Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

Fabulous! For some reason the Google video player one works... after downloading the player and stuff... My company's ICT blocked a lot of stuff lately...

Anyway, the game looks absolutely magnificent.. The battle was awesome!

Looks good. Effects are spectacular and the graphics overall very impressive.
I'm not sure about the art though, could be better imo.

Wonder how free-roaming the game will be. In the video they didn't stray much from the road. Is the pretty scenery there just for decoration, or is it to be ecplored.
NOt sure I like the selectable quest type structure either.
Give me a free roaming world map and selectable quests and quick teleporting until later in the game, but let me free roam!

That 720p video is some of the most enticing next-gen footage I've seen so far. The battle system looks truly awesome, and the environments remind me of the various 3dmark "Nature" scenes. Also nice to see a game where the first media we get is undoubtedly real gameplay.

Wonder how free-roaming the game will be. In the video they didn't stray much from the road. Is the pretty scenery there just for decoration, or is it to be ecplored.
NOt sure I like the selectable quest type structure either.
Give me a free roaming world map and selectable quests and quick teleporting until later in the game, but let me free roam!

The selectable quest structure is the biggest turn-off, in my opinion, because it really takes a lot away from the typical RPG fun. Usually you have to work to find quest and to solve it. Most of the time you'll go after several quests simultaneously and you just solve the one which you find the solution for.
The selectable quest is probably there to limit the amount the character can stray from the path -that is meant literally, i.e. little to none explorative gameplay-.

Yes, I agree, that was also my first thought when the quest selection screen came up (except for how great it looked ;)). But if the battles are as engaging and fresh as they seem to be from the trailer then I'm willing to forgive that. Though I hope there's at least some explorative element there.

with all these new videos, and the network traffic on them, I just got to finish the d/l and have a look at this.

art is very pretty, the combat system looks good, I like the "transformer" thing.

very good! :cool:

My god, that was absolutely beautiful! What impressed me most was the combat system, as it seemed to be very interactive and dynamic while at the same time not relying on the cookie cutter turned based JRPG formula. Visually, the characters, environments and animation were totally stunning and well beyond what many other Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 titles have demonstrated! Has this been confirmed real time? I hate to walk away so impressed only to find out later that it was just a target render.

Hmm..I just watched a bigger clearer version of the video..and I feel the same way (looks awesome)..except the textures in the backround (and on the characters) do look a bit sub par.

BUt..the superb lighting and draw distance makes up for it for sure.

..so I have a question:

Is the world real 3d and free to explore like in oblivion?
because watching the videos I kind of got this impression.
or is it predetermined like most jrpg's but presented in a 3d way?

It really depends on what you mean.

There are plenty of JRPGs that are both 3D and let you 'explore' wherever you want. But if you're talking about fixed plotlines and a--->b--->c story progression, then this will probably stay true to that form.

Normally in modern JRPGs, the game starts and you have limited exploration options. As the game goes on, you are allowed to 'freestyle' a little bit more; explore, do side quests, etc... Actually, forget modern. That's just sort of how it is in all of them since Dragon Quest. So it's not like you're totally shackled, as some often make it seem.

I am talking about the first.
example:
in the very nice video, the hero runs up to a bridge, then after that, he engages some soldiers.
can I jump off that bridge and go underneath it? can I sneak past the guards by going around them?
you get the idea..

example:
in the very nice video, the hero runs up to a bridge, then after that, he engages some soldiers.
can I jump off that bridge and go underneath it? can I sneak past the guards by going around them?
you get the idea..

From what I saw, and my (vast) experience with JRPGs... no, probably not.

That was a definite inflection point in the plot, and you wouldn't be allowed to avoid it.

You have to approach games like this with a different mentality than you would a game like Oblivion. This is like reading - (what will hopefully be) - a great book... whereas a typical Western RPG gives you more of a sandbox environment.

oh...
after oblivion, last game I tried to aproach with that mentality was enchanted arms , but I failed! ...miserably, too! :LOL:
I guess if I was playing the game on this beautiful video, I'd look like the guy that was playing the trusty bell one you commented on
Now, the person actually playing it however has some of the worst spacial reasoning skills I've ever seen in my life! What was going on there in the beginning?
:LOL:
I want sandbox JRPG!! dammit!!

thank you for clarifying this up xboxdestroyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, well... I guess now that you mention it, if the guy playing the game was more used to an Oblivion, I'd understand his confusion at not being able to walk into anything and everything. For me I guess, it was just so natural to differentiate between the 'path' and the scenery.

example:
you get the idea..

Well, the game has a selectable quest structure, i.e. you select the quest you want to take and then solve it - you could call it mission-based, for that matter. The guys on the bridge seemed to be somehow essential to the quest, so my guess you couldn't avoid them even if you tried. Moreover, based on video I think this is not a free-roam explorative RPG.

How do people actually think this combat looks good? It looks brutal to me, completely mindless, I'd take KOTOR's semi-realtime method any day over this. It looks horrible, I wasn't going to mention it, but hearing all teh praise has me scratching my head. You guys think this actually looks fun?

How do people actually think this combat looks good? It looks brutal to me, completely mindless, I'd take KOTOR's semi-realtime method any day over this. It looks horrible, I wasn't going to mention it, but hearing all teh praise has me scratching my head. You guys think this actually looks fun?

Ding!

The fun is down to the game system. But I agree about the over-praise. I keep hearing how "fluid and natural" the combat is and I go to look and...

Well let's just say that the combat animations are a step in the right direction but nothing to write home about. After being kicked in the face by stuff like DMC4 (btw, sorry I ever doubted!!) lately, I am suprised by the heaps of praise White Knight is getting.

Back