No Rumor, Xbox Live on Windows Phone 7

I wonder if Microsoft will decide that portables are the true convergence devices.

IMO, smartphones are already the most fully-realized execution of the concept. Really, I think it may be more appropriate to wonder if MS have finally realized that they are the true convergence device. Unfortunately for them, they have realized it long after they lost their once fairly strong position in the market. As it stands now, they have a long up-hill battle ahead if they hope to have WP7 achieve any significance

First, winmo 6.1 was designed without usability in mind, and it was the worst smartphone OS that ever existed, Android is not even comparable to WM6. Also, flexibility isn't a bad thing when done right. You can jailbreak the iphone to provide flexibility, and it doesn't affect the end user experience at all.

My win mo 6.1 touch pro was much better for emails and doing work then my samsung moment running andriod 2.1. Its hands down one of the best productivity os for smart phones and the fact that there was the stylus was a god send.

Second, by the time WM7 ships, Android will be 3.0, with 3 years of experience and on the market testing behind it, not to mention tons of apps. Guess what, Android 3.0 does away with custom UI skins to provide a more iphone like experience, and requires a 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM, which are far higher than WM7 requirements. I'm not even getting into iPhone, which is the usability leader in the market and iPhone customers wouldn't even consider a WM7 phone.

Yes and what do you do about those phones that run a non 3.0 andriod do you count those off or are you limiting your userbase to 0% or do you limit what the software can do because it needs to run on 3 year old hardware ?See the problem with andriod and why it will allways be a problem. Oh and it sucks that andriod will do away with costum UI skins because the htc skins arethe only thing making it useable . Wow differing opinions much suck

There are about 25M Xbox owners in the US in the 4.5 years it's been on sale, iPhone and Android sell about the same number or more in a single year. Thus, Xbox ownership won't be a major factor on who buys these phones, they will have to sell themselves with their own merits such as outdated ARMv7 CPU's, cutting edge (for 2008) 480x320 screens, lack of Mac compatibility, lack of copy&paste and multitasking, and higher prices than Android phones due to more expensive OS licensing.

The phone i used will go on sale in dec and has a dual 1.2ghz cpu and a custom gpu that ms hasn't announced yet and a 800x480 screen .

I don't see whats wrong with that hardware.

I think you have to much of a hard on for andriod and its clouding your judgement. This os offers many attractive options for users. It has mandatory specs that will allow for a soild gaming experiance . It has portable live interface which if its anything like windows live for the pc or live for the 360 will be much better than what apple or google provides on thier phones. It has zune software which is very good software for music/podcasts/videos and with zune pass it allows me tohave great intergration across my laptop , desktop , xbox , zune and now my phone. It has outlook that makes it extremely easy for me to go from work to my phone to home since that is the software I use. And those are just some of the reasons why I'm more interested in this OS then the one I currently use (andriod)

First, winmo 6.1 was designed without usability in mind, and it was the worst smartphone OS that ever existed, Android is not even comparable to
WM6.

Actually, WM 6.1 (and the current version 6.5) was designed as an iteration of the PocketPC->Windows Mobile Line stretching back to the beginning of the century. MS's biggest concerns at the time the 6.x series was being developed were compatibility (as has been typical with MS OS revisions) and maintaining consistency so that their core market for these devices (business users) remained comfortable with them. Keep in mind, this was before the IPhone revolution and MS designed this UI when stylus use on touchscreens was still the norm. Of course now, as finger-friendly interfaces are the norm, this interface is hopelessly outdated. They have made minor tweaks through this series to address this, but came to the conclusion that they were going to have to make a clean break from the PocketPC heritage in order to field a competetive product in this radically changed market. This was the genesis of Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately, the best they could muster while they made all these changes (even under an accelerated development schedule) was a point revision (to 6.5 from 6.1) while Apple continued to iterate on their successful design and Google rapidly iterated on Android. This is why MS seems so behind, MS's products are based around a 10-year-old UI!

Second, by the time WM7 ships, Android will be 3.0

Doesn't seem so. I know of several WP7 devices in the product pipeline. All the Android phones nearing release are running Froyo (2.2) or below. This shouldn't be a surprise as we are still seeing products ship today with Eclair (2.1)and even Donut (1.6).

with 3 years of experience and on the market testing behind it, not to mention tons of apps.

