Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Wii's sales don't convince you either?

I don't exactly see what this has to do with my comment.

Either way, I think there is a sizable difference between a product that retails for $200 and gives you a complete experience, and a product that could run you anywhere from $150 to $450 (depending on your status as a consumer, own, don't own, etc).

Of everything they've shown, the only thing I can see being a commercial success at this point is Dance Central. I don't think Kinectamals or Kinect Adventures have any staying power, as the 360's age demographic is a bit different from the Wii's. I understand they are trying to expand the market, but I just don't see that happening. We'll see though.

New video of The Sorcery, for PS Move. My favourite parts are when the player drinks the potion and when he creates a whirlwind. It looks like a pretty fun and good game.

IMHO, the amazing thing about the Sorcery demo is that everything works seemingly effortlessly and in one continuous motion. There is no frequent calibration. I don't have to worry about nitty gritty details (FPS-style aiming reticule). When I draw a line, a line appears in the game world. When I drink a potion, I transform. When I raise and twirl my hands, a tornado rises out of no where. Moreover, I can deepen the experience by combining these simple elements. It's like a canvas of magic.

I can't quite figure out how he walks the apprentice without a nunchuck though.

If they can keep the entire game simple and deep, and the creature AI strong, I might just play this over and over, each time with different gestures and mix.

People... just to remind you there are rules against arguing about peoples motivations in these forums. Not speaking to anyone in particular, just saying that because I've seen several posts in this thread which have been graciously overlooked by our resident Thor.

My personal problem with the staged Forza demo is that it was acted out. Why not show footage of someone playing it rather than try to pull a fast one?

Last year Sony did the last min Move demo and in many ways it was far more impressive watching some guys messing with the tech, it's like that footage of the eyetoy software that you can draw and turn into something playable - I never get bored of that sort of stuff.

WRT Kinect in the UK we still have no idea on price, and Move has some odd US to UK conversions at $50/£40 and $30/£30!?

Well at Amazon Kinect is #2 and Move is #35 or something. I just post it because it seems like the forums reacted incredibly viciously to kinect, but they are the hardcore and it's very possible kinect could be a hit anyway with the casual market.

IMHO, the amazing thing about the Sorcery demo is that everything works seemingly effortlessly and in one continuous motion. There is no frequent calibration. I don't have to worry about nitty gritty details (FPS-style aiming reticule). When I draw a line, a line appears in the game world. When I drink a potion, I transform. When I raise and twirl my hands, a tornado rises out of no where. Moreover, I can deepen the experience by combining these simple elements. It's like a canvas of magic.

I can't quite figure out how he walks the apprentice without a nunchuck though.

If they can keep the entire game simple and deep, and the creature AI strong, I might just play this over and over, each time with different gestures and mix.

Sony stressed the sorcery demo as "the advantage of buttons" type of thing, but while watching it struck me you could do it with Natal. Just put spell cycle on a left hand wave, cast on the right.

But then I remember you have to navigate. Can be done on subcontroller with Move, Not sure about Natal. You could walk in place or something, but that would be pretty lame...

Yup, I don't think forums will ever reflect the popularity of Kinect. But the same could be said of the Wii in many ways.

Casuals and traditional non gamers just don't go to these types of forums.

Regards,
SB

Well at Amazon Kinect is #2 and Move is #35 or something. I just post it because it seems like the forums reacted incredibly viciously to kinect, but they are the hardcore and it's very possible kinect could be a hit anyway with the casual market.

Yea, I definitely think Kinect is going to be a bigger success than Move, especially considering MS backs their initiatives to a much greater degree than Sony does - as devs like Joker has mentioned.

The tech bloggers seem to think so too:

True to Sony form, PlayStation Move out-rawrs the Nintendo Wii's motion controls on paper, using the PlayStation Eye camera to track the Move controllers more accurately, with real depth-mapping. (And the technical demos of the hardware are just straight up neat.) But like Mark says, it's just Wii HD. It's derivative, not powerful. You wave sticks around. (It's not even superior to the Wii, at least in some game demos: "The combat? Laggy. And I never felt like my punches were registered the way I threw them onscreen.")

The home console hardware that garnered the most attention—judging by people's reactions, the lines at E3, and our own experiences—is Microsoft's completely controller-less Kinect, which seemingly promises something completely new. You are the controller with Kinect. That's killer hardware.

http://gizmodo.com/5567221/how-sony-lost-the-videogame-hardware-race

Oh I think it will be a smash hit with the casuals. I expect it to be a smash hit in general.

For people like us we see its shortcomings and we are a bit turned off. But the casual is easier impressed and more forgiving.

I expect it to sell like hotcakes even if Move happens to be more functional. I dont see Move's concept that convincing and impressive. It sounds more like the Wii experience. Whereas Kinect communicates a step further and an experience someone would expect from science fiction

The combination of good marketing, concept and experience (even with its shortcomings) ring very well in the ears of the average Joe. People are already excited simply with the idea of motion control and that you supposedly have full control of the action by simply using your body.

