Pachter: Apple 2013 Console

I dunno if you guys saw this. It was posted on GAF:

Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters

By Daniel Eran Dilger

Published: 12:57 PM EST (09:57 AM PST)

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook reportedly visited the Bellevue, Washington headquarters of Valve Corporation earlier today, inciting questions about new potential for collaboration between the two companies.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ok_spotted_at_valves_gaming_headquarters.html

Well, there IS this thing:
Valve hiring hardware engineers for advanced gaming project!

Coincidence? Connection? Dunno. But, it's interesting nevertheless!

Fact is we don't really know what Valve's up to these days. They're finishing up DOTA2, but other than that there hasn't been A PEEP out of them for years as to any future plans. Another Portal game? Unknown. More people Left 4 Dead? Unknown. Any more Halved Lives? Unknown!

So they're cooking up something big for sure methinks. Half-Life 3, L4D 3 AND Portal 3 as Valve/Apple Console launch exclusives! You heard it here first. :mrgreen:

Well, there IS this thing:
Valve hiring hardware engineers for advanced gaming project!

Coincidence? Connection? Dunno. But, it's interesting nevertheless!

Fact is we don't really know what Valve's up to these days. They're finishing up DOTA2, but other than that there hasn't been A PEEP out of them for years as to any future plans. Another Portal game? Unknown. More people Left 4 Dead? Unknown. Any more Halved Lives? Unknown!

So they're cooking up something big for sure methinks. Half-Life 3, L4D 3 AND Portal 3 as Valve/Apple Console launch exclusives! You heard it here first. :mrgreen:

What's even more interesting is that Apples CEO was recently seen leaving the Valve headquarters. Now adding Valves sudden interest in hardware and Apples sudden interest in gaming revenue...

Remember this quote?

“We’re thinking of trying to figure out how to do the equivalent of the incremental approach in software design and try to figure out how would you get something similar to that in the hardware space as well,”

Now Tim Cook was spotted at Valve...hmm.

Thing is, Valve are hardcore games, which is a niche, whereas they've had great success with simple, cheap games that appeal to everyone, including many who didn't think they'd be playing games when they bought their iOS devices.

Really don't see what Valve alone would offer Apple. Even if Apple wanted to get into consoles, they'd need other major publishers/developers like EA and Activision on board, not alienate these companies by appearing to cozy up to Valve.

I think core gaming complements Apple. I don't think Apple will rely on Valve solely. They seem to have good relationships with Epic and EA too.

Plus, Valve can evolve.

If Apple and Valve partnered on a console, I would think a lot of publishers would take notice very quickly. I doubt that's happening though.

Anyone here got any statistics for graphics performance of New iPad versus Vita?

its the same graphics chip I think .. but lacking dedicated graphics memory?

r.e. this whole thread, I'd love to see an iOS 'console' if that would just be a "mac TV on steroids" (a headless ipad).
octocore arm,octocore gpu.

I read somewhere that the if add 50-60% to the current iPad benchmarks that should, roughly, give you the VItas performance.

Steam on the Mac has been very good, I think, for gaming on the Mac. Could have been having more discussions about Steam on iOS, or about upcoming hardware refreshes that could bolster gaming etc. It wouldn't surprise me if Valve is pushing them to put better GPUs in their computers. Maybe the Mac mini could be the console Valve wants. They wouldn't really have to change anything about it, other than make it a little better on the GPU side. No changes to the OS are necessary. They could just say it's Steam certified and preload the software. Ship it with a gamepad/mic of some sort, and they're good to go. It would just be a regular Mac, but it has a predictable lifecycle. That's all wild speculation. We do know they were talking gaming on iOS or OSX, because that's the only business Valve is in.

STEAM.

That's what Valve can offer Apple. Valve has already done more for Mac gaming in a handful of years than Apple EVER did.

Apple is integrating GameCenter into the next Mac OS. Seems like they're interested in cultivating their own gaming community.

Mini isn't cheap. It uses Sandy Bridge so it uses the Intel GPU. Put in better GPU and you blow out the price even more.

Biggest problem wouldn't be price (at $800 they could certainly afford to put in a gpu), it's form factor. A mac mini is smaller than a wii (total volume).

Well there were rumors of Apple moving some of their computers to ARM cpus...

Maybe we'll see ARM + Rogue in a new version of the Mini...

Back