Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albert Penello said:
Sony's show went down yesterday. Motion controller, new PSP and so on. Thoughts?As far as motion control goes, I can't speak for what anyone else is doing, but when we thought about that challenge, we did so knowing that in the traditional handheld game controller sense, we already have the best controller around. But the challenge with motion control is that traditional solutions still have to have buttons, thumbsticks and so on. So we said to ourselve, if we're going to face this challenge of bringing entirely new customers in, the buttons... the controls really are the last barrier. I could teach my mom to play Burnout all day long, but she will never get it. She got NATAL in five seconds. It's never been about replacing the controller, but creating different experiences for different types of player.

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/630/e3-exclusive-interview-with-xboxs-albert-penello

Tommy McClain

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/630/e3-exclusive-interview-with-xboxs-albert-penello
It's never been about replacing the controller, but creating different experiences for different types of player.
Tommy McClain

yes... 50 million gamers.... meet the other 50 million people who would never pick up a controller and feel like the wii is for kids. Where as XBLive offers a near complete multimedia solution for the average adult, 1v100 or other game shows and "games" (applications) that they may actually learn to play since they don't need a controller. :LOL:

Yes, all the console motion sensing controllers, Wii, PS Eye/EyeToy, Natal, PSMC cater very well to casuals. They all can be grasped within seconds (or just by watching a TV ad). Only Wii and PS Eye are in the market today though. Contrary to what MS execs claimed, Wii has proven that the buttons are not necessarily a barrier -- even for casuals.

In fact, whether it's 3D motion tracking, 2D tracking, color tracking, yes controller, no controller, etc. are not so relevant in this context. There are pros and cons for these approaches. The application and marketing are the differentiators.

We do realize that there's a segment of the population that doesn't actually want to play videogames? Or are we positing that somewhere between wii owners and people who only play solitaire there's another expanded market the size of the one the wii tapped into who's looking for even more simplified experiences?

Wii has proven that the buttons are not necessarily a barrier -- even for casuals. .

to play wii bowling once a month with their kids maybe or wii fit which is body motion. you are still excluding a majority. think outside the box and down the road. 5-7 years. this is bigger than eyetoy (concept wise) and the comparison is not congruent with Natal IMO. Especially if it gets bundled into future units.

We do realize that there's a segment of the population that doesn't actually want to play videogames? Or are we positing that somewhere between wii owners and people who only play solitaire there's another expanded market the size of the one the wii tapped into who's looking for even more simplified experiences?

now you're getting it ;)

yes that's the segment they are going for. well not the hard core will never play a game but the, "looks interesting but if it did this or that and I didn't need to pik up one of those thingys"

Actually Im talking about people who won't even know they want to play it until some Dev with an Ms SDK shows them how and why they will.

Last edited by a moderator:
to play wii bowling once a month with their kids maybe or wii fit which is body motion. you are still excluding a majority. think outside the box and down the road. 5-7 years. this is bigger than eyetoy (concept wise) and the comparison is not congruent with Natal IMO

Why is Wii only bowling ? I see Wii Fit and other software too whenever I visit my Wii friends. Why does "no controller" automatically mean they will play it more than Wii ? There are apps that are controller friendly or unsuitable for "no controller".

5-7 years down the road, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony all will have something more and new to show. While EyeToy is "only" a camera, it's the software that runs it. As a 5-6 year old technology, it already does many of what Natal wants to do but not released yet. Sony can certainly improve on it further (PSMC is the next step for them). As long as Sony and Nintendo continue to plough on their base, EyeToy/PS Eye and Wii will continue to evolve.

From your MS centric view, perhaps their future is all you could see. But the world is a big place, and full of opportunities. Think outside the box indeed !

Why is Wii only bowling ? I see Wii Fit and other software too whenever I visit my Wii friends. 5-7 years down the road, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will have something more to show.

because the "casual-casual" only do those simple tricks... wii fit and a wii sports game with their kids. (I'm simplifying of course). Holding a trigger and waving your hand is not exactly being sold on buttons. ;)

yes 5-7 years and I suspect full body will be more applicable at that time. why> because hand motions are simple and limiting. Natal is endless and the hardware software will only get better.

