[PC] Max Payne 3

At the same time, I wouldn't mind it if a volcano blew its top and rained ash upon the city. How dreary could it get? :) Fictional Seattle-Tacoma area might have been neat. Familiar city plus lots of forest around.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind it if a volcano blew its top and rained ash upon the city. How dreary could it get? :) Fictional Seattle-Tacoma area might have been neat. Familiar city plus lots of forest around.

So what you're saying is you wanted to play Remedy's other game, Alan Wake ;)

When one of the definate key elements of Max Payne has always been the melancholic & noir-esque setting, yes, it is a deal breaker for many people.
Games aren't defined only by their gameplay mechanics.

I'm pretty sure you could convey that feeling with Ohio as a setting, if done appropriately. The concept of "Noir" isn't a product of just NYC and NYC alone. And obviously, if this were the case and tradition of sorts, maybe then the third would take place there. Personally, MP has a lot of larger issues, outside of where it takes place, that I worry about. Like it being the same game for the third time in a row. Personally, I don't think the second one offer much flair outside of what was already accomplished in MP1, except revamped graphics. In fact, I don't even really remember his family's death even being a part of it, outside of being briefly mentioned.

Max took revenge in the first game, there's no reason he couldn't move on in the following.
Would be sad to have a character stuck in the past.

I like Max Payne taking place during a cold winter in NY.
Mind you, I'd be fine with a hot summer nigh in NY too ;p

It's just that snow = christmas = happiness clashes very well with the gunfights and character mood.

Better give the designers some challenge to do something in a new setting, though as already mentioned, gameplay desicions might be boring a third time around.

I'm pretty sure you could convey that feeling with Ohio as a setting, if done appropriately. The concept of "Noir" isn't a product of just NYC and NYC alone. And obviously, if this were the case and tradition of sorts, maybe then the third would take place there. Personally, MP has a lot of larger issues, outside of where it takes place, that I worry about. Like it being the same game for the third time in a row. Personally, I don't think the second one offer much flair outside of what was already accomplished in MP1, except revamped graphics. In fact, I don't even really remember his family's death even being a part of it, outside of being briefly mentioned.

There's plenty of possible locations Max could move to without losing what made the games Max Payne games on the setting side - Brazil/Rio just isn't one of them IMO.

Heck set it somewhere in Northern Alaska during the winter and you can have snow and darkness even during the daytime. :p

Regards,
SB

How about getting to Max's roots (not "in-game sense" but really), and Finland, we got 'dayless day' here, in quite a big portion of finland the sun actually doesn't rise at all at one point of the winter :p
(We also have "nightless night" aka sun won't set at all during one point of summer)

How about getting to Max's roots (not "in-game sense" but really), and Finland, we got 'dayless day' here, in quite a big portion of finland the sun actually doesn't rise at all at one point of the winter :p
(We also have "nightless night" aka sun won't set at all during one point of summer)

I'd be down with that, we don't see many games set in Finland, and its a beautiful country.

Regards,
SB

You guys lost me :p
Max Payne had a cliche ridden story, that was actually good (and by good, I mean entertaining) because it was so cliche!
Was it bad film noir?
Or perhaps, just a bad gangster story? With a bit of conspiracy and the end of times from Norse mythology?!?
Whatever R does story wise, it can only be a few hundred times better than MP1...

Besides, there are so many different movies that fall under the film noir category...
The Third Man and the Maltese Falcon.
L.A Confidential and Heat.
Sin City.!
A History of Violence.
Blade Runner and Dark City.

Give them the benefit of the doubt...
They might come up with something actually better than the first two...

i8OMQb3tWEmY7.jpg

ibxZ0WR3TBtV7U.jpg

ib1O9NlSD7qf2H.jpg

ibm0tnHEJuykyQ.jpg

ibpH5Eo7FCDw6L.jpg

ibibUH6qsHfgvn.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ilCskzOOeM1cL.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ib0O2brARCa3y1.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iXlzSZYGlMnRs.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ihx3U8eEkPxTf.jpg

Epic failure.

Sad thing is, I'm playing Alan Wake right now, and the whole style and story telling reminds me very much of Max Payne. But yeah, rockstar went for the generic shooter look instead of making something that stands out.

Back