Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

Level 5 have produced some noteworthy RPGs. DQVIII probably earned them a lot of respect. Rogue Galaxy was also a good title.

I hope it's good.
I was somewhat disappointed with the vids posted on Gamersyde.

The boss character in the vid was pretty good, but the White Knight just didn't do it for me. I believe it's from when the character first acquires the armor.

I got a look at this game this weekend. Only about 3 hours in but I am pretty impressed with what I have seen on a technical level.

The graphics are so extremely clean looking. Extremely high level of IQ. The artistic style is not going to be for everyone, (It's very Japanese) but it is very consistent as well unique in style. Also the world is lovingly detailed. It's not photo realistic. It looks more like an anime in 3D.

The most impressive thing was there is (almost) no loading in the game in the game. You can wander around pretty good sized areas and go in and out of buildings and there is no loading or interruption. A door opens and you walk through it. It doesn't matter if you are transitioning from outside to inside or not. After playing a lot of Fallout3, you just get used to seeing a lot of loading screens whenever you hit a door. So seeing this kind of smooth transition really impressed me.

The graphics are frankly beyond what I was expecting for this title. I was expecting a crap load of CG cut scenes based on the trailers. And there are quite a few cut scenes but they all seem to be real time in game. Or at least the transitions are so smooth you cannot tell the difference between the pre rendered cut scenes and the real times ones.

Because you have a player character with a completely customizable appearance that appears in story cut scenes. I expect the majority of the cut scenes have to be real time. Though I'm sure a couple will be pre rendered.

The player creation stage where you customize the characters appearance is very advanced. It's right up there with any of the western games that have this feature these days. The character you create is not the main playable character. He or she is basically the party member the main character gets. But it levels up can equip items etc just like the lead story character.

Combat wise it is very MMORPG style and not JRPG style. I'm not really getting into it so far. It is just OK for me. Hopefully it improves as the game progresses.

Only other gripe so far is that like Fallout there are a hell of a lot of people to talk to inside the towns. But aside from the main plot characters, there is no voice acting for them. Just text boxes. It can make the world feel a little bit sterile at times.

lol, thought it was too good to be true, however is still the best look jrpg on current consoles, or atleast the most polished?

Valkyria Chronicles has set a formidable standard. But what the heck, the more quality games, the better.

lol, thought it was too good to be true, however is still the best look jrpg on current consoles, or atleast the most polished?

It actually does look really good for the style it is going after. I don't get how people can say it looks "PS2.5" (that's coming from the PS3 fanbase).

I wish I could play this game right now.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/12/white-knight-chronicles-sells-more-japanese-ps3s-than-mgs4/

The latest Japanese hardware sales figures show White Knight Chronicles' continued impact throughout the region. Numbers rose from 45,989 during WKC's launch week to 60,654 the next. A rare occurrence, as sales have tended to substantially drop the week after a big release in the past. In fact, the increase means that White Knight Chronicles has sold more PS3s during its two-week launch period than Metal Gear Solid 4.

The Japanese gamers seem to like it. Would be pleasantly surprised if it's another premium RPG experience right after Valkyria Chronicles. :yes:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/12/white-knight-chronicles-sells-more-japanese-ps3s-than-mgs4/

Quote:
The latest Japanese hardware sales figures show White Knight Chronicles' continued impact throughout the region. Numbers rose from 45,989 during WKC's launch week to 60,654 the next. A rare occurrence, as sales have tended to substantially drop the week after a big release in the past. In fact, the increase means that White Knight Chronicles has sold more PS3s during its two-week launch period than Metal Gear Solid 4.

The Japanese gamers seem to like it. Would be pleasantly surprised if it's another premium RPG experience right after Valkyria Chronicles. :yes:

It is actually pretty normal. In Japan, children receive money from their family members during the new years holiday. Toy and game sales peak on that particular week. It is not directly related to WKS being released the week before. Kids who probably intending to buy a PS3 for some time now finally got the cash to go out and do so.

It is actually pretty normal. In Japan, children receive money from their family members during the new years holiday. Toy and game sales peak on that particular week. It is not directly related to WKS being released the week before. Kids who probably intending to buy a PS3 for some time now finally got the cash to go out and do so.

Ah! That all important thing called context. :D

Any updated impressions?

How could I have forgotten about this tradition ? Welcome, rich Japanese kids (even if it's only for a day or so) :p

Patsu, your an intelligent fellow, why do you read stuff on a site called PS3fanboy.com ?

It's a joystiq site (which isn't really saying much for its quality) but it's a good source for PS3-specific news. The commenters will make your head hurt, but the PS3 cheering is fairly muted.

... and I seldom judge a site by its name. Conversely, I don't automatically trust any site called honestopinions.com :)

From the sound of it, it looks like Sony is uncertain about bringing it to the West. If not Sony, then I believe Ubisoft will bring it to NA. I just hope it doesn't take a year waiting as it sounds like localization hasn't even started yet from that interview.

Back