Honestly I'm far from convinced that wii U 360 U ps3 has most of the potential video gamer market.
I think Natal (as a tech) has more chance of capturing casual market than Wii can.

Of course there is the business side, and the fact that MS doesn't really innovate, even worse when it comes to video games. Then again they have the resources, so I have full confidence in MS that they will capture more than current market within couple of gens.

The gimmicks sell the consoles, but in the end games have to be sold as well.

That gamer which is even more casual than the Wii gamer won't buy a lot of games, unless he get hooked into spending some substantial time gaming ... at which point he will want a comfortable control method for longer duration play.

because the "casual-casual" only do those simple tricks... wii fit and a wii sports game with their kids. (I'm simplifying of course). Holding a trigger and waving your hand is not exactly being sold on buttons. ;)

Wii Fit and Wii Sports represent huge successes built on assorted controller technologies. Wii is a brand. It is not tied to any controller technology. It will use whatever technology that makes sense.

yes 5-7 years and I suspect full body will be more applicable at that time. why> because hand motions are simple and limiting. Natal is endless and the hardware software will only get better.

EyeToy is not just hand motion, and it's already available 5 years ago. Neither is Wii Fit a hand motion device. As long as the companies continue to invest, Wii, PS Eye, and Natal will continue to evolve endlessly. They can all find their own niches in the market -- provided they execute well.

The gimmicks sell the consoles, but in the end games have to be sold as well.
Totally.
That gamer which is even more casual than the Wii gamer won't buy a lot of games, unless he get hooked into spending some substantial time gaming ... at which point he will want a comfortable control method for longer duration play.
While I agree, there two aspects to success of any control scheme: Usability and fan factor
I think Natal's biggest challenge (apart from good games to utilize its tech) is usability and MS did absolutely terrible job of presenting that. On the other hand, if the hard tech foundation is there, the only thing left is soft tech and Natal's software can potentially evolve much faster and better than any physical control layout, with much more freedom.

Wii Fit and Wii Sports represent huge successes built on assorted controller technologies. Wii is a brand. It is not tied down to any controller technology. It will use whatever technology that makes sense.

EyeToy is not just hand motion, and it's already available 5 years ago. Neither is Wii Fit a hand motion device. As long as the companies continue to invest, Wii, PS Eye, and Natal will continue to evolve endlessly. They can all find their own niches in the market -- provided they execute well.

I hear what you are saying there but Sony didn't demo an eye toy solution lately. ;) the way you have been discussing this I would have thought they did. It was a hand held wand. And I disagree wii is a hand held only solution except for wii fit. Natal is already leaps ahead in this "race" for the future of motion gaming IMO.

I hear what you are saying there but Sony didn't demo an eye toy solution lately. ;) the way you have been discussing this I would have thought they did. It was a hand held wand. And I disagree wii is a hand held only solution except for wii fit. Natal is already leaps ahead in this "race" for the future of motion gaming IMO.

*Sigh*

Tell me what you hear at 0:16s - 0:22s

Notice that he also mentioned color tracking, which is more than (or different from) mere 3D motion tracking.

... and this E3 2009 trailer:

... using tech demoes we saw a year ago. Check out the drawing recognition (also not 3D motion tracking).

Their problem is the PS3 price point at the moment, but in 2010, who knows ?

Many people laugh at Nintendo's Vitality sensor, but Nintendo can get the user to do free form exercises (without any motion tracking technologies). If the purpose is there, people will do it and measure their vitality for wellness purposes. The correctness of motion may or may not be important (Track so much for what ?! Can Natal even see heartbeats ?)

I know the 3D tracking technology is sexy, but there are 1001 ways to skin the cat (and MS is trying to buy up all of them :)). If you can perform most of the tasks using a simpler and cheaper technology, it can be an advantage too. Then stack better stuff on top as the user base evolves.

Sorry been replying while playing Red faction I'll listen tomorrow when not on my phone. I trust they mantioned it but they are "selling" the wand. They have had a couple years to make eye toy viable ( we have a ps2 one here) so far it is not what Natal appears to be going for

I don't understnad what you mean. Which axis on the controller and which point on the screen?
The axis of the wand (not XYZ!), along the length of the wand in a linear ray. As a laser beam from a laser pointer.