Which MS had the benefit of learning from, as well. It's not like they would ignore their competition. And I'm pretty sure MS learned something along the way while they were creating a digital marketplace that generates $1B in revenue a year. Couple this with MS's years of experience with supporting software development for it's platforms and somehow, I don't think apps are going to be scarce for WP7.

Guess what, Android 3.0 does away with custom UI skins to provide a more iphone like experience, and requires a 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM, which are far higher than WM7 requirements.

This is simply a difference in how Google and MS are creating products for different market segments. Google intend for products aimed at lower prices to utilize older versions of Android in order to minimize performance requirements. Thus their newest OS version will always aim to run on the latest hardware. MS OTOH are going to have the same OS for all their products and therefore have to allow for lower minimum system requirements. This in no way means that there won't be top range hardware running WP7 and quite the contrary , we know this isn't the case as we know the specs of the upcoming phones already. The major growth that is happening and is going to continue to happen in this market is going to happen at the low-end as the old "feature-phone" models get squeezed by low-end smartphones into a smaller and smaller niche. This is where a low-end WP7-based phone could compare very favorably to other products on the market.

they will have to sell themselves with their own merits such as outdated ARMv7 CPU's, cutting edge (for 2008) 480x320 screens, lack of Mac compatibility, lack of copy&paste and multitasking, and higher prices than Android phones due to more expensive OS licensing.

You are seriously under-informed....

Last edited by a moderator:
My win mo 6.1 touch pro was much better for emails and doing work then my samsung moment running andriod 2.1. Its hands down one of the best productivity os for smart phones and the fact that there was the stylus was a god send.
You are clearly in the minority on this one, seeing the sales of WM6 vs. Android devices.

Yes and what do you do about those phones that run a non 3.0 andriod do you count those off or are you limiting your userbase to 0% or do you limit what the software can do because it needs to run on 3 year old hardware ?See the problem with andriod and why it will allways be a problem. Oh and it sucks that andriod will do away with costum UI skins because the htc skins arethe only thing making it useable . Wow differing opinions much suck
Even if you count anything below android 3 out, it'll still sell more.

I think you have to much of a hard on for andriod and its clouding your judgement. This os offers many attractive options for users. It has mandatory specs that will allow for a soild gaming experiance . It has portable live interface which if its anything like windows live for the pc or live for the 360 will be much better than what apple or google provides on thier phones. It has zune software which is very good software for music/podcasts/videos and with zune pass it allows me tohave great intergration across my laptop , desktop , xbox , zune and now my phone. It has outlook that makes it extremely easy for me to go from work to my phone to home since that is the software I use. And those are just some of the reasons why I'm more interested in this OS then the one I currently use (andriod)
Iphone and Android have exchange integration as well as HTML5 capable browsers unlike WM7, and touchscreen only phones will never be used for serious gaming, the likes of which require custom GPU's. Iphone showed this quite well to everyone. Therefore, it has to stand on its own phone merits, not for gaming. Also, windows live for PC is at the same level of horrendous as Vista, not to mention very few people use Zune as their music store, compared to Apple and Amazon.

This is why MS seems so behind, MS's products are based around a 10-year-old UI!
They were ahead of the curve but couldn't innovate anymore, hence their current position at the back. Kinda like Sony going from PS2 to PS3, eh?

The major growth that is happening and is going to continue to happen in this market is going to happen at the low-end as the old "feature-phone" models get squeezed by low-end smartphones into a smaller and smaller niche. This is where a low-end WP7-based phone could compare very favorably to other products on the market.
Going for the low-end worked out wonderfully as we saw with the Kin, right?

You are seriously under-informed....

Links showing that WP7 will have copy&paste, multitasking (3rd party), a HTML5 compatible browser please?

You are clearly in the minority on this one, seeing the sales of WM6 vs. Android devices.
lol good job. To bad there is only one windows mobile device still avalible for purchase in the united states. Its kinda hard to sell a platform when the creator of it is announcing a brand new verison.

Even if you count anything below android 3 out, it'll still sell more.

