[PC] Max Payne 3

This game was originally supposed to be released in 2010, and keeps getting delayed. According to an old IGN article, it is being built by Rockstar Vancouver using the Rage engine, so hopefully it has all the bells and whistles of the physics/animation in Red Dead Redemption. The delays worry me. I was a huge fan of the first two games and wouldn't want to see this one fall flat on its face. Hopefully it gets the same attention as RDR and GTA..

Multiplayer. Why? How? ugh.

I don't know, the multiplayer sounds kind of interesting:

"In a unique twist, Max Payne 3 multiplayer delivers a compelling experience that dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match."

A multiplayer survival/horde mode might be really cool in this one. If you had a shared bullet-time meter that could be triggered by one or more players to slow the game for everyone. The survival mode in Max Payne 2 was a lot of fun, and it was just a single-player experience.

I'm sure the focus will still be on the single player portion of the game. I kind of wonder how long the game is going to be. Rockstar tends to make their games into epics. Will this be a 20 hour Max Payne? A common complaint about the first two is how short they were. I'm curious about the pacing of the game as well. They've added a cover mechanic, and I wonder if that's a sign of a little slower style of play, or if it'll be just as fast and frantic as the first two. I hope it's an intense play.

I'm a little surprised they haven't released more info or video regarding the game, and I'm hoping that's not a sign of troubles with the title. I expect a huge blowout of information to start shortly after the start of the new year.

What really gets me excited is the physics word. I love those Natural Motion physics, and I really want to see how this one is going to look. Red Dead Redemption should be a good indicator, and sometimes that game looked absolutely spectacular in bullet-time (Dead Eye, or whatever they called it).

Survival makes a lot more sense, but the bullet time mechanics just don't fit for MP... Even if it's shared, I think I'd be a little bit more than annoyed if I'm doing something else while my buddy is slowing down the world while he's the only one actually shooting. It just sounds like a waste of development effort developing online MP. *shrug*

The dynamic maps feature does sound neat, but I can't help but just think of L4D, which brings us back to a survival mode (co-op or single player) instead of competitive MP.

TBH, I think I would have been more excited about destruction physics than Natural Motion, but it should be neat to see how the ragdolls and AI are affected by being shot.

I'm hoping that's not a sign of troubles with the title.
I thought it was well known that MP3 has been in development hell? :p

Al surely you know - it's impossible to make money with SP games only these days! Everyone know this except CDP Projekt, Bethesda, Rockstar, and Bioware. Surely they'll be out of business soon because you have to have MP to be successful.

Also if your game doesn't have always online DRM it will only be pirated and you won't make any money. Everybody knows this.

:D

Natural Motion is exciting. Animation doesn't progress nearly as fast as rendering, and I'm always glad to see devs focusing on it.

I'm a huge fan of Natural Motion, at least in how I've seen it implemented so far, but destruction physics would be AWESOME.

Man that trailer was shit. It was just generic actioney crap with the Max Payne theme music slapped on the beginning and end in a desperate attempt to say "No really, it'll be just as good we swear!". And Max's lines were so blatantly simplistic;

"With all hell breaking loose around ANOTHER girl I had been trying to protect"

What? Does that not sound so utterly stupid to everyone else? It's like "Hey console gamers, we know you probably don't remember the original Max Payne games so here's some really vague but still-just-good-enough-for-you backstory to get things rolling!".

:rolleyes:

Not expecting anything good out of this one. Haven't really from the start I suppose... I bet it'll be 99% shit with one or two good levels (and they'll be flashbacks to classic-Payne areas like the tenements or something from MP2).

Max clearly has a psychological fixation on protecting women :p (and failing).

I hope they do a different instrument theme for the theme. MP1 was piano, MP2 was cello. /wonders what a harp can do.

I think Rockstar has done a good job with their games this gen. In terms of storytelling, they seem to improve with every game. GTA 4 had a great beginning act, a decent final act and a pretty crappy middle. Red Dead Redemption was much better for having a great beginning, great finale and a mediocre but passable middle. Red Dead was just a little too long for its own good. I'm assuming Max Payne will be a much shorter game, without meandering side-missions, so if we only get the best then it could turn out pretty well.

In the end, I'll only judge once I see some gameplay. The reality is that the game hinges on the action. We'll see if Rockstar can deliver a true shooter. Red Dead Redemption made massive improvements over GTA in that regard, and was a good shooter for an open world game, but is not up to par with more linear action shooters. Max Payne has to be much faster paced, deliver with the diving and shooting mechanics and have more interesting enemies than any other rockstar titles. The enemies in Max Payne were never very smart, but at this point they need to be better than what was in RDR.

One thing that they will deliver is good visuals and awesome bullet-time. The bullet-time in RDR was fantastic, as the NaturalMotion physics/animation really had incredible results.

I don't know. It isn't like the first two were well written games. They were 100% style over substance. There are some Max Payne-isms that will probably be missing that I'm going to miss - the tv and radio shows, the nightmare sequences. If those elements are still in the game, I'll be pleasantly surprised. This definitely looks to be a different approach to the series. It may still be a very good game, but I'm just hoping they can still capture the same atmosphere. The tone of the new trailer is still very much in the same vein, even though the art and direction are different.

They did major failure with the trailer - the music only fits depressing, dark enviroments like Finland or NYC, not samba-driven Brazil

I don't know. It isn't like the first two were well written games.

And neither was Alan Wake. While I hate just about anything else about the trailer, the writing isn't something I'm too worried about. At least by game standards, R* games are generally excellent in that regard. Unfortunately R* have yet to make a game with decent shooting mechanics. Kinda vital in a Max Payne game. (but then I also thought strategy was a vital element of a Syndicate game, so what do I know)

Yeah, more than anything I'm worried about the pace of the game, the shooting mechanics, the enemy AI. I'm sure the presentation will be fantastic, in terms of bullet-time, physics and overall graphics (at least on console). RDR was a big improvement on GTA as a shooter, and good for an open world game, but would need quite a bit of improvement to fit into a linear action-packed shooter.

They did major failure with the trailer - the music only fits depressing, dark enviroments like Finland or NYC, not samba-driven Brazil

Yeah completely agree. The tone for MP calls for snow and shadowy alleyways. This setting flies in the face of the whole concept of MP.

It's not impossible to pull off, but it doesn't bode well.

The moment I heard this game would be in Brazil and Max would be some kind of hired gun I knew this game was going to suck. It's exactly what Max Payne is NOT.

Btw I really liked the story in Max Payne games.

Back