All it knows is whether the screen is above or below, but nothing else. Maybe you could calibrate to do accurate screen pointing, but I've never seen it used, and I've never seen it in game.
There's a calibration tool in the Wii menus. This sets up the triangulation so the screen is mapped to motion. You can point on the screen keeping the XY position of the Wiimote static and rotating it on a point. You can rotate to point at any part of the screen and have the Wiimote cursor land pretty much there. It's sensitive enough that it picks up the wobble of the hand! Although range isn't great. You have to be close enough to the TV/sensor bar otherwise it jitters like crazy or loses input competely. Triangulation isn't truly pixel-accurate or screen-aware, but it's as good an approximation as we can hope to get, and is very effective, just as GPS has no idea what the Earth looks like, but can locate where you are on it to a very small fraction of the Earth's area.

That's true, there probably isn't any rotation, but as a simple pointer is that even important? I was only originally responding to the claim that Natal couldn't be used as a pointing device.
Okay, yeah, you can do pointing like that, moving your arm more like mouse, as EyeToy does it. Natal will be fine for interfaces. I was talking about a pointing device as a handgun though. For playing a shooter where you hold the gun, like a lightgun, it needs something extra (I assume). And likewise baseball/tennis, I think. In golf, the rotation of the club may be inferred from arm positions if you hold it right. I admit I'm guessing at this point looking at the tech and demos and seeing what wasn't shown. ;) I would love to be proved wrong. A single camera system that can do the whole Wii thing would be perfectly elegant.

Regards lag, EyeToy had a consderable lag. I'd expect a couple of frames minimum with any imaging based device, though if the camera is faster than the screen refresh (PSEye's 120 Hz mode) that may be less.

Sorry been replying while playing Red faction I'll listen tomorrow when not on my phone. I trust they mantioned it but they are "selling" the wand. They have had a couple years to make eye toy viable ( we have a ps2 one here) so far it is not what Natal appears to be going for
I disagree. Natal's lifestyle vids match very much the EyeToy stuff. Milo is something different, but that's a particular software application. It's wrong to assume all Natal development will be centered around that sort of experience. Milo is just a way of showcasing the different Natal features in an original package. There's a little more scope in Natal for interacting with an on-screen character, although EyePet shows PSEye is still very capable.

At this juncture, MS have not shown any more real-world wonderment for Natal than Sony did with it's PR for EyeToy. Lots of possibilities, but what real products are there? Sony never followed up effectively. MS might well do, but at the same time Sony are going to be scrambling for products too. So if this camera tech does take off, they'll be much a like overall I think. Much depends on how advanced MS's techniques are, if they can get results that the competition can't match.

They are showing a tech demo. The final product may not be a wand. The product name may be Eye-something to keep up with the tradition, or may be driven by the app, or both (I have no idea).

For people who already have PS Eye, you will need the ultrasonic motion controller. If you don't have one yet, then you buy both together. You'll get:
* High precision 3D remote/mouse for sustained, general usage
* Full body, hands free motion tracking (2D based) for quick access/fun
* Color tracking, head tracking, drawing recognition, voice/speech recognition for specific application use. They can add more features or hardware later. The possibility is endless.

Not sure why you said it's only a wand. PS Eye is needed for all the above functions.

The PS3 motion demo was hardly done with the guys wrist. His gestures are fairly large. I'm assuming it could be calibrated for smaller gestures and it was just done that way for emphasis on stage.

eh? he showed with subtle movements how accurate it was, twisting the controller slowly to show how it 'identically' followed his movements - they then did the writing part and explained (again) how precise it was.

eh? he showed with subtle movements how accurate it was, twisting the controller slowly to show how it 'identically' followed his movements - they then did the writing part and explained (again) how precise it was.
Indeed, 'submillimetre accuracy'! A little bit overkill, unless there's a 'zoom in' mode where fine motions will be needed. In fact i'd be very interested how accurate it is. If they could get the tech into a pen, they could have a stylus interface. Would be a great PC IO device, if you could use a stylus as a mouse, then to point at the screen directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back