Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Move controllers could be attached so a two-headed dil... wand was formed. I can imagine such a controller would be suitable for driving games. All that is needed is a middle adapter which might include some buttons too, or be just a passive block.

A helmet that has attachment for a Move controller for head tracking, two move controlers in your hand, and a belt / holster accessory where Move wands coud be attached, that would form a functioning full body motion capturing system that'd work in less than optimal lighting.

Interesting tech demo, IMO:

[gt]63057[/gt]

The skeletal tracking was cool, looks responsive enough. Lighting wasnt too great either and seemed to track consistently. If they could track the waist it would be much better. Although its only an approximation based on 3 points it seems to work well enough to allow some form of portability for some natal games to PSMove. Lower body not tracked at all but thats probably the least important aspect anyhow. Big problem is you cant use the subcontroller so no way of moving around. They really should add a small analogue stick to the wand, even if just an unobtrusive PSP style nub. These are such obvious ommisions that i really cant see why they refuse to implement them, must be a reason its a shame its never asked directly in interviews.

The skeletal tracking was cool, looks responsive enough. Lighting wasnt too great either and seemed to track consistently. If they could track the waist it would be much better. Although its only an approximation based on 3 points it seems to work well enough to allow some form of portability for some natal games to PSMove. Lower body not tracked at all but thats probably the least important aspect anyhow. Big problem is you cant use the subcontroller so no way of moving around. They really should add a small analogue stick to the wand, even if just an unobtrusive PSP style nub. These are such obvious ommisions that i really cant see why they refuse to implement them, must be a reason its a shame its never asked directly in interviews.

To simplify the controller? I'm curious about that decision as well.

However Heavy Rain style movement could still be implemented. Could even do left trigger for forward, right for backward. With head angle or perhaps body angle to determine direction.

I would like to see GoW3 get patched for Move support. Can you imagine swinging the blades of chaos around?! How about throwing the blades into an enemy and pulling yourself into them (do you know the move I'm talking about)?! That would be sweet gaming bliss right there.

img6648-3102010-3.jpg

What the heck is that 2nd connector called EXT?

I am guessing it's just a temporary/contingency port to have a wired subcontroller connected to the motion controller. That way, they would be able to support 4 complete pairs of Playstation Move controllers. It may be removed in the production version (especially if not many people make noise about their announced MP arrangement).

The final version of PS Move controllers may differ slightly from what we are seeing now. Some reports seem to imply that Sony has not finalized the subcontroller features/design yet.

I am guessing it's just a temporary/contingency port to have a wired subcontroller connected to the motion controller.
They can do that through the USB port. Does anyone recognise the configuration of the EXT port? I can't make out any pins/contacts. Could it be more a locking mechanism for attaching extensions securely?

Also I notice here the charge contacts on the base of the Move. This suggests it comes with a recharging cradle.

I was thinking the permanent USB port is for registering and charging the controller, and the other for the temporary subcontroller connection. But yes, I could very well be wrong here.

Could any GDC attendee confirm or deny this ?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20246888&postcount=4614

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but there were two points of interest that caught my ears yesterday while at GDC.

1) Because of the accuracy with the Move, there's a balance issue in SOCOM 4 where Move players are dominating Controller players.

2) The Move was used on StarCraft, and not only did it work to make it playable, but the person could do serious competitive play with it.

Just some interesting nuggets of info.

PS - Playing with the pointer functionality, it did feel more accurate than the Wii to me.

EDIT: Still largely a work in progress:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20247028&postcount=4620

They're definitely still playing around with different control methods. I mentioned I wanted a toggle, actually; use the Move Button to switch from free aim to looking to avoid the whole aspect of bringing the point from the extreme edges of the screen back to the middle to stop looking.

But yeah, they're definitely still playing around with it. The solution now works, but only on a rudimentary level and while I'm happy with the sensitivity, they have bigger issues in place than getting the aiming up to snuff; the game runs nowhere near as good as MAG, and SOCOM really needs to climb out of the rut of being a sub-30 shooter.

Suffice it to say this is neither the final implementation of Move controls nor is it the most ideal version of the existing one. They'll definitely be playing around with things more than the few weeks they've been messing around with the tools and the days since it was actually implemented into the game.

I am waiting patiently for a hands-on.

If true, I am curious about the possibility of mixed PC, Mac and PS3 online gameplay. May be interesting to SOE.

I think the fact that Socom 4 with Move is easier is pretty much confirmed, though that does not necessarily mean good accuracy.
I'm curious though how they are going to solve the balance issue without splitting the playerbase.

As for Starcraft, is he talking about a mouse emulation tech demo on a PC?

I think the fact that Socom 4 with Move is easier is pretty much confirmed

Wow, how can you be so optimistic ? :p

I'm curious though how they are going to solve the balance issue without splitting the playerbase.

As for Starcraft, is he talking about a mouse emulation tech demo on a PC?

Yes, interesting problem. I wonder whether the PS Move scheme is closer to DS3 or mouse.

I am kinda skeptical about playing StarCraft in the living room. Need to at least see it in action. Can't really internalize the experience.

I played around with it today and was very impressed. Tracking is much more accurate than I imagined, and the fact that it uses a lit ball means it works very well (even better, in fact) in the dark. The object (sword, baseball bat) and painting demos were very intuitive. The body tracking demo was interesting, but it needed a bit more work.

All in all, I came away very impressed and will definitely buy one of these this year.

If they can get Move in the next COD and it gives a competative advantage it could help sell a whole lot of them.

Will the next COD be able to maintain graphics parity with MW2 much less the X360 version if one SPE is reserved for the Move?

Does anyone know how many SPE's are used by MW2?

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back