Kids will be super excited with that, and the casual grown ups see this as a technological break through. They wont study the product from the insight out like we do.

The product its at the point where it can be acceptable and impress

This is one of those games that can make Move so fun! I wonder why they don't use the navigation controller. Very entertaining and enjoyable stuff

Is the potion drinking why people applaud the moment he turns into a rat?
Well, okay, I just chuckled aloud reading your comment. Nice sense of humour. He plays like the Wizard of Oz, :smile: as it were, that's why they applauded him.

Another interesting thing about motion controllers is that developers should allow people to customize the movements.

I mean, drinking a potion can be great and fun for a while, but after the eighth time you drink a potion the novelty wears off.

So creating a new move to drink the potion or other combinations would add replayability to the game.

I feel really sad I had to read that. I don't remember, ever, reading such an article full of hatred. :mad:

The author of the article shouldn't even be considered a journalist.

I mean it could have been written by a fanboy, but if that were the case.., those are actually FUN (I must admit some fanboy responses and thoughts make me laugh out loud, especially taking into account they are unpaid by their favourite company).

But an actual journalist writing something along the lines of that article is actually a sheer hater. I have never heard of that page before and I am glad it's the last time I'm goint to read an article of them.

The last sentence of the article is like one of those Horatio's one liners in CSI Miami, just the hater version.

Actually, Gizmodo is a prominent tech blog, probably the biggest and they are definitely independent and not paid hacks.

I wouldn't call it hatred, it's more frustration at how a once great company has lost it's way.

And their 'we miss Sony' articles are generally pretty spot on. It's hard to disagree with this article for instance:
http://gizmodo.com/5477633/how-sony-lost-its-way

What's also clearly evident is that Sony who last gen, was far and away the biggest player is now, only a generation later trailing upstarts like MS (who aren't exactly agile and strategic themselves), despite having the best hardware and a plethora of AAA studios bashing out titles for them.

I thought some journo already played some racing game on Kinect and even made comments about the experience.

Didn't the early Natal enabled Burnout demo allowed you to sit and race? i remember you could accelerate by moving your foot forward so you would think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Gizmodo is a prominent tech blog, probably the biggest and they are definitely independent and not paid hacks.

If my memory still serves me, Engadget is bigger. Gizmodo is "just" a blog. Sometimes their analysis and opinions can be off also, like any other blog sites and posters.

I wouldn't call it hatred, it's more frustration at how a once great company has lost it's way.

And their 'we miss Sony' articles are generally pretty spot on. It's hard to disagree with this article for instance:
http://gizmodo.com/5477633/how-sony-lost-its-way

What's also clearly evident is that Sony who last gen, was far and away the biggest player is now, only a generation later trailing upstarts like MS (who aren't exactly agile and strategic themselves), despite having the best hardware and a plethora of AAA studios bashing out titles for them.

Sony is doing much much better than in 2005. I think we will see more interesting content and technologies from them. However they do have "big company" issues. Weighted down by their traditional CE legacy, their business model is also a little dated.

But they are turning around.

If my memory still serves me, Engadget is bigger. Gizmodo is "just" a blog. Sometimes their analysis and opinions can be off also, like any other blog sites and posters.

Sony is doing much much better than in 2005. I think we will see more interesting content and technologies from them. However they do have "big company" issues. Weighted down by their traditional CE legacy, their business model is also a little dated.

But they are turning around.

They're both 'just blogs'.

I follow both, Gizmodo is longer running and more 'cult'.
Engadget is more straight up facts. It's like Kotaku vs Joystick.

Gizmodo also has all the big stories, like the iPhone 4 prototype leak. Gizmodo is also more independent, and will speak out regardless of advertiser lashback.

And anyway, actual devs like Joker seem to agree with Gizmodo's point of view.

This is one of those games that can make Move so fun! I wonder why they don't use the navigation controller. Very entertaining and enjoyable stuff

Because it's Time Crisis. The most you get in Time Crisis is cover.

As to engadget vs. gizmodo, you're not really winning with either, but gawker blogs function in a more dishonest, muckraking fashion. Unless something has changed, writers are encouraged to get as many uniques per article as possible, which is partly why Kotaku is half troll-baiting snark, half news (well, okay, one third news, one third troll-baiting, one third cakes).

Yap, they are both blogs. Traffic-wise, Engadget is bigger (I believe I got this from Wired).

Yes, but historically Engadget has been more of a follower, compared to Gizmodo, which are more radical and opinionated.

Engadget wouldn't really comment on something like this and if they did they would be far more guarded and neutral.

Nevertheless, Gizmodo are still heavyweights and wield considerable influence over the tech world.

And as I mentioned before, look at what the actual devs and tech commentators are saying, and stuff like Amazon preorders for Kinect/Move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back