Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I really meant to say by "well known characters" is really actually not the characters, but the Nintendo way of thinking and being first to market. What Wii is to motion controls is what the iPhone is to smartphones. It was first to market with a touchscreen interface that works well without a stylus, now everyone is copying them but they're so far ahead and unlikely to be caught, but you never know. When people think touchscreen smartphone, they think iPhone, and when they think motion control gaming, they think Wii. I don't think Sony/MS will really be able to compete with that with their motion controls in terms of popularity. I hope I am wrong of course...

... except that it says:

Wonderbook has an extra descriptor. It can also be used for “toys, games and playthings; hand-held electronic games; electronic educational teaching games.

^_^

... except that it says:

Wonderbook has an extra descriptor. It can also be used for “toys, games and playthings; hand-held electronic games; electronic educational teaching games.”

^_^

Could still point to a Tablet PC or Kid themed e-reader. :) And less likely to be a PS3 wand/eyetoy application.

Or one of those new fangled "book" like things with e-ink reader on one side and Tablet PC like screen on the other side. Think 2 devices like that have already been announced by some companies.

Regards,
SB

Could still point to a Tablet PC or Kid themed e-reader. :) And less likely to be a PS3 wand/eyetoy application.

Or one of those new fangled "book" like things with e-ink reader on one side and Tablet PC like screen on the other side. Think 2 devices like that have already been announced by some companies.

Could be a PSP game too ! All we know right now is that it is registered as a game or a plaything, likely a casual/educational title. Unlikely to be a Tablet or an eReader hardware. Sony would have mentioned them in the trademark listing since it's a hot field right now. The eReader and Tablet hardware should be a Network Products Division wide effort (initiated from the HQ in Japan), not SCEE.

Could be a PSP game too ! All we know right now is that it is registered as a game or a plaything, likely a casual/educational title. Unlikely to be a Tablet or an eReader hardware. Sony would have mentioned them in the trademark listing since it's a hot field right now. The eReader and Tablet hardware should be a Network Products Division wide effort (initiated from the HQ in Japan), not SCEE.

I'm pretty sure the current Sony eReader is a SCEE product. And a Tablet based product would easily fit in with Vaio branded products which are also SCEE.

We'll have to wait and see. But I certainly see it as more of a kid oriented ereader/table combo like this Google device

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3710&p=4

Or probably more like this device, which would fit a descriptor such as Wonderbook perfectly and allow for all the described uses...

http://www.dailytech.com/EnTourage+eDGe+eReader+Hits+Preorder+Stage/article17327.htm

Although it could also be just a simple PSP variant relaunched with a focus on kids.

Either way, it just sounds more like a hardware device rather than an Eyetoy application.

Regards,
SB

I'm pretty sure the current Sony eReader is a SCEE product. And a Tablet based product would easily fit in with Vaio branded products which are also SCEE.

Do you have a link on this ?

So far SCEE is famous for casual games like SingStar, Buzz!, and EyePet (among other things). They also did PlayTV for the PAL territories. Does Sony eBook Reader Daily Edition work with any European 3G carrier now ? I only hear of a collaboration with AT&T 3G.

I'm not sure what other division the eReader would fit in. It's closely tied to computing in that it requires a computer to load books, although new version may not? Haven't looked at the new version. The Sony eReader store is a standard online shop. It's definitely not a consumer electronics device in the same way a Vaio isn't a consumer electronics device (TV, Stereo, etc.)

Regards,
SB

In there a division of Sony which specifically focuses on network/internet devices and applications?

The Sony eReader is just an extension of Sony's online computing push as far as I'm aware. As the only things I've been able to find is that during the re-org that Stringer pushed is that it would be under the umbrella of PSN.

Also that Steve Haber is president of Sony's Digital Reading Business Division. It seems odd to have an entire division for one product.

Regards,
SB

eBook is under Kaz's Network Product Division, but not under SCE. Probably a new unit since the tech is different from VAIO as well. Stringer hinted that "everyone" is working on tablet-based eBook. So the VAIO people probably has a MS Tablet computer too.

Possible ! Sounds like a code name rather than a consumer product though (e.g., Advanced.Something.Controller)

EDIT:
Or "Augmented.Reality.Controller". Oi, vg247, you may need to dig deeper.

I think the Wii has shown that it doesn't really matter what a piece of hardware is called, as long as it's marketed correctly and is something simple enough to stick in the brain. Arc seems fine to me.

However, given that the release date is said to be March this year, Sony really need to start with that marketing push now (well, really needed to do it some months ago) to push it into the common consciousness.

Of course, like the original PS3 release date of "global release Spring 2006", the Arc/Gem/Whatever was probably never really planned within Sony for March 2010, but rather the date was announced as a 'spoiler' for Natal. I really wouldn't expect to see it until towards the end of the year, late Summer at the earliest, with the full launch at E3 in June.

I believe Nintendo went through rigorous focus tests before settling on "Wii". It was mentioned in an Nintendo interview before/during launch. The issue is it sounds like Wee, but based on their tests and the way Nintendo presents the name, it turns out not to be a problem.

Then they have WiiSports, WiiFit, Wii-blah

IMHO, ARC is a little awkward to pronounce (sounds techie !). ARCserve is a backup solution. May be it'll be like Nintendo DS or PSP (Just acronyms). But at the moment, it doesn't ring any bell, or generate any sparks in me yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back