platforms to survive. They made the right decision here.

16. Sxotty

Veteran

That is an ironic twist to what happened when AMD bought ATI.

17. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

CF doesn't require a license to implement, unlike SLI. It is open to all chipset/board-makers and has worked on Intel systems since the 925, IIRC.

18. Jawed

Legend

13691 for a dual card rig is not very good though is it? What's going on there?

Jawed

19. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Well clearly it can be overcome by overclocking so who cares :p

Just for reference, a friend of mine has a Q6600 8800 Ultra SLI rig (MSI OC Ultras - highest clocked Ultras on the market) and he only scores 15.5k in 3dmark06.

#19 ShaidarHaran, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  20. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

You may want to hold that enthusiasm about the 1 button push 3d performance boost. In fact, I can't see what's so gush-worthy in these clips, asides from them having Macci and the software looking really nice and thorough.

The second one doesn't exactly show which settings are set by the autotuning utility, whilst for the first...I wouldn't hold my breath for achieving a 3GHz clock rate with the CPUs that'll go on sale tomorrow, maybe not even on water. Or did anyone miss the rather aggressive overclock?