Don't see how that will work. If andriod 3 sets a minimum requirement for hardware support then suddenly google is right back to 0 for installed base and many consumers who own devices from earlier in the year that wont be supported with andriod 3.0 will look else where in the future. Then there will be andriod 1.5 users , 2.1 , 1.8 ,2.2 , 3.0 and then 3.1 and then 3.2

Andriod suffers the same problem that windows mobile sufferd from

Iphone and Android have exchange integration as well as HTML5 capable browsers unlike WM7, and touchscreen only phones will never be used for serious gaming, the likes of which require custom GPU's. Iphone showed this quite well to everyone. Therefore, it has to stand on its own phone merits, not for gaming. Also, windows live for PC is at the same level of horrendous as Vista, not to mention very few people use Zune as their music store, compared to Apple and Amazon.
Except the andriod email programs suck. I also don't see why WM7 wont have a HTML5 capable web browser considering this is ms. Can you show someone with a launch build of w7p that has a browser without html 5 ?

Also vista was one of the best OS's i've ever used so I don't know what your going on about. Your simpy trolling for no reason.

Enough of the mobile phone rudery. There's now a proper mobile OS discussion thread, so this thread can talk specifically about Live features on mobiles, while an attempt at mobile OS discussion can be held sensibly.

I also don't see why WM7 wont have a HTML5 capable web browser considering this is ms.
speaking as someone's who's working with html5 at the moment, before worrying about mobile OS's supporting html5. can you ask MS to get html5 working decently in internet explorer on the desktop first. Of the 5 main browsers their implementation is the slackest.

:) cause its true

Xbox live integration is a good idea for winphone7, Im assuming u can buy non game applications from xbox live?

speaking as someone's who's working with html5 at the moment, before worrying about mobile OS's supporting html5. can you ask MS to get html5 working decently in internet explorer on the desktop first. Of the 5 main browsers their implementation is the slackest.

:) cause its true

Xbox live integration is a good idea for winphone7, Im assuming u can buy non game applications from xbox live?

you try I.E 9 ?

I meant 2008 OS specs with no multitasking and copy and paste, actually ARMv7 is also a failure, even the 3GS has ARMv8 and that's a year old phone.

Also, Copy/Paste was added in the 3rd iphone, Multitasking added in the 4th iphone OS.

It doesn't matter if the iPhone didn't have it before, because it has it now, along with Android. WM7 isn't competing with ios2, and Android 1.3, it's competing with ios4 and android 3.0. With these specs, it won't be any more succesful than the Zune.

Most people can get along fine without it. Cut and Paste and multitasking has never been a general dislike of the Iphone but rather a niche concern of the hardcore users or fanboys. I had an iphone and now have a Galaxy S and I spend more time killing apps running in the background then actual true multitasking and C&Ping. Automatically hyperlinking phone numbers, street and email addresss removes about 80% of the usefulness of C&P anyway for most general users.

And min specs are there to allow the manufacture of cheaper phones at the outset where volume in terms of unit sold exists. Furthermore a good majority of the games on the marketplace are playable on Android 1.5 and 1.6 based phones. The same goes for iphone where a good many apps target 3g and below.

Furthermore if the majority of the posted list is released with WM7 then it will already have a vastly superior game marketplace then Android.

Its my opinion that gaming smartphones and dedicated gaming handhelds are shaping up like PC versus consoles. If PCs with its better hardware and greater utility couldn't stop most major game development from following the bigger userbases of gaming consoles. I doubt that dedicated gaming handhelds with just hardware alone is going to stop most major game development from following the growing userbases of the smartphone gaming. Where carrier contracts are going to add a second layer of hardware subidization that will eventually allow smartphones the flexibility to carry more costly but more advanced hardware.

Eventually, smartphones are going to have a userbase, hardware and utility advantages over gaming handhelds. I think its only smart that MS and Sony enter this field as only Nintendo has shown the nack to differentiate its handhelds and their experiences enough to appeal to the mainstream without cell tech and all the functionality that smartphones offer and will offer in the future.

Most people can get along fine without it. Cut and Paste and multitasking has never been a general dislike of the Iphone but rather a niche concern of the hardcore users or fanboys. I had an iphone and now have a Galaxy S and I spend more time killing apps running in the background then actual true multitasking and C&Ping. Automatically hyperlinking phone numbers, street and email addresss removes about 80% of the usefulness of C&P anyway for most general users.

