Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey, it's one of those game experiments I'd like to try. They can even do a pilot infomercial run to assess its market potential. ;-)

EDIT: Not sure if "Your Shape" is a good name for the game.

then again all u need is for a few wii-fit like games and youve got a huge success

Yes, I think the lag only matters in-context. In a slower pace and compelling game, it may not be a concern at all. The software and marketing is what counts.

e.g., In a make-up game, the user is more likely to move slowly. Then stack compelling services on top, and target the marketing at girls and women. Expose the game everywhere these people go. Once it gains popularity, it'd be like a WiiSports, WiiFit, Halo. That's assuming the game content is attractive to the target audience.

Also the things it does allow you to do could quite easily make up for its shortcomings. If a developer makes a game that needs a zero lag interface then they deserve to fail. In terms of current game genre natal does seem like it will be pretty limited, but natal is all about doing stuff totally new.
I have my doubts but it has huge potential for new experiences, we will just have to wait and see what is made of that potential.

When will we get to see Sonys device, isnt it due out in 3-6 months? Not too long but we havent seen a single proper full-price type game for it, we should be seeing bits and pieces by now of games in development surely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the things it does allow you to do could quite easily make up for its shortcomings. If a developer makes a game that needs a zero lag interface then they deserve to fail. In terms of current game genre natal does seem like it will be pretty limited, but natal is all about doing stuff totally new.
I have my doubts but it has huge potential for new experiences, we will just have to wait and see what is made of that potential.

When will we get to see Sonys device, isnt it due out in 3-6 months? Not too long but we havent seen a single proper full-price type game for it, we should be seeing bits and pieces by now of games in development surely.
Do you mean like RE5, or do you mean some other "full-price type game for it"? Also, I was wondering why does a game have to be full-priced to register with you? I think Under Siege might be a decent use for the motion controls (for showing flexibility...genre-wise). I don't know of a motion controller that has been used in an RTS game, have you (maybe I just didn't hear about it)?

The Sony thing was Spring 2010, right?
Yes.

It'll only be function as a mouse though, so not really revolutionary.
I don't know what the full controller scheme for Under Siege will be like, so I'm not as certain as you. Is ANYTHING revolutionary that this motion controllers can do when you go by your statement above? These things can almost always be traced back to the EyeToy and the mouse as their roots (swing an arm to move a sword, move arms and legs to hit an object, etc), right?

Do these things need to be revolutionary rather than evolutionary? Maybe I'm not understanding you clearly.

It's probably most impactful to showcase "Gem" in a Blu-ray game _and_ built-in PS3 apps. About 40-50% of PS3 users are not hooked up to the net (to get PSN games). How much that Blu-ray game costs will depend on the game "size" as well as Sony's plan.

That makes sense, Patsu. Do we know if games will be packaged with these motion controllers? I know of the montage done at TGS. Do you think it would safe to assume that some of those games will be included with the device?

I don't know what the full controller scheme for Under Siege will be like, so I'm not as certain as you. Is ANYTHING revolutionary that this motion controllers can do when you go by your statement above?
Well EyeToy didn't have proper 3D tracking. So the E3 demos of PS Motion, like drawing and aiming the bow, are unique. Likewise careful 3D placement of objects like the building example, or proper 3D swordfights that track 1:1, or the Natal motion tracking so you can throw an object into the screen. Whereas aiming in an FPS wouldn't be revolutionary as we've had lightguns for donkey's years, and your typical minigames have been done in various forms across EyeToy and Wii.

That makes sense, Patsu. Do we know if games will be packaged with these motion controllers? I know of the montage done at TGS. Do you think it would safe to assume that some of those games will be included with the device?

Why not ? If the controllers are sold standalone, they will be expensive due to overhead in distribution. If it's bundled with games, the overhead will be hidden/combined.

The more interesting question is: Can Sony find a flagship title like WiiSports that responds very well with the masses, vs a very targeted one, like the make-up app for women I mentioned above. The latter may be more effective in communicating value, while the former will have more legs (but _may_ be slower in adoption). In this example, given that women alone is a huge market, I think marketers may prefer the fast adoption approach.

Would be interesting to see how it goes.

Yeah, EoJ may be too niche (Also need enough space and additional setup to play). Doesn't even fall under a mainstream game genre. The gameplay and technology is amazing, but the marketing is not well thought through.

I think the success of other card games was alluring. The biggest disappointment was no more than a few niche attempts. Unless you really know people are going to bite, you need to cast the net wide to find the rare super-success that'll drive demand. EoJ was a good attempt at something novel (if it supported more than 2 players I'd have found use for it) but they needed far more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back