And min specs are there to allow the manufacture of cheaper phones at the outset where volume in terms of unit sold exists. Furthermore a good majority of the games on the marketplace are playable on Android 1.5 and 1.6 based phones. The same goes for iphone where a good many apps target 3g and below.

Furthermore if the majority of the posted list is released with WM7 then it will already have a vastly superior game marketplace then Android.

I agree hat multitasking isn't really that important especially with the save state functions you have on android and ios. I do think copy/paste is important though. I admit I do not use it a lot of my phone but there are some cases where it is just really usefull to have. Besides that I doubt a copy/paste function is something that is very hard to implement so not having this just weird even though it is probably very under utilized.

As for gaming i'm still wondering how imporant this will be when people decide which phone they want. I think at the moment and near future nobody will really care. Movie, audio, social networking etc are probably far more imporant. Also because a phone is much more suited for things like that. Gaming with only a touchscreen and no gaming ergonomics still is a bit awkward to be especially if you consider that if you care about gaming there are options which are far cheaper than a 500 euro phone and will over much better games.

Probably gaming on a phone will be mostly for games that are more about killing some time than lets say a mobile CoD or whatever I think. Atleast for now.

edit: Just some anecdotal evidence on gaming on phones from my experience. Me and my friends all like gaming and we are in our early 20's, I suppose we would be the main target group (money enough to be these expensive phones but still enough free time to also use them). But none of us cares much about gaming on phones. Basically the argument is: If I want mobile gaming I'll get my ds/psp because that just works much better and that way I don't have to bother about my battery being dead after a couple of hours.

I agree hat multitasking isn't really that important especially with the save state functions you have on android and ios. I do think copy/paste is important though. I admit I do not use it a lot of my phone but there are some cases where it is just really usefull to have. Besides that I doubt a copy/paste function is something that is very hard to implement so not having this just weird even though it is probably very under utilized.

As for gaming i'm still wondering how imporant this will be when people decide which phone they want. I think at the moment and near future nobody will really care. Movie, audio, social networking etc are probably far more imporant. Also because a phone is much more suited for things like that. Gaming with only a touchscreen and no gaming ergonomics still is a bit awkward to be especially if you consider that if you care about gaming there are options which are far cheaper than a 500 euro phone and will over much better games.

Probably gaming on a phone will be mostly for games that are more about killing some time than lets say a mobile CoD or whatever I think. Atleast for now.

edit: Just some anecdotal evidence on gaming on phones from my experience. Me and my friends all like gaming and we are in our early 20's, I suppose we would be the main target group (money enough to be these expensive phones but still enough free time to also use them). But none of us cares much about gaming on phones. Basically the argument is: If I want mobile gaming I'll get my ds/psp because that just works much better and that way I don't have to bother about my battery being dead after a couple of hours.

You don't need a $500 dollar smartphone to take advantage of mobile phone gaming possible on Android based and iphones. You can take advantage of both markets with a $99 dollar purchase of a phone and contract. While in the US at least.

As we move further into the future, smartphones will become more and more ubiquitous (as smartphones and associated data plans become cheaper) to the point where its not going to be a decision of purchasing a gaming handheld or a smartphone. It will be more a kin to taking advantage of attractive software of hardware you already own versus buying dedicated hardware to take advantage of attractive software.

Last quarter, Apple and Android moved 7-8 million smartphones in the US alone and ~18 million worldwide. We may be seeing a 100 million smartphones with Android/Apple like functionality moving annually worldwide in a few short years. Developers are going to be naturally attracted to this userbase and dedicate massive resources to attract gamers to their wares. Also the tech behind these phones in terms of touch screen precision/accuracy and probable additions like track pads will only enhance playability over time.

Put it this way, I have a PSP and its provided me with the pinnacle of my handheld gaming experience within the last couple of years, but I carry my phone with me everywhere I go. And I'm constantly looking for titles on the marketplace when I get bored of my current crop of cheap titles (this more applicable to my old iphone than my galaxy s) and I am exposed to the latest offering everytime I go on the marketplace with the ability to look up reviews on the spot. Smartphones will end up being the biggest mobile gaming market due to sheer convenience and accessibility. Any future handheld that may try to mimic this convenience and accessibility might as well drop cell tech in if you're talking a monthly data plan.

Back